Maine

awesome idea for a coop, I want a house like that!

My Dad is dropping of his game cam for me tomorrow.... Husband went out looking for the predator all through the woods- it would have been taken care of if he could have spotted it...

We lost chickens today too. My husband came home and found one hiding in the bushes, missing some feathers and had a broken toe, then went to investigate- he found one dead, completely intact, across the brook, one way across the road and a good way into the woods, dead and head missing, and one is completely unaccounted for. What would do this in the middle of the day? The only thing I can think of might be a fisher? It had to be 3 that we raised from day olds..
sad.png
So sorry, That sucks...

Dita Von cluck and Mainechick, so sorry to hear about your losses! It is so sad losing birds, and frustrating if you don't know what happened. Are there lose dogs in your area, Mainechick? It is weird that nothing ate them. I know weasels bite the head off, but probably other animals do that too. I hope you can figure out what happened.

I'm so sorry about all the losses. :hugs   You may want to invest in a game cam.

As far as the hatching chick goes, I hate to say this, but I know when to intervene just by looking and listening. Has it not progressed for hours? Is the cheeping getting weaker, is it moving less? Can you see if the membrane is dried inside or not? Those are signs that I'd intervene.
He's making progress, slowly. I need to check on him again (fussy baby), but at last check the hole was ever so slightly bigger and I could see his beak moving through the hole. Going to be a long night keeping an eye on him, good thing I'm a night owl! Fingers crossed he makes it!

I do have one chick that hatched this weekend, she is still pretty weak an smaller than the others. I don't have any chick supplements on hand, is there anything I can do other than sugar water?

I bet that chick hatches overnight, gracejr! When I had a weak chick that would not eat or drink much, I dipped her beak in sugar water, and I mixed a small amount of chick starter with enough water to make a slurry of sorts. I would hold the chick and push small amounts of this paste into the side of her beak. Sometimes she wouldn't open her beak, but eventually she would chirp, and I'd slip some in. You could mix it with yogurt, too, if you have some. Once mine was jump-started, she began eating on her own.

put the egg in a plastic ziplock baggie with a wet paper towel- then back in the incubator. this will create a micro-enviroment, and keep the baby from drying out.

OMG, I'm so upset right now.
sad.png

ping. S I crack another one... And I can see it breathing through the membrane. SOB

Is there anything I can do for that one? It has a large bit of shell missing now, but the membrane is still intact. What do I do?! Needless to say I stuck all remaining eggs back in the incubator and I'm leaving them there for a few more days.

go right to their facebook page and let them know on there. it will get some attenton,.
I wish the lemon law would apply. Sadly it has been a different issue every time. I am certainly not one to shy away from writing letters and complaining about this sort of thing. Hopefully I can get in touch with the local rep and if not I will write to head office. I had a bad issue with a large purchase from Sears once and writing in really did help. It was a hassle but I got a $300 refund on a mattress set I bought because they made so many delivery mistakes and I had to keep taking time off work to deal with it!

I am sorry for people losses.....hatching seems so scary but so much fun too.

on the chick, the bloodvessels should receded before it hatches. to check this, dip a q-tip in warm water and wet the membrane over the chick, if you still see active blood vessels, it's not time yet.

He's making progress, slowly. I need to check on him again (fussy baby), but at last check the hole was ever so slightly bigger and I could see his beak moving through the hole. Going to be a long night keeping an eye on him, good thing I'm a night owl! Fingers crossed he makes it!

I do have one chick that hatched this weekend, she is still pretty weak an smaller than the others. I don't have any chick supplements on hand, is there anything I can do other than sugar water?

I'm so sorry to hear about everyone's losses and troubles.
sad.png
Maybe this story will bring a smile to someone's face. My Dark Brahma cockerel went to his new home out in the country, yesterday. While he was here, he seemed to run a pretty "tight ship." I watched one of my BRs stretch out and flap her wings, one time and he went right after her, as if to say, "We'll have NONE of that!" So, at his new home, he went right after each of his new girls and nipped them all. Later on, they got their revenge, as a thunderstorm passed through. It seems the lead hen wouldn't let him into the house and he had to stand out in the rain and cool off! I'll bet that was funny! Serves him right for being such a jerk!!
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom