Maine

Look for a post labeled nutrition and gender selection and inducing broodiness. Or some such title. It's in the incubation section. 6 pullets/1 cockrel in the eggs selected for gender. 6 pullets/6 cockrels in the group not selected for gender.

I have some real nice looking roosters from my back yard mix if any one is interested.

I can't wait to see what the second generation from this flock looks like. I'm finding that the birds from the EE x RCBL breeding have white ear lobes. They should lay a blue egg! If anybody wants to start some late summer chicks, give me a yell. I'm itching to hatch again, but... don't really need to. I'd be offering straight run, pre-order only, depending on hatch rate. I'm in love with the heating pad brooding system. Will never use a lamp again, unless brooding more than 25 chicks at a time.

Hi, I'm located in South Thomaston, Me. about four miles from Rockland. I hatched out 15 Plymouth Partridge Rocks in April. I got nine pullets & six roosters. My wife put the roosters on facebook when they were about 7 weeks old and they were gone in a couple of hours. They went to a farm in Warren to be grown out for the freezer this fall. I was wondering if you have any pictures of your heating pad set up? I saw some that a woman had out in the state of Wyoming which looked very interesting . I made a homemade incubator last winter and had very good luck with it. Out of 21 eggs had 15 hatch,and they were shipped from Meyer Hatchery. I will post some pictures of incubator and my nine girls in the near future. The girls are 12 weeks old already it doesn't seem possible. I also have nine Barred Rocks that I got last year they layed all winter long and still going strong. That's how I got in this mess to begin with,but I love it. I've been watching this Maine thread for awhile so thought I would chime in.

Hi everyone!
I live in Lebanon, Maine. We just started our flock this year, so all of this is new to us.

I'm looking to get my children involved in s chicken-focused 4-H group (or something like that). I've gone to the state/county 4-H site, and doesn't look like there are any groups focused on chickens. We are too novice to start our own 4-H club. Does anyone have any suggestions as to where to look?

Thank you!

Welcome to this thread, Collie, Feather Duster and Silkies. Collie, hope you get settled soon. Maine is a wonderful place to call home. I'm in the Bangor area.

Feather Duster. I also started with a home made incubator and have had excellent results. I'm a DIY gal, and have made incy, tractors, coop, and green house, followed by a 10 x 12 coop. I've done a lot of it myself, but had help where needed and design input from Hubby. He put 10 week ends of labor into the big coop. Do you have a rooster? If so, I might like to buy some eggs from you in the spring.

Silkies. I don't know about getting started with 4H, but it's a wonderful option for children. I wish I'd had an active 4H experience as a child.

I wish you all safety and health, and a predator free time with your families and flocks. I'm headed off to Guatemala tomorrow on a mission trip. We'll be doing feeding programs, eye glass clinic, teaching hygiene, and working with the children, and I will be doing soil testing, assessing their gardening routines, teaching intensive gardening and composting. Any of you who are so inclined, please pray for: safety, health, team unity. Specifically, my needs: I don't do heat well. Am just getting over pneumonia. Taking a soil test kit. Hoping it passes through customs without being confiscated. And Hubby who is so not a farmer will be taking care of my flock of 43 birds and my garden, fruit trees, etc. Between that and work, he'll have a very full schedule. He's my rock.

Hi everyone!
I live in Lebanon, Maine. We just started our flock this year, so all of this is new to us.

I'm looking to get my children involved in s chicken-focused 4-H group (or something like that). I've gone to the state/county 4-H site, and doesn't look like there are any groups focused on chickens. We are too novice to start our own 4-H club. Does anyone have any suggestions as to where to look?

Thank you!
the 4-h I go to is everything, mainly goats in Sanford. but my friend goes to shades of green in York - really nice 4-h club, my friend is really good at showing and so am I. Check out either one.
Shades of green does field trips and is more welcoming, so check it out first... best of luck to you!
Gigi.

Lazy gardener I don't have a rooster. I'm kind of close to neighbors and don't want to stretch my luck. It sounds like your going to have quite the adventure. My cousin is a contractor and he goes to Guatemala every year and teaches the people how to make some kind of stoves for cooking & heat. He goes in February in his off season here. Yes it sounds like your hubby will be busy, your a lucky lady to be able to do things like this. Have a safe and productive trip.

Just checking in! Been doing a lot of free range supervising w/my 22, in light of our resident fox! Not supposed to have long guns in town but I'm more accurate with that than the pistol. DS saw the #&$@ thing twice a couple weeks ago. He says it's big! MIL says Well it IS eating chicken dinners so...
1f604.png
I haven't caught it on the game cam yet!

DD moved to her first apartment w/3 other classmates for the next school year. DS is off w/his NG unit for summer training soon and not a moment too soon. He & DH have been butting heads too much lately! They are stressing me out!

Still have my rat problem! The little so & so's have been tripping traps. I'm thinking about mounting them to a board that I can attach to the pen so they have to reach up to get the bait. Still have my neighborhood cats hunting around the coop at night. Them I have caught on camera.
1f61c.png

LG, Safe travels!! Will pray for you & your group...and for your DH
1f603.png
. He's a good man for accepting flock duty!

Welcome all newcomers!! Remember there are no dumb questions! We are a very supportive & patient group!!

Back
Top Bottom