Maine

You have received some very sound advice. Remember that our birds have to survive a Maine winter - which is not usual circumstances in other parts of the country. Our birds are some days confined to the coop due to weather (active blizzard or bad wind chills) - so your coop needs to be big enough to accommodate that without your birds killing each other when they're cooped up. There are ways of reducing the picking at each other (ie lots of food/flock block) but it's not a lifestyle that you want to continue day in and day out. You will want a minimum of 4 square foot per bird. You will want more if you don't plan on getting up early every single day and letting them out to roam their run or free range at sunrise or if you don't plan on shoveling out the run after each snow storm. Those two examples means they'll be cooped up more and will require more space.

My neighbor bought a fairly nice coop from Roots, Coops and More. However, any time you buy a pre-fab coop you'll find the construction is skimped a bit. It might not be made out of the best lumber, or the right size lumber (ie 2x4 instead of 2x6 or not pressure treated so it will sag eventually) or even right spacing (they might go every 18 inches instead of 12). If you have the will, the money and the tools, I suggest looking here and finding a coop that you like and build it to suit your needs.

As far as "cold" breeds go - I have had a wide variety of birds, from leghorns with huge combs, to banties, to naked necks to showgirls, and everything pretty much survives the winter, with some good fall preparation. I don't heat my coop, either. But my coop is solid, blocks wind, and my birds are well taken care of. There may be small nips of frostbite in the winter on some birds, but they all survive. I'm actually surprised that on really cold days it's my leghorns and banties that are out and the "fat girls" - brahma, orps, etc - are inside. As long as you research and educate yourself and PREPARE and WORK pretty much most breeds will work here.

Last edited:
Hi, I'm Kate, I live in Scarborough next to Scarborough Beach & I'm just getting started on the research phase of this whole BYC idea.. We want them for eggs and as pets, and are thinking we want about 10 hardy (cold climate approved) girls who love to lay eggs. So far we have selected a prefab hen house from Chicken Condos (the urban ultimate plus 6' run) but haven't ordered it yet. For now, I'm researching and learning!
Kate

Welcome Kate. You're going to have fun with your flock. Check out Henderson's chicken breeds chart. You might look into buying a shed from Lowes or Home depot, and adding your own amenities to turn it into a coop. If you have the very basic building skills and tools, it wouldn't be difficult to add a perch, pop door, some extra ventilation, vinyl floor, and some nest boxes. I strongly suggest that you buy a coop that is big enough for you to stand up in! And go BIG!!! Same with your run. Kate, if you're interested in trying some straight run chicks, I have a batch due next weekend. I'm working on breeding small combed , clean legged birds that produce a colorful egg basket. Also thinning out my herd if you want a flock that is already laying.
Thank you, Vardo Chicken! I appreciate your advice!! I will make sure to get enough space, and plan do do free range and have another run.... I have gone to one place so far in search of a locally built coop without finding anything good. I'll keep looking! :)
Kate
PS Why do these coop sellers say chickens enjoy crowding into the coop? I didn't believe that for one second..
These coop sellers misrepresent their product because they want to SELL their product!

This morning, as I was getting ready to leave, I looked out the window to see a huge hawk sitting on an overhang, spying out my coop and run. I hadn't let the flock out yet. Needless to say, the flock ended up being shut in until we got home in the afternoon, since I have not yet put a top on the run. Obviousnewbie, this is just one more example of why it's important to have a big coop and run. My coop is sized for 30 birds, yet with only 25 being shut in for 1/2 a day, they were not happy. My run is sized for 50 birds, but in the winter, they don't use it. One of my neighbors can't let his flock out to enjoy his beautiful pasture (complete with pond, raspberry thickets, and lots of grazing options and hidey places) unless he sits out in the yard with a shot gun to protect his flock from hawks. If he turns his back for a second, he can kiss a bird good bye, and that would happen on a daily basis.

Thank you, Vardo Chicken! I appreciate your advice!! I will make sure to get enough space, and plan do do free range and have another run.... I have gone to one place so far in search of a locally built coop without finding anything good. I'll keep looking! :)
Kate
PS Why do these coop sellers say chickens enjoy crowding into the coop? I didn't believe that for one second..

I built a 20x10 coop/run combo (see pictures at "my coop") and have 5 hens. In the winter, that seems like enough room. They can't wait to get out into the fenced yard as soon as I can let them, though.

Hi!

I'm so excited! I have purchased a coop and run. I took advice to go big, and I got some extra bells and whistles that I think will make my coop ownership less of a pain in the neck. This is basically what the coop looks like, though ours will have a galvanized roof:

I added an electric door, a vinyl floor, insulation, an outlet, a roof that opens, and a large run (covered and winterized), and these tires. I don't love the yellow because it clashes with my house, but this will have to be repainted like all wood does out here (annually at this location--50 feet from ocean). That's actually one of the reasons I wanted a lower profile instead of a tall coop--the wind is horrible here in winter particularly. This coop is 8 feet x 4 feet and I'm thinking a maximum of 6 chickens. I really appreciate all the advice I'm getting here! Thank you!

Now I need to figure out which breed is most able to stand up to a dog (who will be trained until she gets it right!) and then we'll raise them from a young age...

I feel like I'm getting a degree in chickenology.

Kate

This morning, as I was getting ready to leave, I looked out the window to see a huge hawk sitting on an overhang, spying out my coop and run. I hadn't let the flock out yet. Needless to say, the flock ended up being shut in until we got home in the afternoon, since I have not yet put a top on the run.
I'm so glad you noticed that! We rarely see hawks out here, but there have been some eagles. There are no tall trees around, which makes it a less friendly area for them. I bet they were glad to get out after that! Thank you for all your advice.
Kate

I agree. I'm trying to train my puppy to chickens and even my 5 y.o. cat. This puppy has "must chase" hardwired into her mentality. I'm not sure if I'll ever get her trained, or if my chickens will be destined to spend the rest of their lives shuffling back and forth between dog out/chickens in, chickens out/dog in life style. I certainly hope not, as that's not what I envisioned when I got this pup.

Back
Top Bottom