Maine

I almost died laughing at my chickens today.

I recently integrated 4 birds into the main coop. What I do is put them in a wire cage in the coop for a few days, and then release them after a few days. This protects them from the evil big biddies and shows them where their new "home" is. After being released they usually find their way back to the coop at night, sometimes with a bit of convincing (ie chasing) but it's usually pretty smooth.

On Sunday I moved the next 3 birds into the cage in the coop to be integrated. I was going to release them Tuesday night but it turned out I had to work really late Wednesday and BF would be putting the animals to bed, so he asked that for ease I leave them one more day in the cage. Not a problem. I released them early this morning.

I won't be integrating any more into that coop for some time so I took the cage out of the coop to air and dry out. I left it outside in the run as I was going to grab it on my way back to the house after locking everyone up.

I went outside when it started to get dark to assist if need be. I found the following scene:

... all the regular biddies put themselves to bed in the coop. The 3 new ones found their "home" (albeit moved from its original location) and put themselves to bed in it.
lau.gif

thumbsup.gif
and people think chickens are dumb

Well we found the feather piles from the two missing birds, no carcasses, no blood, but obviously dead birds. We also found a well traveled animal trail leading from a den in the hill behind our house where the feathers were. So now the game camera is up and the birds are locked in tight! Hope tonight we figure out what it is and dont lose anymore birds!

I am thinking coyote, sorry about your birds

I almost died laughing at my chickens today. I recently integrated 4 birds into the main coop. What I do is put them in a wire cage in the coop for a few days, and then release them after a few days. This protects them from the evil big biddies and shows them where their new "home" is. After being released they usually find their way back to the coop at night, sometimes with a bit of convincing (ie chasing) but it's usually pretty smooth. On Sunday I moved the next 3 birds into the cage in the coop to be integrated. I was going to release them Tuesday night but it turned out I had to work really late Wednesday and BF would be putting the animals to bed, so he asked that for ease I leave them one more day in the cage. Not a problem. I released them early this morning. I won't be integrating any more into that coop for some time so I took the cage out of the coop to air and dry out. I left it outside in the run as I was going to grab it on my way back to the house after locking everyone up. I went outside when it started to get dark to assist if need be. I found the following scene: ... all the regular biddies put themselves to bed in the coop. The 3 new ones found their "home" (albeit moved from its original location) and put themselves to bed in it. :lau
What smart little babies!!

That is funny that your chickens dutifully found their cage, SCG!

I like the cage idea, though. Right now, I have 12 birds in the back section of my coop, getting to know the main flock through chicken wire. But soon, I must take out 6 giant cockerels and integrate them with the younger cockerels in the jail, and 5 pullets will be going into the back section of the coop to meet the older pullets. A few days in the cage will give me peace of mind while I am too busy to monitor them. My vacation will be starting in just a week! I hope to finally put in the rest of the garden and get all the chickens squared away, and then I hope to relax a little.

Just ran home for lunch and found 3 of them had been hiding in a neighbors back yard, he knew they were mine and kept feeding them so they wouldn't take off before I got home! 2 are still gone and I doubt they will be found.
I'm glad you found some of them! Early this week we lost 3- found 2 bodies ( after husband tracked feather trails and such over a huge distance). We have free ranged all day since last spring too- so it is pretty upsetting. By analyzing the type of wounds, some muddy track patterns and such, we are pretty confident that it was a fox, slight chance of bobcat, but more likely fox. They will come during the day sometimes, especially if they have kits to feed. I'm sorry you lost some too, it really stinks!

Rita my broody Orp is hatching today. Yay! She was grumpy when I walked in but hoping to get a good look later

She is in the coop with everyone else. They haven't bothered her while she was brooding, is there anything I need to worry about now?

Also, she was only sitting 6 eggs. Would it be possible to sneak week old chicks under her at night? There are 11 of them. Or would the age difference be too great?

I'm glad you found some of them! Early this week we lost 3- found 2 bodies ( after husband tracked feather trails and such over a huge distance). We have free ranged all day since last spring too- so it is pretty upsetting. By analyzing the type of wounds, some muddy track patterns and such, we are pretty confident that it was a fox, slight chance of bobcat, but more likely fox. They will come during the day sometimes, especially if they have kits to feed. I'm sorry you lost some too, it really stinks!
I'm so sorry to hear this, MC!!! I was getting ready to let everyone free range during the day while we're at work but am re-thinking that decision after hearing from you & others. Both DD & DS will be out of school soon so maybe they can let them out sooner than 4pm each day.

Rita my broody Orp is hatching today. Yay! She was grumpy when I walked in but hoping to get a good look later

She is in the coop with everyone else. They haven't bothered her while she was brooding, is there anything I need to worry about now?

Also, she was only sitting 6 eggs. Would it be possible to sneak week old chicks under her at night? There are 11 of them. Or would the age difference be too great?
Hi gracejr, I just had 2 broodies, the other girls didn't bother them either. The only thing I did when the chicks came was to watch the big girls closely. My first hatch in Feb. I had a rooster who watched over the chicks as well as Momma. There was only 1 big girl that tried to bother them. The roo dealt with her each time she tried. The little ones also learned to stay away from her. I don't have my roo anymore so when one of the big girls decided to go after my new chicks I built a pen within the coop for Momma & the babies. I just didn't like the way she pecked at them. I can't answer about sneaking week olds under your girl along with the newly hatched. I'll leave that to the more experienced on this site. I got a lot of my questions answered over on the Old Fashioned Broody Hen thread. They are happy to answer and don't make you feel stupid for asking! They're good people!

Back
Top Bottom