Maine

I am about ready to give up on chicks. :(

Just found one of the 3 day old chicks out in the coop with a very broken leg. Bone exposed. Is there anything I can do? I brought her inside, but what now??

My broody Cochin abandoned her nest after a week, so now I have the incubator running. Only problem is, (other than being ready to be DONE having chicks in the house!) there is about a week span in egg development, since other hens would go lay in her nest when she got up to eat. So what the heck do I do about lockdown when the time comes??

At least the remaining chicks from the last incubation are doing well. *sigh*

So sorry about your chick problems, gracejr! I wonder if the leg can be splinted? I've never dealt with an injury like that, nor have I ever had to cull a chick. You might want to ask for advice in the emergency/disease section.

I've never done a staggered hatch either, but people do them all the time, so hopefully others will have advice on that. Good luck!i

I need to get over to the computer so I can search better, such a pain typing on mobile! I did post in emergency. The break comes through the skin on the topside of her leg, so I'm not sure how I'd splint it. My mother decided she wanted to try saving it, so we will see. Otherwise I was going to have Nate cull it when he got home from work.

Memama, I have some adults I've been debating selling. Some white rocks for sure, maybe a few others. Some I am sentimental towards, but they don't all match what I want to work on, trait wise. I did notice a couple of my younger cockerels sneezing tonight though, so nobody would be leaving until after they've been treated.

Cmw, I have a couple pullets that age. I am in standish, 45 minutes or so north of Sanford. They're out with the big flock now though, so I'd prefer to keep them here until being sure the sneezing is gone. None of those girls are sneezing, but I'd ather be safe than sorry. I also have some chicks that are 11 days old, not exposed to the outside birds.

Last edited:
I am about ready to give up on chicks.
sad.png

Just found one of the 3 day old chicks out in the coop with a very broken leg. Bone exposed. Is there anything I can do? I brought her inside, but what now??

My broody Cochin abandoned her nest after a week, so now I have the incubator running. Only problem is, (other than being ready to be DONE having chicks in the house!) there is about a week span in egg development, since other hens would go lay in her nest when she got up to eat. So what the heck do I do about lockdown when the time comes??

At least the remaining chicks from the last incubation are doing well. *sigh*

If it's something that you don't think can be splinted and the bone is coming out, I'd cull. And I'm sorry.

I need to get over to the computer so I can search better, such a pain typing on mobile! I did post in emergency. The break comes through the skin on the topside of her leg, so I'm not sure how I'd splint it. My mother decided she wanted to try saving it, so we will see. Otherwise I was going to have Nate cull it when he got home from work.

Memama, I have some adults I've been debating selling. Some white rocks for sure, maybe a few others. Some I am sentimental towards, but they don't all match what I want to work on, trait wise. I did notice a couple of my younger cockerels sneezing tonight though, so nobody would be leaving until after they've been treated.

Cmw, I have a couple pullets that age. I am in standish, 45 minutes or so north of Sanford. They're out with the big flock now though, so I'd prefer to keep them here until being sure the sneezing is gone. None of those girls are sneezing, but I'd ather be safe than sorry. I also have some chicks that are 11 days old, not exposed to the outside birds.
PM me when you get a chance. Sorry about your chick. I hope it all turns out okay. Don't lose heart.

PM me when you get a chance. Sorry about your chick. I hope it all turns out okay. Don't lose heart.

PM'd you.

Just did a bunch of reading, and now I'm wondering if meds are actually needed? The only symptom I've seen is sneezing. No runny noses that I've noticed, no weakness or lethargy in anyone. I have birds to rehome, and I don't want to sell any if they're sick, but if they're not showing any symptoms other than sneezing, and there are only a couple doing it, what should I do? Is it possible the moisture from all the rain lately is bothering them? Or, I do need to add more shavings to the coop and scoop out the worst parts of the bedding, so maybe that's why?

The disabled chick is with my mother now, she managed to set the bone and splint it, so maybe it will pull through. I had decided to cull, but she wants to give it a chance. Fingers crossed!

Grace- I would be interested in the pullets once you feel they are safe. I am familiar with the Standish area. I like the chicks too, but the age difference would be too much. Thanks!

PM'd you.

Just did a bunch of reading, and now I'm wondering if meds are actually needed? The only symptom I've seen is sneezing. No runny noses that I've noticed, no weakness or lethargy in anyone. I have birds to rehome, and I don't want to sell any if they're sick, but if they're not showing any symptoms other than sneezing, and there are only a couple doing it, what should I do? Is it possible the moisture from all the rain lately is bothering them? Or, I do need to add more shavings to the coop and scoop out the worst parts of the bedding, so maybe that's why?

The disabled chick is with my mother now, she managed to set the bone and splint it, so maybe it will pull through. I had decided to cull, but she wants to give it a chance. Fingers crossed!

Grace, I have a few sneezing right now too- no other symptoms. Last spring this happened to a few too- one got sneezing awful, so I brought her inside for about 24 hours to keep her extra warm and dry, and she made a full recovery. I used VetRX on them last year, and I am again this year. I think it does have to do with the wet weather- a bunch of mine went out and just got soaked a while back when we had a rainy spell.

Gracejr, I noticed one of my Buffs sneezing a few weeks ago with no other symptoms and she's fine now. Someone told me the same thing that it could be the bedding or allergies. She came out of it on her own. Good luck!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom