Maine

I have read some other threads that have gotten down right nasty about heat or no heat this winter. Why people get so ugly about it, I don't know. I just have a light bulb in the little 5 by 5 coop and it has been on all winter. They lay eggs or they don't as they feel like it and they have done really well so far. Somewhere between this cold snap and the last one, I realized they were going to be ok. Thanks to a lot of you who have good ideas and experience. We will make it through our first winter eith chickens! I just read all about growing fodder. I gotta try that next. As soon as I het a fre dsys off in a row!!'

People get heated (pun intended) about lots of chicken rearing issues. Heat, bedding, feed, space requirements, breeding practices. The list goes on and on. I just got my first negative comment on my homesteading blog, followed by a very angry email. The post was about chicken care. I guess people don't have an opinion about how I grow my vegetables or what I feed my family, or even criticize how I clean my home, but how dare I use sand in my coop, leaving my poor defenseless chicks to drown in pools of bacteria. It's a wonder I survive long enough out there to collect eggs. You'd think I'd be dead with some illness from all the diseases I've exposed my chickens to.

Sorry, that turned into a rant and I promised my husband I wouldn't dwell anymore lol.

People get heated (pun intended) about lots of chicken rearing issues. Heat, bedding, feed, space requirements, breeding practices. The list goes on and on. I just got my first negative comment on my homesteading blog, followed by a very angry email. The post was about chicken care. I guess people don't have an opinion about how I grow my vegetables or what I feed my family, or even criticize how I clean my home, but how dare I use sand in my coop, leaving my poor defenseless chicks to drown in pools of bacteria. It's a wonder I survive long enough out there to collect eggs. You'd think I'd be dead with some illness from all the diseases I've exposed my chickens to.

Sorry, that turned into a rant and I promised my husband I wouldn't dwell anymore lol.
Usually best to just take a page from the book of The Dude in situations like that.

"Yah...well...that's just like...your opinion, Man."

MEMama3, I LOVE your blog! (And that you homeschool...I admire you! We homeschooled for a few seasons, but for the sake of my sanity and the children's educations, along with the Lord's direction, we now send them off to a small private school).

People get ridiculous in regards to care of animals. I totally understand being upset at mistreatment (no food, poor lodging, filthy quarters and such), but I've seen some pretty wild though processes in regards to animals. I believe firmly in good husbandry, but if you want to use sand, go ahead! We thought about it, but, since we like to mulch our gardens with the shavings/manure, we opted for shavings. (Though my carrots would love some sand to grow a little straighter in).

And of course, we tend to feel like we can speak our minds without reserve on the internet. We can hide behind screen names and email addresses and say things that although in 'real life' we may think them, we would never say them. There is a boldness about people via the internet that isn't so common in the day to day life.

MEMama3, I LOVE your blog!  (And that you homeschool...I admire you!  We homeschooled for a few seasons, but for the sake of my sanity and the children's educations, along with the Lord's direction, we now send them off to a small private school). 

People get ridiculous in regards to care of animals.  I totally understand being upset at mistreatment (no food, poor lodging, filthy quarters and such), but I've seen some pretty wild though processes in regards to animals.  I believe firmly in good husbandry, but if you want to use sand, go ahead!  We thought about it, but, since we like to mulch our gardens with the shavings/manure, we opted for shavings.  (Though my carrots would love some sand to grow a little straighter in). 

And of course, we tend to feel like we can speak our minds without reserve on the internet.  We can hide behind screen names and email addresses and say things that although in 'real life' we may think them, we would never say them.  There is a boldness about people via the internet that isn't so common in the day to day life.
Thank you yankeehill. Your support completely negates any negative feedback. Encouragement from people like you is the most priceless thing a blogger like me can get. **huge hug**

Back
Top Bottom