Maine

To all who have lost chicks or chickens recently, I'm so sorry for your woes.
hugs.gif
Hugs to all! I had a little one overheat and pass away before I even got it home over the weekend.

I ended up losing a hen and my Australorp rooster this past week. I removed a section of the top from the pen hoping that all the birds would stay in. I needed the piece of wire fencing to fence in the garden. And since the pen is only four feet tall it was a bit difficult to get in and out for me.So of course the next morning the rooster and his girl were waiting for breakfast on the porch. They disappeared the next morning. The ducks are staying put and two of the hens. A third hen does get out in the morning but the others don't follow her so she goes right back in. I have a couple ideas in mind to either raise the height of the top or sides to help prevent escapes. Better yet I have an old run-in shed that would be perfect for a coop. I just need to build a pen off that. Have the idea in my head as to how to do it but what I envision and what I build never look the same. Unless I envision the Charlie Brown Christmas tree style of building then I'm spot on.

All this talk about customer service. I have to say that Lowe's was great in handling an issue with an overcharge I had. I would have been satisfied with just a refund or gift card for the amount of the overcharge but instead I got a gift card for more than double the amount.

My other great service story is from today with my car mechanic. My truck ended up needing rear brake pads, rotors and one caliper. Total cost was $350. He checked the front brakes and saw no issues. I got out of work at 8 tonight and didn't get home until close to 9. He called just after 9 and said he had a morning appointment tomorrow and wouldn't be around at the time when I was going to pick up the truck. Knowing that I really needed my vehicle for tomorrow he came over tonight to give me a ride back to his shop so I could get my truck. So now I have my truck with working brakes.
smile.png

Widget in so glad to hear the happy ending! I was sure he was going to make you wait while reading that.

I have 6 foot fencing on my run, and I have 3 girls that will fly right over it. I had to downsize the pen when they did the septic. Thankfully that means a maple branches out over most of it to impede hawks, but I still worry about the ones that escape.

When I closed up the coop tonight I found two more hens sitting on nests. I guess adding chicks to the pen is the trick - I put the remaining eight 6 week old chicks outside yesterday. So now I have the new chicks inside, a broody orp on a clutch of 6, plus these two, if they stay on them. The Cochin is sitting on at least a dozen eggs since I didn't get them collected yesterday. Not sure about the other orp, but that nest was empty yesterday.

Little Bit, the small chick, didn't make it. :( Humpty Dumpty is still working his way out of the egg. At least I've got plenty of laundry to keep me busy tonight!

Now this... This has nothing to do with chickens, but I need to vent. Today was a special day at my oldest sons school. Grandparents were all invited for tea/snacks and a concert, just for them. MIL promised to come, and never showed. Kaiden spent half the concert looking for her. :( Thankfully my mother and my gram were there. I asked her about it tonight, and MIL forgot. The kicker? It is OUR fault because we didn't remind her yesterday. So, she doesn't own a calendar? Or a phone? Or a planner? She needs US to remind her about HER schedule? SO not thrilled right now!

He's making progress, slowly. I need to check on him again (fussy baby), but at last check the hole was ever so slightly bigger and I could see his beak moving through the hole. Going to be a long night keeping an eye on him, good thing I'm a night owl! Fingers crossed he makes it!

I do have one chick that hatched this weekend, she is still pretty weak an smaller than the others. I don't have any chick supplements on hand, is there anything I can do other than sugar water?
go on line and research "home made electrolyte solution". It can be easily made from items in your kitchen. I've also heard of people using gatoraid, though I can't say if it's the right thing to do.

Newbie question: I've got my net fencing up, but not charged yet. I'ts keeping the birds contained so far, and they're staying under lock and key at night. There are trees surrounding 2 sides of fencing. should I be concerned about predator (coon) dropping down from over hanging trees into run? I'd like to run the fencing closer to the tree line to take advantage of available space and provide extra shade, but don't know if that will compromise the birds safety.

Also, 3 of my roosters are destined for freezer camp this weekend. Can't stand the crowing. They are 14 weeks old. One RIR who is big with nice form, one BSL, also nice form and starting to share tid bits with the hens. Other BSL has crooked toes on one foot. If any one wants them to put into their grow out pens, or for breeders, please let me know ASAP. I'd be happy to give them away so I don't have to butcher them.

This may be an incredibly stupid question, but can chicken combs get sunburned? My hen's comb (shes 11 week) was pale cream not 2 days ago and now it is super bright red. Either she just had a huge spurt of maturity or... I figured since combs can get frostbitten, maybe they can get sunburned too (though I've heard of putting vaseline on to prevent frostbite, but never any discussion on copper tone LOL).

Back
Top Bottom