Maine

Anyone looking for a good rooster or 2. I have a white leghorn/golden comet mix makes great egg layers. Also I have a welsummer from the Gibson line both free. I might throw in a hen or two with them.

Last edited:
Ellsworth here :)
I don't insulate my coop, but we use straw for bedding which helps in the winter time to keep things cozier for The Birds of Anarchy. Their coop is south facing so we built a "greenhouse" extension, off their main coop (from old windows) for extra solar gain and we plan to build a solar heater for them as a DIY project.

Last edited:
Wow, you work for a few days and miss out on many posts! I just skimmed the last few days to catch-up.

Love the talk of rhubarb! I've had a few plants for three years or so. Just yesterday I decided to make a rhubarb meringue pie! I love it! The pie did come out too sweet and watery, my meringue did sweat but overall I really like rhubarb and can't wait to use it some more! I didn't realize I was missing out all these years. Thanks for the lesson Longrove, I figured the rhubarb was ready but was wondering why it wasn't super red.

My wattle fence is still a work in progress. I believe I have yard work ADD. I get out in the yard planning to do one job and end up finding ten other projects that need work! I have accumulated a giant pile of alder that will go into fence. I better get to it before it dries out.

I sometimes want to give all my chickens away! Yesterday, I planted a bed of pansies and of course they all wanted to run in and tear it up. Then the little B*&^@rds decided to cross the road. Thankfully our road is not that busy, but one person did honk at them. This morning nonstop crowing! Ahhh, chickens! I really do like their eggs though, and sometimes they are so cute. I really should fence them in......

I sometimes want to give all my chickens away! Yesterday, I planted a bed of pansies and of course they all wanted to run in and tear it up. Then the little B*&^@rds decided to cross the road. Thankfully our road is not that busy, but one person did honk at them. This morning nonstop crowing! Ahhh, chickens! I really do like their eggs though, and sometimes they are so cute. I really should fence them in......

And thats how I came up with the name THE BIRDS OF ANARCHY for my flock! Seriously, they are a roving posse of lawless thugs.

(paying hommage to "Sons of Anarchy", a show about an outlaw biker gang)

Last edited:
Hey Mainers, did you know that Hannafords, saves bread and produce they can't sell, for farmers to pick up for their livestock. I regularly go in and walk out with a huge trash bag full of amazing produce. It's perfect in the winter when free ranging is minimal and there are no greens in sight. Cabbage, peppers, broccoli, cauliflower, fruit you name it- and the birds LOVE it!

Last edited:
Hey Mainers, did you know that Hannafords, saves bread and produce they can't sell, for farmers to pick up for their livestock. I regularly go in and walk out with a huge trash bag full of amazing produce. It's perfect in the winter when free ranging is minimal and there are no greens in sight. Cabbage, peppers, broccoli, cauliflower, fruit you name it- and the birds LOVE it!
Wow I did not!!! Will have to check that out! Thx

You definitely should, it's an awesome service. :) call your local stores and they will tell you how to sign up online. I don't have a link sorry. It's basically a waiver saying you will not use products for human consumption and if your animals get sick from anything Hannafords isn't liable.

I would become friendly with a couple of stores and really stock up! :) you could also freeze everything if you don't use it all up right away.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom