Maine

Why is it when I finally find something I am looking for on Craigslist it has to be too far away for me to justify making a trip ?
he.gif
In this case I saw an ad for a trio of Icelandic chickens at a good price. Unfortunately they are all the way in Lubec. That would be about 245 miles one way. I'd like some Icelandics but not that much.

Why is it when I finally find something I am looking for on Craigslist it has to be too far away for me to justify making a trip ?
he.gif
In this case I saw an ad for a trio of Icelandic chickens at a good price. Unfortunately they are all the way in Lubec. That would be about 245 miles one way. I'd like some Icelandics but not that much.

Don't beat yourself up! I already bought birds from the Lubec people (DH loves marathon drives) and I'm not sure I would recommend it. They advertised true Ameraucanas, stating specifically that they were NOT EEs, buy 1, get 2 free. What I got was 2 EEs, and a black bird that might possibly be a true Ameraucana, hard to tell. I also got a Barnevelder, an Ancona, and a Golden Cuckoo Marans, and they all look like they should. I was told they were 6 months old, but they were around 4 months. Only the Ancona has started laying (I love that crazy bird!).

The guy told DH they get a lot of their eggs from e-bay. They could be beautiful Icelandics from great stock, but I wouldn't bet on it. If it were summer, I'd recommend going up and camping for a night, since it is such a gorgeous area, and checking out the birds as an aside, but I wouldn't make a special trip.

I guess that depends on the hen. 1 week is quite an age difference for new hatches and other babies. I have one that was a singles- he still looks for his mom and they've been separated for at least 1 month (it's 12 weeks old now)
I let that chick loose and mom and the other are in different pens- goes from pen to pen but is liking the LF pen instead of the silkie pens now (foster mom was a silkie- it's a LF wyandotte)
Quote:
Do you think she would take them that late? The one that hatched did it on Tuesday... so it'll be a week older than your hatchlings. I don't know what to do. I'm going to take away the last 3 eggs in the morning. Maybe she'll be ok with just 1? What would you do?

you might see if they are planning on coming part way or advertise looking for transport- worth a try.

Don't beat yourself up! I already bought birds from the Lubec people (DH loves marathon drives) and I'm not sure I would recommend it. They advertised true Ameraucanas, stating specifically that they were NOT EEs, buy 1, get 2 free. What I got was 2 EEs, and a black bird that might possibly be a true Ameraucana, hard to tell. I also got a Barnevelder, an Ancona, and a Golden Cuckoo Marans, and they all look like they should. I was told they were 6 months old, but they were around 4 months. Only the Ancona has started laying (I love that crazy bird!).

The guy told DH they get a lot of their eggs from e-bay. They could be beautiful Icelandics from great stock, but I wouldn't bet on it. If it were summer, I'd recommend going up and camping for a night, since it is such a gorgeous area, and checking out the birds as an aside, but I wouldn't make a special trip.

i swear i have the strangest animals. I have a newfoundland that doesnt like water, a german shepherd that is afraid of the dark, and now a half grown sizzle roo who is dominating the full grown cochin roo and taking his flock. My cochin is almost as big as my 2 year old daughter, and my sizzle is the size of a kitten...and yet the cochin runs from everything and never takes care of the girls and the sizzle stands his ground and defends the ladies. its my little funny farm i guess :)

I think the light is changing!!!!!
yesss.gif

Or maybe it's the added moonlight we'd had.....and the stronger light when we get sunny days like this one.

I got a dozen eggs from my hens & pullets today, which is a lot for a day so far this year

And they weren't frozen or too cold, which is WONDERFUL!!!

I have one full incubator - some risky eggs from me and folks from "AWAY"

And now I'm gonna fill another one cause I'm a CRAZY CHICKEN LADY!!!!!
celebrate.gif

nothing wrong with hatching now joanie, afterall, spring swaps will be here soon and what sells is POL hens.

I think the light is changing!!!!!
yesss.gif

Or maybe it's the added moonlight we'd had.....and the stronger light when we get sunny days like this one.

I got a dozen eggs from my hens & pullets today, which is a lot for a day so far this year

And they weren't frozen or too cold, which is WONDERFUL!!!

I have one full incubator - some risky eggs from me and folks from "AWAY"

And now I'm gonna fill another one cause I'm a CRAZY CHICKEN LADY!!!!!
celebrate.gif

Back
Top Bottom