Maine

Hello Fellow Mainers,

I have a stupid fox problem! I had 13 chickens now I am down to 8 or 7. About half an hour ago the stupid box returned and got another chicken or two :( I am so mad at these stupid foxes. They attack in the middle of the afternoon! I let the birdies free range. I want to put up a fence. My question is how tall should the fence be? I have RIRs and two easter eggers. I know the RIRs like to fly over fences. We had them fenced in when they were young last year and they were great escape artists. I am getting very frustrated with all these predators. I can't shoot the fox, they are just too quick! Will the foxes climb the fence? Is a fence worth the investment?

PS. We just culled our RIR rooster. He was also "special needs" and a jerk! Had enough of him. Never protected the girls from the foxes! He was the first to run away.

So sorry Ash. Did that son of a gun get in or try to pull them thru or just have a murder spree. Wow, would not know what emotion to have either, not much you can do but protect the rest, or try to. It seems to be a particularily bad year for predators, our winter was too mild. Good for us, but not for our kids. Now I am afraid to put my month old ducklings out in a chain link enclosure. They are too friendly and would probably try to shake a racoon hand. Not good...

It was probably the wind that blew the elle door open. We had an extension cord running out it so it needed a little extra push to really shut. BUT the wind is severe here sometimes and pushes doors open all the time. It was open. I assume it was a raccoon because all four birds were dead and they had been partially pulled through the pens and were apart on the floor.

I am pretending that it didn't happen. I am embarrassed mostly because firstly I can handle that emotion and secondly I had told people I was going to show. I have a neighbor coming up who is new to chickens and excited to come to their first show. She knew I had birds and I just can't tell her what happened. I am trying so hard to build a reputation as a respectable farmer here. "She left the door open and all those fancy chickens got et!" No thanks.

I think I will come to the show. I should support everyone else and keep learning. I might even pick up some eggs. Which reminds me; there is peeping in the bator again :) That helps in a small way. I still feel like an A_S_S though

It was probably the wind that blew the elle door open. We had an extension cord running out it so it needed a little extra push to really shut. BUT the wind is severe here sometimes and pushes doors open all the time. It was open. I assume it was a raccoon because all four birds were dead and they had been partially pulled through the pens and were apart on the floor.

I am pretending that it didn't happen. I am embarrassed mostly because firstly I can handle that emotion and secondly I had told people I was going to show. I have a neighbor coming up who is new to chickens and excited to come to their first show. She knew I had birds and I just can't tell her what happened. I am trying so hard to build a reputation as a respectable farmer here. "She left the door open and all those fancy chickens got et!" No thanks.

I think I will come to the show. I should support everyone else and keep learning. I might even pick up some eggs. Which reminds me; there is peeping in the bator again :) That helps in a small way. I still feel like an A_S_S though
Don't take the loss personally. As folks are saying, it's a tough year where predators are concerned. Coons are vicious animals. I know you oppose shooting. What about a live trap? I can bet that he or they will be back.

Well the goat show was a bust. Must have been all the rain. We drove down to Windsor and there were only a few vehicles there. We decided to just cut our losses and head home.

This rain is a PAIN!

But thanks for posting. I was wondering if we would have to compete with the goat show on Sunday for some place to set up under cover!

I've already loaded the car with show crates, but at daybreak tomorrow, I'm gonna load my bantam cochins, LF cochins & d'Uccles I have to sell.....

AND the show birds!!

wee.gif

One thing about all this rain I didn't have to worry about watering the geraniums I planted at the cemeteries today. I was absolutely drenched but it was worth it. Almost thought that I wouldn't be able to plant the flowers this year. No one had any of the 4" seed geraniums in stock when I looked last weekend. I couldn't afford to buy any of the expensive flowers and has resigned myself to not keeping up the tradition I had known since I was a small child. My father and I would go every year to Yarmouth to plant geraniums on the graves of my grand-parents, great grand-parents and their three sons who died in infancy, an uncle, an aunt and her daughter. Then we would go to Portland to do the same with my mother's relatives. Oddly enough I never knew most of the people I was honoring. They all passed away long before I was born. Fortunately Home Depot had some today and for $0.88 ea. I was able to use a gift card and buy more than enough geraniums for the graves and to plant at home.
'

Is there an entry fee (for the public) for the show tomorrow? We'd like to come, but it's far enough away that if we have to pay to get in as well as pay for the gas...we may not. Cheaper to stay at home and read...

Boy the turkey poults are LOUD today. They are two weeks old and peeping up a storm. Don't know what they are complaining about since they are in the dry basement with a heat lamp and fresh food and water. They could be outside like the other birds playing in the mud and trying to stay dry. Even the ducks look a bit peeved with the weather.

Hello Fellow Mainers,

I have a stupid fox problem! I had 13 chickens now I am down to 8 or 7. About half an hour ago the stupid box returned and got another chicken or two :( I am so mad at these stupid foxes. They attack in the middle of the afternoon! I let the birdies free range. I want to put up a fence. My question is how tall should the fence be? I have RIRs and two easter eggers. I know the RIRs like to fly over fences. We had them fenced in when they were young last year and they were great escape artists. I am getting very frustrated with all these predators. I can't shoot the fox, they are just too quick! Will the foxes climb the fence? Is a fence worth the investment?

PS. We just culled our RIR rooster. He was also "special needs" and a jerk! Had enough of him. Never protected the girls from the foxes! He was the first to run away.

Your fence should be high as... a 12 gauge shotgun. No really... find a gun, go to the range, practice, get the fox. We shot ours with a .22 handgun. Certainly not the "right" instrument but the one we're the most comfortable and accurate with.

Honestly I've got a 6 foot high fence and the foxes don't get the chickens IN the fence but I still have biddies fly out and decide to free range all day on their own. Those and the ducks the fox gets.

the sale area will be under cover in the new sheep barn (next to the poultry barn) and that is also where we will have our auction and raffle table.

the sales area has some spots reserved and the remaining spots are first come. cages are available and already set up if someone wants to use them both bantam and lg fowl sizes. set up fee to sell is $10. if any one has anything for either the raffle table (generally new or handmade items) or the auction, which can be anything including birds, hatching eggs, household items etc in good condition. all items are donated and the resulting money benefits the club to help with show expenses and other things.
If anyone that is entered would like to know their exhibitor number, pm me but warning, i still have alot to do to get ready so I will try to get back to you, but I may not. make sure to pick up an exhibitor list at the show (at the show secretary's desk)

This rain is a PAIN!

But thanks for posting. I was wondering if we would have to compete with the goat show on Sunday for some place to set up under cover!

I've already loaded the car with show crates, but at daybreak tomorrow, I'm gonna load my bantam cochins, LF cochins & d'Uccles I have to sell.....

AND the show birds!!

wee.gif

Ash, a predator loss does not reflect on your reputation as a respectable farmer! And I can attest to the wind at your place. It was windy even on the relatively calm day that I was there. You'll probably need to find a way to bolt that door.

anyasmifya, that is a smart fox, not a stupid one. I don't know how high fox can climb, but a fence would at least slow them down so you could get a good shot off, especially since they are showing up in broad daylight. So sorry for your losses. I think I would leave the hens locked up for a while.

I am also frustrated by the rain. Our soil is sandy and well-drained, but we are getting standing water in the garden. I did plant some of the peppers out in the hoop house today, but it is so cold that I'm not sure it was a good idea.

Back
Top Bottom