Maine

The Dominique in the first photo gets really upset when she's laid an egg and another hen sits on it. She comes running to the kitchen door making the most horrid noises of something that isn't actually dying while she looks in through the window. When she sees me, she runs to the coop and if I don't follow, she'll come back to the door still making a fuss until I do follow her. Once I get to the coop she'll stand in front of the nest that has her egg in it, screeching and hollering until I take it out from under the other hen. As soon as I have it, she runs back out of the coop and into the garden happy as can be. She's such a tattle tail and I love her so. She also earned the name "Java". She joined my daughter and me on the garden bench one morning a few days after she arrived while I had a cup of iced coffee. She watched me take a sip and then immediately snuck one. It has become the morning routine for us to sit on the bench together while she watches me drink my coffee but I have to watch her or she'll try to drink it. If I don't go out to the bench, she'll come pecking on the kitchen door until I open it. Then she'll stand in the doorway and watch me drink it in the kitchen. When I've finished, she turns around and walks right back out.

Cute story. Over the years I've had a few hens that really made friends with me. One of them, Hoppy, used to follow me around and would stare in the windows at me. She snuck in the house once and gave me a fright. Couldn't find her and it was pitch dark and she had somehow gotten into the garage and was waiting at the top of the stairs like "what, it's bedtime, I am human I sleep in the house."

Of all the breeds I've owned, Doms are the most personable. Not that I've owned a lot of breeds, but they really stand out. So much so, that next spring, if all goes according to plan, I'm going to order 25 Dom chicks. I'll raise them up to wean them off heat, and then sell all but the best of the best. Will hold back at least a trio, or as many as 6, including one roo. Those girls will produce an other generation of awesome BSL/green egg layer pullets, and if I hold back a Dom roo, I'll have a never ending supply of Doms, as well as a ready supply of BSLs from Jack. He makes great babies!!!

Of all the breeds I've owned, Doms are the most personable. Not that I've owned a lot of breeds, but they really stand out. So much so, that next spring, if all goes according to plan, I'm going to order 25 Dom chicks. I'll raise them up to wean them off heat, and then sell all but the best of the best. Will hold back at least a trio, or as many as 6, including one roo. Those girls will produce an other generation of awesome BSL/green egg layer pullets, and if I hold back a Dom roo, I'll have a never ending supply of Doms, as well as a ready supply of BSLs from Jack. He makes great babies!!!

Java and my GSH have become a virtually inseparable duo. The pair of them are always at my heels and the first to help me in the gardens. I love that they get on so well. I'll be getting more of both when the time comes

Quote:

I used to have one hen who learned how to use the cat door and I had to close it up because she wouldn't stop coming into the house. Every bird in my current flock will take every opportunity they can to try to sneak into the house. I trip over them trying to get in without them all the time. I swear my two RSLs do it on purpose. They weave in between my feet, speed up to get a step ahead then turn and stop instantly. hahaha

My chickens love the steps and the porch. I should say loved. Ever since they ate holes in the styrofoam on the foundation, we've kept them in the large ranging areas that are fenced in.
The leghorns are escape artists though. We've clipped their wings, but they still manage to fly out. And they insist on being letting back in through the door. I don't know if they are incapable of flying back in, or if they just prefer my assistance.

Our chickens act the same. Always shooing them off the steps and i had to put pavers over the exposed styrofoam around the house. Well what was left of it once we noticed what they were up to.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. I guess we will be raking some leaves and pine needles out of the woods this weekend. I had read somewhere to layer leaves, pine needles and grass clippings. Then chickens will turn and blend most of it? Then just take our fork and turn the rest as needed? Can anything green go in? We have been cutting down bamboo that takes over part of the driveway edge each year, I was thinking of pulling the leaves off those.

Absolutely. Put any garden/yard debris in that you can get your hands on. I draw the line at stuff that has been treated with pesticide/herbicide. Wouldn't use dog/cat poo or cat litter either, but would be willing to use stable litter in the run.

Pests galore here. Ground hog has been coming out every afternoon and evening and taunting us. We've fired shots at him 3 days in a row (and obviously missed!) and he keeps coming back for more. I put out a carrot for him this afternoon. He's not found it yet. I may put out some cracked corn for his dining pleasure. Hawks are a terror. Killing all the song bird babies. One robin has had 2 broods of chicks wiped out by him. Several times/day, the song birds all join forces and make a huge ruckus and drive him away. He doesn't go more than 1000' before coming right back. Evil creature.

Back
Top Bottom