Maine

Lol!
I'd rather have armadillo trotting across the street than possums.  Either way, it's strange to see them so far north!  IMO!  What's this world coming to???  Now, I'd gladly trade some of our snow for a few possums and armadillos.  But it's just not fair for us to have 4 feet of snow and temps up to 20 below, AND possums trotting around the neighborhood.

Welcome Nancy! Have you been to the brown coops tab at the top bar? That will give you some excellent ideas. How many chickens are you planning on? The best advice I can give you is to build big! Make your coop big enough to hold twice as many chickens (the standard recommendation is 4 s.f./bird in the coop) as you actually plan to start out with. Also, make your run as big as you can allow (minimum of 10 s.f./bird) The more space they have, the less issues you'll have with delinquent behaviors. Especially in cold weather, when they'll choose to stay in that coop. Also, give them lots of window in the coop. The next advice: plenty of SAFE ventilation. Openings will need to be covered with 1/2" hardware cloth. Chicken wire will not keep predators out. If you can't build your own coop, you can hire a local to build it for you and still get a better coop at the end than any of the cute little pre-fab ones. They may work ok in the warmer climates, but they are so small that they don't allow the birds to have adequate ventilation while on the perches, without that ventilation giving them a draft. Also, the perches are usually too small and too close to ceiling and walls for the bird's comfort.

My choice of chickens is pea or rose combs, and non feathered feet. Check out Henderson's chicken breeds chart.

Nancy, lazy gardener has good advice.

I chose Blue Laced Red Wyandottes for their rose comb among other reasons. Their large bodies are hardy and can withstand the cold.

I have a covered run in addition to a coop. They choose to roost outside on the collar ties under the rafters, even in this cold. No frostbite but lots of ventilation. The droppings end up in the run, not in the coop, that is one benefit. They go in the coop for the nest boxes to lay in.

They are not early layers. If you would like eggs at 20-22 weeks of age, they are not the right breed. These were hatched in June and we had our first egg on Christmas Day. They continue to lay every day since. Not all Wyandottes are the same as my few, though.

They are pretty, not overly friendly, and have lots of "chicken speak" noises. That is the limit of my experience with this breed.

I have a silver laced wyandotte, and consider her to be a very nice bird. (Thanks Dow Girl!) She's on the quiet side, goes about her business, and the thing that impressed me about her last summer was the fact that she always seemed to be on a mission. She's a good winter layer. It seemed that she always had somewhere she needed to be! She'll give me some nice green egg, walnut combed, sex linked chicks this spring.

Welcome to the Maine thread Nancy!! Lazygardener has hit the most important you need to know! She's a great resource
1f44d.png
. I have a mixed flock. My most recent girls were chosen for their winter hardiness. Barred Rocks, partridge rocks, black australorps & Columbian wyandottes. My BA's & CW's are friendly. The Rocks are a little snooty but I love their colors. I also have 2 bantam Cochins, 2 Sizzles, 2 leghorns, a RedStar, 1 EE cross & 1 BR cross. The 2 cross' were hatched in the coop under 1 of the Sizzles. My coop is 8 x 12. I have 2 covered dog kennels attached to it for runs one 10 x 10 & one 12 x 6 x 4. I also have a large unsecure fenced-in area under our apple trees I call the play yard.

Don't be afraid to ask any & all questions!! We are a wealth of knowledge, support & caring
1f60a.png
And we love to talk chicken when everyone else in your house will be tired of hearing it!!

Not even 9:00 and it's already 18 degrees out!!!
wee.gif
How joyous is that! Too bad Jack and his harem can't be out to play today, but we have errands to run. So, at least they'll have an open window, and perhaps the litter will thaw enough that it can be stirred up and topped off.

It is a beautiful day! We had -20 last night, but it looks like it is going to remain above zero all next week. I moved two chickens into another flock. They have their own separate pen for now, but my plan is to mate them with my young rooster. I'm hoping they will keep laying and give me fertile eggs to set around April 1st. Their eggs are fertile now, but it's the wrong guy!

What a beautiful day! The girls got to get out of the pen. They even walked across that dreadful white stuff to get to some bare spots dug up by the plow.

My BRx rooster that was hatched in the coop 2 years ago was offered back to me. His family will be traveling a lot this summer & wouldn't have enough time for him & his girls. Now DH has said no more roosters. So when I told him, he just gave me a look.
1f62c.png
my sister lost her roo & several hens this winter. So I asked & she said she'd take him. He was dropped off today at our house. DH came home from work and saw him. He says Boy, he is a pretty bird. Why don't you keep him? I said because my husband said no more roosters
1f61c.png
then he goes back & forth with the pros & cons. I'm not sure if he was trying to convince me or himself! I'd already told my sis she could have him but told her if he doesn't work out, I'd take him. My friend said he was a good boy with his ladies and had never gone after him or his kids.

This is Flacco hatched on Super Bowl Sunday 2013. Named after the Baltimore Ravens quarterback.

@Mainechick168 He's From your eggs!

@CoopChick719 Look at him! Thanks for tagging me, it's fun to see some "babies" all grown up!

I don't think I've been on BYC in a year or so....so busy, but in a good way!

Hi Everyone,

Just curious if anyone knows of any true Ameraucana breeders that sell chicks in the Maine or New Hampshire area? I would love to have a blue roo, and a few females (wouldn't mind a few black or lavender females too). All I have been able to find online for breeders are either sold out, or only sell straight run and most require a min of 25 chicks (I already have 44 chickens and plan on hatching some in April, I don't really need 25 more on top of that!) Getting a bad case of spring fever :D I appreciate any help! Thanks!!

Back
Top Bottom