Maine

I'm so sorry to hear this, MC!!! I was getting ready to let everyone free range during the day while we're at work but am re-thinking that decision after hearing from you & others. Both DD & DS will be out of school soon so maybe they can let them out sooner than 4pm each day.

Hi gracejr, I just had 2 broodies, the other girls didn't bother them either. The only thing I did when the chicks came was to watch the big girls closely. My first hatch in Feb. I had a rooster who watched over the chicks as well as Momma. There was only 1 big girl that tried to bother them. The roo dealt with her each time she tried. The little ones also learned to stay away from her. I don't have my roo anymore so when one of the big girls decided to go after my new chicks I built a pen within the coop for Momma & the babies. I just didn't like the way she pecked at them. I can't answer about sneaking week olds under your girl along with the newly hatched. I'll leave that to the more experienced on this site. I got a lot of my questions answered over on the Old Fashioned Broody Hen thread. They are happy to answer and don't make you feel stupid for asking! They're good people!

In my opinion, week olds are too much of a risk - my broodies don't accept much unless they've hatched it themselves. Others have had luck. The younger the better, and sneak them in there when it first becomes night.

Does anyone have some hatching eggs I can buy?? I'd prefer show quality silkie, Cochin, and maybe some sizzles. I've for broody girls everywhere I look!

Oh and I'm in Gray. I don't mind driving up to about an hour away to get some good eggs. Thanks!!

Last edited:
So where is the bulk feed mill? I know there has to be one, but I can't find it. Found the guys who build the trailers to transport bulk feed, but not the feed itself. I am sick to death of paying through the nose for subpar feed at Agway, etc, but I can't find a mill! There are enough serious farms around that there has to be one - I can't imagine the guys with huge herds of cattle & hogs are buying by the bag... Anyone got the lowdown for me?

How long will a hen sit on eggs once chicks start hatching? She had 6 eggs, two hatched yesterday. Two eggs still intact, not sure on the other two since she won't get off the nest and I don't want to get pecked.

Here are the two we have so far. Very cute! I'm assuming they are both blue, ya?

Found another hen sitting eggs this morning, she's on at least 9 that I saw. Need to get quicker at gathering eggs I guess, we're running low! Doesn't help that the other broody has been stealing eggs I think. Moving her to a dog crate in the coop tonight.

Here's a couple pictures of today's visitor. She had dug a hole to lay her eggs. One of the cats came over to see what was going on. He took one look and then ran off. Smart cat. He wanted nothing to do with this intruder.

I know there is one in dixmont or right in that area. I was told paris farmers union will custom mix feed.
I think I have a bag of feed from aroostook feed mill, not sure where they are located but in maine.

So where is the bulk feed mill? I know there has to be one, but I can't find it. Found the guys who build the trailers to transport bulk feed, but not the feed itself. I am sick to death of paying through the nose for subpar feed at Agway, etc, but I can't find a mill! There are enough serious farms around that there has to be one - I can't imagine the guys with huge herds of cattle & hogs are buying by the bag... Anyone got the lowdown for me?

Last edited:

I find that the food from Blue Seal and Agway is not sub par at all. I find it to be superior to that of TCS in look, texture and smell. The closest mill I know of is out of state.

Back
Top Bottom