Maine

There is nothing wrong with being proactive. You could keep the birds and spend time worrying that something may happen down the road that would really ruin all your plans. Or, as you are doing, start fresh and know from day 1 that what you are breeding is as healthy as possible. That will certainly give you more control of your lines. Yes it will be hard at first but the final product will hopefully be worth it.

All these health issues, unknowns and predators are reasons why I just have the birds as pets. Perhaps someday I will really fall in love with a breed and want to breed for the betterment of the breed. But for now I just enjoy my birds. I've bought and sold at swaps before but now find that it is too much work to sell and I don't want to unknowingly sell birds that may be harboring something.

Ash, I get it. My policy is generally no live birds at this house. I will buy eggs if I need something. If I go to someone elses house or to a swap or a show, I wear crocs and those and my clothes go immediately into the washer on HOT HOT HOT and LONG setting with a bit of bleach. It's a bit paranoid, but I caught mites and worms from some swap birds a number of years ago. I don't ever want to have to go through that again.

I wish you luck, Ash. I know you'll do it with love and tenderness, and I hope the sadness isn't too much to bear.

Wow, Ash. I'm not sure I could do that, but I understand what you are saying. It seems like you would need to sterilize your whole facility. Even the song birds carry worms and diseases to our flocks.

That being said, I don't like to add started birds here, either. I've only done it twice. The first time I had a long quarantine and there was no disease, but I was new enough to chickens that I did not know about lice and mites, and had a large outbreak in my flock to treat.

While I like to hatch my own eggs here, I don't have plans to ever sell birds or hatching eggs, so I have a fairly casual approach to the whole chicken keeping hobby. I just want colorful eggs to sell to neighbors and co-workers, and birds to entertain me with their antics. Good luck to you with your fresh start.

And SCG, DH is wondering how the bees are doing?

love.gif
hide.gif
I was not expecting this kind of understanding, esp right out of the gate. Yes, the 'pet' birds are the hardest.

Its rare for song birds to bring things into your flock. Their contact just isn't direct or prolonged enough.

The pens in the barn are being torn out and burned. Lime and a long rest are my plans for it for now. I have a dog house meant to be a coop that's never been used and the Summer Cottage for now. With only two breeds to work with [Javas and Marans] here now that will be enough. There will be a few stragglers who aren't being worked on and if I am lucky a few PC to grow out and work with but I might even order those all new.

The idea of buying a grown out bird is great when you are in a hurry and if you know your source well. But I have realized that there are dealers and breeders/show folks even who don't do more than cull a bird that looks or acts ill. They don't test. They don't treat. I now understand that even they could have birds carrying this or that. So many risks. Some of them say it breeds resistance and strength in their flocks. That sounds good. I am not sure its the right practice though because it glides past birds being asymptomatic carriers which perpetuates a problem rather than overcoming it. Like I said, this has been a heavily debated and weighed issue here. I can't say how much I appreciate the kind of respect and kindness these first posts offer. wow folks.

When I first started all of this one year ago, almost exactly I bought 8 week old birds and had issues right out of the gate. One died shortly after bringing them home. I then bought another year old bird from someone close to here and got lice. NEVER EVER again. Ever. I didn't know what I was doing at all. I was scared to buy chicks without any chicken experience. They seemed so fragile and fraught with issues. Now I know much better. Chicks are hardier than many newbies think.

No matter what sort of hurry people are in I think buying started birds from a source you do not know or trust is not worth it.

love.gif
hide.gif
I was not expecting this kind of understanding, esp right out of the gate. Yes, the 'pet' birds are the hardest.

Its rare for song birds to bring things into your flock. Their contact just isn't direct or prolonged enough.

The pens in the barn are being torn out and burned. Lime and a long rest are my plans for it for now. I have a dog house meant to be a coop that's never been used and the Summer Cottage for now. With only two breeds to work with [Javas and Marans] here now that will be enough. There will be a few stragglers who aren't being worked on and if I am lucky a few PC to grow out and work with but I might even order those all new.

The idea of buying a grown out bird is great when you are in a hurry and if you know your source well. But I have realized that there are dealers and breeders/show folks even who don't do more than cull a bird that looks or acts ill. They don't test. They don't treat. I now understand that even they could have birds carrying this or that. So many risks. Some of them say it breeds resistance and strength in their flocks. That sounds good. I am not sure its the right practice though because it glides past birds being asymptomatic carriers which perpetuates a problem rather than overcoming it. Like I said, this has been a heavily debated and weighed issue here. I can't say how much I appreciate the kind of respect and kindness these first posts offer. wow folks.

Your choice is respectable. It shows your dedication to healthy birds and healthy practice. Right choices are not always easy- more specifically, right choices can be **** hard, but it's the hard work put in that makes things better/right/easier down the road. I don't think I'd have the guts to make a decision like this- one of the reasons why my birds will just be for eggs and fun.
wink.png

Corn here is nearly a knee high here but my Arugula is bolting.  Seeds for fall I hope.

So, been thinking a lot and feel I should share:  I have learned a lot in the past three months about diseases and sales policies, swapping and practices going on in NH as well as here.  Given what I want to do with my flocks and the principles I want to live by I have come to a very difficult decision [although I did have some help from my bf and a few breeders and chicken enthusiasts].  The decision is that I am going to cull all the birds in my barn [I have more than one group/location of birds and this is just one].  These are flocks I have spent more than time and money on, but thought and heart and discipline.  Its not an easy decision.  I am not choosing this because they are sick or exhibit signs of becoming ill or because I have bought from a known source of sick birds.  I am deciding this for several reasons that all spiderweb together.  First and foremost I don't want to take chances and while I have had them for a while I bought them started.  I don't want to wonder if the birds I bought from someone a year or two ago are secret carriers.  I do want to start with 'clean' birds and keep them that way and I want to be able to say I know they all are.  Now is the time.  I can make the choice on my terms.  I can move forward with a flock that is tested and that way also avoid having to get into chemicals which I would rather avoid as a part of my future practices.  People keep asking me if my birds are sick or why do it if they seem fine.  I can't really answer in a clearer way than to say I just feel like I want to take some control of my own peace of mind and the kind of peace of mind I can offer others I share birds with or show with in the future by securing as clean a flock as possible.  I am choosing to take the loss now while I can handle it and where I can be in control of it.  While I know some things are transovarian I feel I am increasing my chances of raising decent birds to be great birds by starting with all new stock out of eggs I hatch here.  Now that I have laid out some of the reasoning ... this is so much harder than I am letting my family know it is.  I  do all the work.  I try not to be attached but  even if the birds aren't named they have their own personalities and memories attached, values beyond just being big named breeder's birds or rare birds or what ever.  Some are the kids favorites.  Some raised chicks here or have stories.  They are all part of an intention and plan I have been working toward ... part of the principles I want to live by.  Its more than education or homesteading.  Its about living a way that feels honest; clean, honest food, honest materials, honest ways of raising our food, honest ways of life/death ....  I am rambling.  This is a loss of more than money and time and if there is anywhere I can just blurt that out its here.   I hate killing them.  I will miss certain faces and eggs :)  Funny how you get to know who laid what based on size or color or both.  But I am going to do this my way, right and know its right or not at all.  Can you tell I was the kid who didn't like to work in groups in school?   I think I am done with swaps too for clear reasons.  Sorry, I like seeing you all, but maybe at shows?  I am not done with birds or educating or any of that.  I hope someone understands.  Or tries.  Be careful everyone. You don't have to be 'proactive' like me.  Just be careful.

You have my respect as well. It sounds like you have really thought it through and are making an informed and responsible decision. Hugs to you for having to let go.
I had a terrible scare early this spring, and for several miserable days and sleepless nights I contemplated the very same decision you just made. I got lucky though. This time. I will not sell birds from my home anymore, I have dedicated chicken shoes that stay out by the coop, and no new birds.
I do believe herd immunity is a good thing and that it is dangerous to mess with mother nature, but, is what I am doing with my birds a natural process? No. I try to find that middle ground.
I hope you find peace in all of this Ash :)

I also think that it's not for no reason the state has stepped up it's poultry monitoring programs. With so many people keeping chickens now and an increase in birds being brought into the state, there is bound to be an increase in pathogens as well.
It cant hurt to be a little bit of a germaphobe!

And SCG, DH is wondering how the bees are doing?

They're doing well, I think. Thanks for asking. I believe I have capped brood (below). I was so nervous in the hive inspection that I forgot to check for eggs. I'd say 7 frames in the original box were drawn out like this, and they were working on number 2 and 9, so I added the second box on Saturday. Probably a bit early, but looking at the weather, I wasn't sure when I'd be able to get back in again, and in about a week we're going to have a population explosion if indeed the below is capped brood.

They were pretty docile. I have to say it sounds terrible when you squish a bee. I felt so bad. I bought a frame grip that should be coming in the mail before my next inspection... hopefully I'll be less clumsy with that.

Corn here is nearly a knee high here but my Arugula is bolting. Seeds for fall I hope.

So, been thinking a lot and feel I should share: I have learned a lot in the past three months about diseases and sales policies, swapping and practices going on in NH as well as here. Given what I want to do with my flocks and the principles I want to live by I have come to a very difficult decision [although I did have some help from my bf and a few breeders and chicken enthusiasts]. The decision is that I am going to cull all the birds in my barn [I have more than one group/location of birds and this is just one]. These are flocks I have spent more than time and money on, but thought and heart and discipline. Its not an easy decision. I am not choosing this because they are sick or exhibit signs of becoming ill or because I have bought from a known source of sick birds. I am deciding this for several reasons that all spiderweb together. First and foremost I don't want to take chances and while I have had them for a while I bought them started. I don't want to wonder if the birds I bought from someone a year or two ago are secret carriers. I do want to start with 'clean' birds and keep them that way and I want to be able to say I know they all are. Now is the time. I can make the choice on my terms. I can move forward with a flock that is tested and that way also avoid having to get into chemicals which I would rather avoid as a part of my future practices. People keep asking me if my birds are sick or why do it if they seem fine. I can't really answer in a clearer way than to say I just feel like I want to take some control of my own peace of mind and the kind of peace of mind I can offer others I share birds with or show with in the future by securing as clean a flock as possible. I am choosing to take the loss now while I can handle it and where I can be in control of it. While I know some things are transovarian I feel I am increasing my chances of raising decent birds to be great birds by starting with all new stock out of eggs I hatch here. Now that I have laid out some of the reasoning ... this is so much harder than I am letting my family know it is. I do all the work. I try not to be attached but even if the birds aren't named they have their own personalities and memories attached, values beyond just being big named breeder's birds or rare birds or what ever. Some are the kids favorites. Some raised chicks here or have stories. They are all part of an intention and plan I have been working toward ... part of the principles I want to live by. Its more than education or homesteading. Its about living a way that feels honest; clean, honest food, honest materials, honest ways of raising our food, honest ways of life/death .... I am rambling. This is a loss of more than money and time and if there is anywhere I can just blurt that out its here. I hate killing them. I will miss certain faces and eggs :) Funny how you get to know who laid what based on size or color or both. But I am going to do this my way, right and know its right or not at all. Can you tell I was the kid who didn't like to work in groups in school? I think I am done with swaps too for clear reasons. Sorry, I like seeing you all, but maybe at shows? I am not done with birds or educating or any of that. I hope someone understands. Or tries. Be careful everyone. You don't have to be 'proactive' like me. Just be careful.
:(

Back
Top Bottom