Maine

I do lurk on this thread and can see why some folks have issues with their birds.

I suggest that folks feed their birds chicken feed and not rely on kitchen food or free range food. Treats don't replace feed.

Also, check for mites, they can run a bird down quickly and kill.

Keep a closed flock if you can - bird from swaps may look healthy, but are a risk even if you quarantine them.

And keep your coop DRY! Deep litter builds up moisture and ammonia.

Don't want to offend - Just stuff I have learned

Oh my goodness, it's so cold & snowy!

Hey, has anyone had issues posting on this site. I keep getting, "a problem occurred forced to reload page" or something along those lines. Then the spinning beach ball of death. I'm on a mac using safari.

Joanie your post does come across as a bit offensive to me. Not that I have any of those issues and I do agree with you on your tips. But I like feedback when I ask for it not when some lurker spews it with cap locks added in. And then has the gall to throw in a photo from summer on the snowiest day yet!

I am so mad at myself. Last night I made sure all the food and water was topped off, so I could take my time in the morning. When I went out at noon, I found the door to the back section of my coop had been pushed shut. It is a lightweight louvre-type door, and while this has never happened before, I think if a chicken slammed into it while coming down off the roost, it could be closed by a chicken.

There were 6 chickens trapped back there without food or water all morning. I'm sure 5 of them will be fine, but one was my cross-beak. She's needs to work to eat and she's molting right now, to make matters worse. I brought her a scrambled egg, but now she is shaking her leg around like she stepped on something sharp. I know it is just a chicken, but she is one of our older/original birds and we have a soft spot for her. Hopefully, she will be fine.

I hope your cross beak will be ok.I am glad I read this,I topped everything off this morning before it started storming to bad and was not going back out till morning the wind is howling and its snowing so hard,but I guess I had better go out and check on things before dark.

I hate winter! Even more so now that I have chickens to be responsible for. On the up side, looking forward to Spring more than ever! One more week, then Spring is on the way!!! Ever so faithful Baby is still giving me one egg every other day! (without light)

lol. must be a  single farm girl around here somewhere.
sorry, I'm a married farm girl. Unfortunately I didn't use the "must love chickens" criteria when dating, so my husband is not an active part in our farming experience. BUT I did find a way to get him involved. I brought home a butt ugly aluminum ice house and announced it was my new coop. Now he can't wait until spring so he can rip off the aluminum and put on some barn plank siding. While he's at it, he might as well install some new Windows and sliding vents, right? Just wait till he sees what I'm bringing home for some future goats. Wait, did I tell him we're getting goats???

Back
Top Bottom