Maine

Thank you so much everyone. I am still really bummed out and right now I have a very small flock we are down to four girls and they seemed confused too. It is the cycle of life though and Im glad she had a good life (free ranging in the country air). As to the chicken math I dont pay too much attention to it since mine only use the coop at night they get to free range all other time over a huge area. As long as there is enough perch space water fonts and feeding spots everyone pretty much gets along in my situation but the most I have ever had is 13!

@justinelee

I know it's always heartbreaking to lose one when you can't find a reason. Sometimes it just happens, sadly. We had that with a silkie chick this year.

I know you were interested in a buff, so I'm going to attach some pics of my young flock for you in the meantime.

Beautiful flock! Just gorgeous I am getting excited!

Diana, it depends... that's the answer. Do you have a big run? Do you let the birds out all the time first thing in the morning when they get up... or do they stay cooped up for hours or days at a time? If they're just sleeping in there or in during a blizzard, you can have more. If they're in there more often, you need less birds and more space. 

Their run right now is 8x20something. I am rebuilding my run this spring. That way it has a roof and be wrapped in plastic for winter andwill be more useful in the winter. Right now these girls do stay in when the Temps and wind are real cold.I didn't have the time and money this past spring. It will probably be a little longer and wider then now. But will have more stuff for them to do in it. That or maybe I should build a second coop and run.. I live right next to the road and also due to predators I don't dare to free range them.

Last edited:
Diana, I'd err on the side of caution when increasing your flock. Because, we all know that what we plan for and what we eventually end up with are not = numbers! 8 x 12 would hold 24 birds, while your current run would cover 16. So, what you gonna do, when you max out your flock capacity, then have a broody?

Does anyone have experience with swedish flower hens? I have a chance to aquire a trio. I am wanting to slowly move mybflock to heritage breeds and I know these arent on the list but they are an ancient breed. So... Experiences? Likes dislikes?

I don't have personal experience but I have been wanting some of my own.....if you do get them I'd pay for some fertilized eggs!! if there is a roo in the lot ;)
kim~

We set up the game cam in our chicken run for a couple of nights, and never saw more than one rat at a time in the photos. By checking out the area the rat frequented, I was able to place the snap trap in just the right place and we got him!
I assumed there must be more rats, but none appeared on the game cam last night. It does not seem possible that we had a rat bachelor living here. We're going to keep setting up the game cam for a while, just to see what we find.

So it warmed up last week, and the 6 were in heaven all the snow melted and they were tractoring/rooting/mulching all over and playing in the mud and brook,
then came the snow again,,i know there wanting to find that dang groundhog and peck a few holes in his head,

as there waideing around in it now,
I've since got the snowblower out and made them there trails, and again happy chickens,
they seem to be getting really fat and the feathers getting a nice sheen to them as they eat the black-oil-sunflower seeds, that and a lot of table scraps,
and now, its looking like its gonna get dang cold out, there saying -20's with the wind chill factor,
the G?F feels sorry for them,,
I ask her, do you want them in bed with us along with the 2 dogs 4 cats?
like wed get any sleep?

cheers
John

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom