Maine

Here is the eggtopsy photo. It looks like there is a little development there on the left side... it had only been in 2 days, so I don't if it's realistic that I would see something at that point, or not. In other words, I want to see something, so I may be just making it out that I do! The brown on the bottom is the design of the dish.

The eggs went under her Sunday morning. Thank you for the kind offer, though, SCG! I'm starting to question the likelihood of success here, not that it was ever high...when I was just out closing up the coop, the remaining egg was only under her tail feathers and wasn't what I would call warm. Will be interesting to see.

Here is the eggtopsy photo. It looks like there is a little development there on the left side... it had only been in 2 days, so I don't if it's realistic that I would see something at that point, or not. In other words, I want to see something, so I may be just making it out that I do! The brown on the bottom is the design of the dish.

The eggs went under her Sunday morning. Thank you for the kind offer, though, SCG! I'm starting to question the likelihood of success here, not that it was ever high...when I was just out closing up the coop, the remaining egg was only under her tail feathers and wasn't what I would call warm. Will be interesting to see.

Looks to me like it started to develop

Here in the sunny south of Maine it was -7 this morning. I'm sure you all had cooler temps. Getting 2 eggs a day from the same two pullets, at least I think it is the same two. They dared come out of the run this morning after two days of staying side. They have their down coats fluffed up against the cold. When I checked them last night, they were roosting outside the coop on the collar ties under the roof of the run. They seem to prefer that to the coop.

Gracie the Cairn terrier watching the chicks on the deck.

Can we come in??

I had my first frozen egg two days ago. Yesterday I set a timer to go off every few hours so I wouldn't forget to run out and check. Had to go bring fresh water anyway. Don't you just love that "hands frozen to the bucket" feeling?

My flock refused to stay inside the coop even during the coldest temps but they won't come out when it's actually snowing; they pull the whole "the sky is falling!" bit. They did however decide to nestle down on the stacked wood right under my living room window and kept an eye on the happenings in the house. I felt so guilty with them out there peering in and having the dog and cat inside, all toasty warm by the fire. Their coop gets pretty warm though, even unheated. I converted an ice fishing shanty into their henhouse and obviously those things are built for extreme weather. The south side has windows at roost level that stretch the full width of the house so they get to spy on the neighbors and sun themselves at the same time during these cold days. They love it and the neighbors are amused by their watchful eyes.

My oldest two girls are currently the only two laying. They're 4 & 5 years old and I've gotten at least one egg each day since 1/1. Happy New Year! I do give my girls the winter off and don't provide artificial lighting so I'm very pleased that these two girls are such troopers and always have been. I was also very pleased to see my Hamburg pullet who is lowest in the flock sharing the nest with my top hen this morning. She's not as spacey as the rest of the pullets and even though she's excluded from their shenanigans, the elders have taken a liking to her which makes them even more endearing to me.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom