Maine

Welcome. :)

Any of those breeds would do well here. As for where to get chicks there are many options depending on where you live. Your local feed store, a Chickenstock or Farm Day swap, individuals who hatch out their own and have extras or ordering directly from a hatchery.
Hi all, I am new on here and when it comes to all things chicken so excuse me if I am asking questions that have already been answered on this thread. I am hoping to get some chickens, our zoning only allows for up to 6 and I am unsure of what breed/breeds I should get. I am leaning a little towards Barred rock, Australorps, Orpingtons and Wyandottes at the moment and was wondering if any fellow Mainers could make suggestions when it comes to whats best for the climate here in Maine. Also any suggestions as to where I might find the chickens once I have decided what to go for, i'd quite like a mix of a couple of breeds so also knowing what breeds get a long would be good to know. I would like a breed that is sociable as I have two young children who will to be involved in their care.

I am unsure of what breed/breeds I should get. I am leaning a little towards Barred rock, Australorps, Orpingtons and Wyandottes at the moment and was wondering if any fellow Mainers could make suggestions when it comes to whats best for the climate here in Maine. Also any suggestions as to where I might find the chickens once I have decided what to go for, i'd quite like a mix of a couple of breeds so also knowing what breeds get a long would be good to know. I would like a breed that is sociable as I have two young children who will to be involved in their care.
Good choices! They are gentle breeds. Anything with a small comb is a good choice.

Welcome Tildamai. If you haven't, you might want to look at Henderson's chicken breeds chart. It will give you lots of information about a lot of breeds, but even that is not a complete list of your options. The breeds you have chosen are nice birds. After the severe winter we've had, I'm even more determined to head my flock in the direction of pea and rose combs due to them being less susceptible to frost bite. I'm also partial to clean legged/footed birds, and there are those who prefer feathered feet. I'm glad there are enough breeds of chicken available to suit every preference!

Does anyone know where I might be able to get some shavings or hay for my chickens? I'm in Gray do I don't want to go too far, but every place I've been is out of shavings. I've been told that it's do to the lovely long cold winter. They are using them for the pellet shortage. So right now my poor chickens have no shavings or hay. To top that my coop that was a shed is now flooding. I've moved on batch a chickens but I've got two more batches that I have to find a place for. Man I wish I had a garage. We still have a good foot to a foot and a half around the coops. But if anyone knows where I can get shavings or hay, that doesn't cost a fortune, please let me know. Thanks!

Tam - you might try the board barn in Cumberland/gray on rt 100. They sometimes carry shavings. I know Paris Farmers Union in portland has them but it is a bit more of a haul for you.

MT, beautiful garden... And you may say your house is just a booring split level, but it's yours! Ain't nothing boring about that with those beautiful flowers spilling down that bank. What color are you going with? If I were in your shoes, and had the physical stamina and could scrape the time together, I'd paint it myself, and take at least $3K of that estimate to the bank!!!

Yes I think that is what we are going to do. After people here confirming that the quote we got seems crazy - we are going to do it on our own.
I think we are going to go with a deep bown/gray and then a lighter version of the same color for the trim. And a rusty orange or bright yellow door :)

I think we will roll and brush the paint on. our house is so simple that I think it might actually be better coverage and faster than taping and spraying it all. Spraying makes such a mess too!

Also thanks all on the compliments for the garden. Lots of it was here when we bought the house but every summer I work on it and plant more and more perennials :) My mom used to run a small independent garden center with my dad so she is a huge help!

Is there anyone around here selling silkie pullets/hens? Not chicks. My poor silkie Chewbacca is the only bantam I have, and she's getting picked on. Her old companion died a few months ago, and I just think she could benefit from a new similarly-sized friend. Any color would be lovely, though I'd really love to get my hands on a splash/paint especially!

I got my first "wind egg" the other day, aka "fairy egg" or, hilariously, "fart egg". Basically, a teeny yolkless egg. I might blow it out. I never knew those were a thing!

Woo Hoo. Found my first goose egg today.
wee.gif
Guess all this rain and standing water (up to a foot deep in parts of the driveway convinced the geese that it is Spring. The ducks are still being slackers but the male is certainly in a romantic mood.

I also had the first horse back ride of the season yesterday while waiting for the farrier. It was just a few steps around the driveway (in the only dry spot) but it was nice. It will be great when the snow is gone and the trails are dry so I can really get out on the trails.

Hi all, I am new on here and when it comes to all things chicken so excuse me if I am asking questions that have already been answered on this thread. I am hoping to get some chickens, our zoning only allows for up to 6 and I am unsure of what breed/breeds I should get. I am leaning a little towards Barred rock, Australorps, Orpingtons and Wyandottes at the moment and was wondering if any fellow Mainers could make suggestions when it comes to whats best for the climate here in Maine. Also any suggestions as to where I might find the chickens once I have decided what to go for, i'd quite like a mix of a couple of breeds so also knowing what breeds get a long would be good to know. I would like a breed that is sociable as I have two young children who will to be involved in their care.

Thanks
smile.png

Welcome! I'm relatively new to Maine and chickens, too (under a year for both). I have 2 barred rocks, 2 buff orpingtons and 2 golden comets. They all pulled through the winter without any frostbite (I do put a heat lamp on when it gets under 20 degrees). I can't recommend my favorite breed out of the three, because honestly they are all hilarious and great birds in their own way. The rocks took longer to warm up to humans, but even they now come right to me. The most inquisitive/interactive is one of the buff orpingtons... she follows me around the yard like a dog. So sweet. Initially the rocks were dominant in the pecking order, but it has shifted over time and now one of the golden comets, who is the smallest by far of all 6, is at the top. My birds are from a hatchery, but I next time I get new birds I'd like to find a local supplier with good bloodlines. There are some people on here who are trying to bring specific breeds to Maine, so hopefully they'll get in touch with you. Welcome again and enjoy!

Hi TildaMai, for your consideration of a very good chicken for Maine Climate I put forth the Buckeye. They are a very good dual purpose bird. They do well being kept in a pen and run or free ranging. They are the only American breed to sport a Pea comb making the danger of frostbite all but impossible. They are very socialable. I am working on bringing them back to Maine. My avatar is one of my Roos. The hens will go up to 8 pounds and males up to 9. I have 8 hens and get 6-8 eggs 5 days a week.

Back
Top Bottom