Maine

Check for parasites first.  If the area is red this is another give away.  They may have had crusty/poo crusted feathers which irritated them and now they are bare.  Treat with Ivermectin and maybe give them a little blukote till it grows back in.

The one in the picture just has the white skin showing and the other one looks a little pink but not red or bloody. Can I dust them in DE?

I was going to suggest a feather picker also, just because I've had them before. I had mixed results with increasing protein and letting them free-range. One hen (leghorn) had to wear pinless peepers. I try not to use the peepers until I've exhausted other options, but if you ever want some I have a ton of them here! I would be happy to share. I got a little exasperated last spring with feather pickers and bought a 100 (or some outrageous number) because I got free shipping that way. :p

I'm wondering if they are bored. I picked up a huge flock block tonight and going to check for mites and lice. If it don't let up I might have to take you up on some. I see on your page you don't live that far from me, like 45 mins. Plus my husband goes to college there.

Hello. I am new here. Just wanted to introduce myself. I am Diamond DeVille. I just moved into a house in Steep Falls. The house came with a chicken coop in the fenced in front yard. So exciting.
I will be watching this thread a lot for information, especially this spring when I order baby chicks (I don't know who will have any in this area) and what to do come winter time.

:)

Welcome DiamondDVille! I was new to chickens this spring. Its been a learning curve that's for sure. Now I cannot see me ever not having chickens. I ask alot of questions on here and everyone is SO helpful! I got my chickens are Tractor Supply. They have them during chick days in April and also the Agway on my area does also.

Welcome! You are quite south of me so I won't venture a guess as to where you can get chicks. However, note that there is a minimum for the sale of chicks in this state. I can't recall if it's 6 chicks 8 weeks or less or 8 chicks 6 weeks or less. I think it's the former but you can google it to find it. You could split an order with someone local if you needed less chicks. The least I'd go with is 3, 4 would be safer.

Edited to add: and you might as well just start with 30 chicks because, let's face it, that's where you'll end up. Might as well start there.

Last edited:
I agree with SCG! I went initially to get 6 chicks. Asked my dad since he had them before and he said what do you plan on doing with 6? Lol I came out with 12 Isa browns. Now I can't wait to get more this spring to add to my flock. Chicken math is horrible. Lol

I just stopped counting. I'm probably somewhere near 75 at the moment (and that's going into winter).

I have ducks, turkeys and a recent addition of guineas ... as well as non poultry goats and bees.

I started with 30ish chicks.

Hello. I am new here. Just wanted to introduce myself. I am Diamond DeVille. I just moved into a house in Steep Falls. The house came with a chicken coop in the fenced in front yard. So exciting.
I will be watching this thread a lot for information, especially this spring when I order baby chicks (I don't know who will have any in this area) and what to do come winter time.

smile.png
Welcome! You're gonna have a blast with your flock. Suggested reading: Henderson's Chicken Breeds Chart. https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/yes-you-certainly-can-brood-chicks-outdoors. And, The Small Flock Poultry Keeper by Harvey Ussery. In the mean time, until you get your first birds, read, read, read!!!

Back
Top Bottom