Maine

I can't do ducks until I get these chickens and geese tied up. But I want a couple meat ducks. sigh

MORE Am babies, more more more. I just love these little babes. I think the twins this morning are blue :)

Now about the pots.... I don't mind the price so much if they are the nice terra cotta ones. I will use them as a feature as well as portability for my strawberries so that I can take them with me when I leave here. They are one crop you just never want to wait for.

Bags??

Last edited:
With the help of my FIL, we got the coop unloaded yesterday morning! The first coating has been applied & we're hoping to get the second one done sometime during the evening/afternoon this week. Need to go to longhorns soon for more shavings, food and possibly upgrade to bigger feeders & waterers. I'm excited to get my hens into they're own little house & I'll miss having them on my breezeway but it will be nice reclaim that area of the house!

Yay for new birds! Quick visit with Ash resulted in a few new ladies for the flock...Thanks!
wink.png

Now to find this rooster a new home or he is going to be dinner by the end of the week....

FINALLY!

Weather to let started birds OUTDOORS!

And some sun for the older hens!

I have a cross that looks just like the little one on the top left-- boy too. Those Cochins on the bottom are so nice. I was just telling Mainechick how my 15 mos old will go in and pick up the buff cochin banty we have. She LOVES her. She will sit that bird in her lap and that little bird will sit there and fall asleep in her lap without babe holding on. Babe's feet will wave as she declares, "Happy!" I am not really a bantam person but these moments are like bullets of sunshine to my heart. I HAVE to keep this little bird now.

I'm so excited... just a little bit of work to do on the coop before the chickens can move in. Hopefully, tomorrow or Wednesday. And today, I took a bunch of them out and allowed one of my cats to supervise. He only gave chase once, and several times, several of them came over to inspect him... got within about a foot without incident. He spent most of his time lurking behind a straw bale, all the better to see them. This is the wimpy cat... will try the hunter tomorrow. All hope is not lost, perhaps I can do some supervised free range after all without the cats eating them.

We have wild turkeys behind the house, gobbling every evening. I hope there's some nesting going on. Any one know when wild turkeys are setting??? Perhaps we won't have the tick problems that we had last year!!!

Pheww!! The garage chicks are now in a mini-pen in the coop. I put them in the big pen after kicking the big girls out to forage while we worked inside. They were so funny to watch...running, flying, & checking everything out. DH herded everyone into the coop while I scooped them up from the pop door and into the mini-pen. Let the rest of the flock back in. They were also funny to watch! The 3 cochins came in first...the look on their faces was WTH??!! Lots of peeping from the chicks at bedtime tonight.

My Sizzles have gone broody so my sister brought over 10 eggs--5 each. When I checked on them the next morning, one girl had only 2 eggs under her. Then I watched them steal an egg from each other...stuffed her head right under the other and beaked it out. I hope they will co-parent well.

The jail is done! My 25 chicks are 3 weeks old and the brooder was crowded and crazy. I made a big push to finish the jail and get them out of the house this weekend. One of the 2x4s cracked when we tried to move it with the tractor (this is old used lumber), but it did not self-destruct. I hope the chicks survived their first night out. I gave them the Ecoglow since some are not well-feathered yet. So quiet in here now....

This weather! Finally. Now if only the cold nights would go away. Who else risked planting out, Hoppy? I did the same two days ago and sadly lost most of my brassica seedlings again! I think it was more transplant shock than the frost though. The celery, spinach, lettuce, radishes and Chard are looking good though. Not sure about the beets, carrots and parsnips :( I planted a bunch of seeds along with the seedlings so hopefully I will still get broccoli, brussels sprouts and cauliflower. This is our first time gardening really so it is a lot of trial and error. I have learned a lot about growing from seeds this spring...Mainly; I need a greenhouse and more grow lights!

I picked up my meaties from Paris Farmers Union the other day. First time with chicks too! SO CUTE! I got Bronze Turkeys and Red Rangers. The turkeys are so outgoing and friendly. They are the opposite of what I was expecting of them. I am trying very hard not to dote on these guys. Can't wait to get the rest of my layers from Ash so I can feel free to love them
love.gif

Now to put a chicken fence around all 250' of garden perimeter....Anyone have any fencing they are looking to get rid of?

Back
Top Bottom