Maine

Adam holding our very first egg. He was thrilled that it came from HIS chicken.

We actually got the first 2 within minutes of each other. The one on the left is from the Red Sex Link "Blanche II" and the one on the right is from the White Rock "Spyro".

Congratulations on your first eggs. Very exciting!

I got my new birds from 3 Ds up here in the middle of Maine.He was super nice. And has many interesting game birds, even peacocks! And soon he will have emus! Ok, so they are younger than I wanted. But they are super cute and all seem healthy. Here are some photos.

Last photo is my barred rocks they seem to be the youngest out of the group, no tail feathers yet. My question is: How old do you think they are? And should I be giving them heat at night?

I have no experience with younger birds. I think the Polish would be ok, without heat they have more feathers than the rest, but I want to keep them all together.

Thanks!

Are these supposed to be all pullets, because those two BRs look awfully boyish. Males can take longer to feather out too. Very cute though!

More questions!! My BSL is laying a nice big egg. I've gotten 2/day from her the last 2 days, one egg will have a nice shell, and the other will be a "turtle" egg. She was very distressed this afternoon, all hunched up, head drawn in, feathers puffed up, clear viscous liquid leaking out of her vent, then she dropped a large "jelly" egg. She's the only girl that's not using a nest box. I assume that this is just something that I have to wait out, and it will either correct itself or it won't. Any one with similar experience and care to share your resolution??

This is knotweed-- the thin one in the middle there with pink and white flowers that look like little knots on the stalk.
Japanese knotweed, which is edible at certain times in the year, looks more like a bamboo. Here is a great pic of it
http://www.wildmanstevebrill.com/JPEG'S/Plant Web Images/KnotweedInFlowerLabeled.jpg
Here is a link to the one you are growing, as well as a few others there that we don't have. http://www.plant-biology.com/Polygonum-Knotweed-Bistort.php
If you want to be rid of this type you do have to be very diligent about pulling it out roots and all. It will take some time and you want to do it asap before those flowers become seeds... lots and lots of seeds. I do not think this type is edible but I might be wrong. I'll consult a book later.
The weed in the picture with the pointy leaves and little pink and white ball "buds/seeds" grows in my garden. It doesn't seem to be a perennial, doesn't seem to spread from the roots. Don't know what it is, but it's not terribly invasive IMO. However, if it's growing where you want grass, I'd definitely remove it one way or an other. You might try over mowing the area and overseeding again with grass seed. If you keep mowing, it should over time keep it from re-seeding. However, I am not a horticulturist... and my opinion/advice is only my opinion!! Only telling you what I might do in the same situation.

So I decided tonight to put my 13 week olds in with the big girls. They've been in the run together for a month, but in a makeshift coop with my silkies who cant reach the roosts in the big coop. Well, after chasing chicks for 15 minutes and catching a couple more than once, all but one was in. This is one of the 4 roos we got from our straightrun mix. He's also the fastest. Well, I had him cornered and the little sucker tried to attack me! Which was actually pretty funny based on hissize, but made me decide that it is now time to find a new home for these roos. I live in town, my neighbors wont appreciate the noise, and our silkie roo doesnt need any competition. Anyone interested in some barnyard mix roos?

So I decided tonight to put my 13 week olds in with the big girls. They've been in the run together for a month, but in a makeshift coop with my silkies who cant reach the roosts in the big coop. Well, after chasing chicks for 15 minutes and catching a couple more than once, all but one was in. This is one of the 4 roos we got from our straightrun mix. He's also the fastest. Well, I had him cornered and the little sucker tried to attack me! Which was actually pretty funny based on hissize, but made me decide that it is now time to find a new home for these roos. I live in town, my neighbors wont appreciate the noise, and our silkie roo doesnt need any competition. Anyone interested in some barnyard mix roos?

I have this in my garden too, I just pull it out, each yr I get less and less. we do have bamboo in maine, there is a large plant in town that I walk by each day. one day I thought it was weird looking, like a pitcher plant so i really took a look and it's definately bamboo and it's huge!

That's the closest I've come, unfortunately. Really hoping that's not it. But the descriptions seemed to indicate a white flower, and some said a reddish tint in the stalks?

Here is what it looks like. I haven't dared mow anything yet, in case that will make it spread.

Lazy, I think I read somewhere that pea is dominant over straight. It seems to hold true here anyway. My rooster has a straight comb, but all the chicks from my Brahma and the Ams have all had small combs.

Congrats on the chicks Widget!

I bought my granddaughter a little pink butterfly net. Unfortunately, she doesn't get to use it much any more. I use it on a daily basis... to catch chickens, potato bugs and larvae, great to drop over yellow jackets to contain them long enough to stomp them... Japanese beetles have arrived... I go nuts when I'm out in the garden and can't readily lay my hand on it. So much so, that I bought a yard of netting to make an extra... so she can have her net back. I'll also make one for my Dad, but in light of trying to be gender neutral, I'll use yellow! (They didn't have any blue netting at Walmart!)

Back
Top Bottom