Maine

Our babies have finally arrived. We even received an extra female! DH and I are soo excited and a wee bit nervous, much as first time parents can tend to be! Bringing DOMs back!!

Congrats on hatch McKenney.

Congrats on Doms, J and M

Jazzor: When my BSL started laying, she laid a lot of "rubber eggs", sometimes 2 in one day. It's just a glitch in the conveyor belt when the egg passes through too quickly to get the shell applied. I expect that it will correct it'self. Sometimes, a hen at the end of her reproductive cycle will chronically lay shell-less eggs. When I was a kid, I had a pet broiler hen that never bothered to put a shell on her eggs. If I had been able to stick a frying pan under her at the right time, I would have been all set for breakfast!

I'm expecting eggs to hatch tomorrow night.

What an incredibly beautiful day it was today! Brooder is all scrubbed, and ready for shavings.

Our babies have finally arrived. We even received an extra female! DH and I are soo excited and a wee bit nervous, much as first time parents can tend to be! Bringing DOMs back!!
Congrats!!!!!!!!
clap.gif

So exciting and interesting to read about all the new babies coming. They are so sweet! Makes me think maybe next year I will get a few more chickens. There are so many more interesting breeds to check out.
I tried to be a good mother to one of my white leghorns today. She has been pretty grungy from winter anyway and then today. Went through puddles and landed in a dust bathing area. She was covered with black mud from head to toe. So I gave her s bath on the back porch. She proceeded to go back to the dust bath area and was worse than before. I ended up giving her a bath and blow dry in the bathroom. Then let her finish drying in the coop. Half way through I'm thinking "what am I doing?". She looks all white and fluffy now. I guess her sister should be next. Although I felt like a crazy person bathing a chicken in my house!

I'm from the Bangor area and this weekend I will be going to N. Conway, NH and driving home on Monday. I'm looking for some Wyandotte chicks, either SLW or BLRW. Does anyone know if I might be able to find any of these chicks in my travels through Western Maine or even that area of NH?

Seriously? Off by a day! I live right on the Fryeburg/Conway line and as of last night I had smooth and frizzled SLW chicks (as well as an adorable mix of "mutts"). If you're coming through again in a month I can help you out.

I thought I'd share pictures of the chicks I'm hanging onto. I kept out two SLW/Marans mixes (both females). One has a double jointed wing... Odd right? I also kept a frizzled SLW/Buff Orp pullet and an frizzled SLW/? roo. Here they are in all their cuteness:

I'm not sure what kind of markings that Orp will have, but her wings are so beautiful. She is such a doll. She's also the only one not yet named. My daughter doesn't like to rush into these things. The roo is something french my husband came up with. I can't pronounce it, so I'm calling him Bill. My son named the all black marans Hailey and I named the black and white marans Dottie Speckles.

Back
Top Bottom