Maine

Quailtrail, Ameraucana eggs can be really hard to see through. Unless they start to smell, I would leave them all in there, you may be surprised (hopefully!).

LG, I understand that a warm dark place might be nice for chicks that just hatched. My brooder is always kind of dark now because I switched to the Ecoglow instead of heat lamps. They are pricey, but I've never regretted buying it. It seems like someone could make their own Ecoglow for not much money, but that would be a job for someone who has time to experiment with temperature and materials (not me).

Quailtrail, Ameraucana eggs can be really hard to see through. Unless they start to smell, I would leave them all in there, you may be surprised (hopefully!).

LG, I understand that a warm dark place might be nice for chicks that just hatched. My brooder is always kind of dark now because I switched to the Ecoglow instead of heat lamps. They are pricey, but I've never regretted buying it. It seems like someone could make their own Ecoglow for not much money, but that would be a job for someone who has time to experiment with temperature and materials (not me).
thanks! I will just wait and see...

Not good. I had 2 hatch (I had to help one of them) and I think that's going to be it... just cracked one open and it looks like it died at day 19 or 20- assuming the rest are the same. :(
Aw, shucks. Do you think it was an incubator issue? I'm just starting to learn about hatching eggs, and it seems like there are a lot of variables involved.

Congratulations on your two!

I was wondering how I could make my Cochins go broody? She was last summer in August but I'd like to put some Sebastopol geese eggs under her cuz I was told there hard to incubate
Also, if a person never removed a roosters spur before, is it to late to do it if he's 15months now?

I will let you know on the Sebastopol incubation. I have three in the incubator as we speak. I will try to candle them in a few days.

Just went to the "chick event" at the Aubochon in Lisbon. They had partridge rocks, buff orpingtons, and light brahmas for sale. I brought home six buff orpingtons and just realized one of them is feathered down the legs. Might have a cochin in the mix? Not sure, I'd be happy if I did though. I like em. We'll see what comes of it!

Photo update:

I am a buff orpington

I am not a buff orpington

The five silkies in the brooder were protesting the new chicks. Standing up where the new ones can't yet go.

Last edited:
Okay I have to give another thumbs up
thumbsup.gif
to Longhorn in Buxton. I went in today just to get one square bale (~40 lbs) of hay to get me through until tomorrow. There was a screw up with my direct deposit on my paycheck yesterday so my checking account was not credited with the money.
he.gif
It now will not go in until Monday but of course there were things I needed to buy this weekend just to get by until the money appears such as gas, dog food, toilet paper, lunch stuff for next week and hay. I had enough for everything but the hay. Or at least a round bale of hay (700 pounds). So when I went to Longhorn the owner saw me pull in and automatically went to get a round bale. I told him the issue and said I had enough to get a square bale and would be back tomorrow after I turned in my spare change to get the cash for a round bale. He just said dont worry. You are a good customer and I am not worried. Take the bale now and pay us later. Now that is customer service at its best.

My hatch is winding down. I have 6 - 7 unpipped eggs, but some of them are knocking and rocking. Several pips that are making slow progress and all the rest are out and doing well of 25 that went into lock down. I'm pleased with this hatch. They all look healthy, their feet look good. Good ratio of pullets to roos in the sex links. And I think, if I can figure out the genetics, I can accurately sex the rest of them. The EE: Several are dark colored: I'm guessing female, and several have much brighter striping, and more yellow down: I'm guessing male. The EE x RIR crosses, also appear to be easily sexed... if only I can figure it out. About 1/2 of them are yellow/white with chipmunk striping. The other 1/2 of them are light brown/red with more prominent chipmunk striping. I'm inviting anyone who has info to contribute regarding sexing these EE x RIR chicks. Thanks!

FYI: I did a modified dry hatch, letting the humidity rock back and forth between 10% and 30%, increased to 40 - 45% when they were on second day of lock down. Got a bit nervous and added a second sponge after the first one hatched, but the humidity would have been fine without it. Home made incubator, Styrofoam with computer fan, 2 x 40W light bulbs, and bimetal thermostat. Opened the incubator occasionally during hatch to remove shells, clip one umbilicus, and remove the rambunctious chicks that kept sitting on the eggs waiting to hatch.

Just went to the "chick event" at the Aubochon in Lisbon. They had partridge rocks, buff orpingtons, and light brahmas for sale. I brought home six buff orpingtons and just realized one of them is feathered down the legs. Might have a cochin in the mix? Not sure, I'd be happy if I did though. I like em. We'll see what comes of it! Photo update: I am a buff orpington [COLOR=B42000] [/COLOR] I am not a buff orpington [COLOR=B42000] [/COLOR] The five silkies in the brooder were protesting the new chicks. Standing up where the new ones can't yet go.
Wouldn't the feather-leg be a light Brahma? I'm so glad I don't live near there. I love my light Brahma. Congratulations on everyone's hatches, and sorry for those that did not go well this time. I hope I will be hatching sometime in the next month or two.

Back
Top Bottom