Maine

I know that everyone will have a different opinion, but what would you all consider to be the best breed for Maine winters? I really don't want to worry about the chickens getting cold or dying. I read that with enough feed and fresh water they will self regulate their temp, but I would still need a breed that is fine with being in the coop for the really blustery days. How do they tolerate the negative weather? Any information is best.

I also read that heaters aren't recommended because it doesn't let the chickens acclimate to the cold weather and then a power outage could kill them. Also we wont have electricity running to the shed we are converting. We may run a power cord if needed but it wouldn't be a permanent thing.

Thanks everyone! :D

Personally I feel that it's more about how the coop is set up (including whether it is insulated, where and how many windows/vents, how the roosts are set up and how many birds you plan to have in it/free space) and less about what breeds you actually have.

I have leghorns with giant combs, turkens, showgirls, guineas, turkeys, hard feathered (ie no down) cornish, banties, etc along with "normal" birds like rhode island reds, rocks, easter eggers, legbars... (I also have ducks in a poorly constructed separate coop and they do incredibly well in the winter.)

They're all fine because I have a large (chicken/turkey/guinea) coop (not heated) that is well insulated but also has plenty of windows and vents. I have wide roosts. Occasionally the larger combed breeds get a minor case of frostbite on their comb, but I've never even had birds lose the tips of their combs (it's all about moisture control). I do run an extension cord so they always have water, and I also open the pop door pretty much every day (unless it's actively significantly snowing or wind chills at or below -30) and give them the choice to go out or not (I shovel a few paths in their run after each storm). Most choose to go out, even in bad/cold weather. No one has ever died during a confined day and no one has ever died of cold here (or of heat, for that matter). If we're expecting a few day storm I also go out and get a flock block so they have something to peck at and keep themselves busy.

If you're really looking for a suggestion for something that will be fine cooped up on blustery days because you have no breed/egg preference, look up breeds that do well under confinement and then remove the largest combed birds. Once you get comfortable with winter management, don't be afraid to branch out.

Last edited:
Dowgirl, Ledge Field Farm in Palermo had chicks earlier in the spring. They are on Facebook, too. Very nice people. We got our Lavender orps from them this year.

I just wanted to share these pretty roo's I picked up from @MainerChick last night. Slick Willie is the name that came with the black and white one. I don't recall if the silkie had a name so I have been calling him Fuzzy Wuzzy.

I'm so glad they've found a good home!

We had a delay in processing plans so if anyone wants the other black n white he's still available.

Posted in my thread under coop construction but thought i would ask here as well.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1064942/building-our-first-coop-in-the-spring#post_16911750

With my coop under construction before I get my siding on, I know in the winter I don't want drafts down low but in the summer is it OK to have vents down low that can be closed up in the winter?

Also is it OK to use cedar post for the outside pen up rights, I do not want to use pressure treated lumber.

All five pullets would go for $30 (for all five). Plus, if you would like a male included, your pick of breeds included for free.

I know that everyone will have a different opinion, but what would you all consider to be the best breed for Maine winters? I really don't want to worry about the chickens getting cold or dying. I read that with enough feed and fresh water they will self regulate their temp, but I would still need a breed that is fine with being in the coop for the really blustery days. How do they tolerate the negative weather? Any information is best.

I also read that heaters aren't recommended because it doesn't let the chickens acclimate to the cold weather and then a power outage could kill them. Also we wont have electricity running to the shed we are converting. We may run a power cord if needed but it wouldn't be a permanent thing.

Thanks everyone!
big_smile.png
IMO, breeds with small combs that stick close to the head (rose, pea) are preferred over birds with large straight combs. I also prefer birds with out feathered shanks/feet. I recommend that you wire your coop for electric so you can keep heated water during the winter months. This allows you to ride out a storm without making multiple trips to the coop every few hours to carry fresh water to them. As far as ventilation: have the coop tall enough so that the upper ventilation does not blow in on them as they sit on the roost. Multi level ventilation helps remove any ammonia. Good to have some vent close to the bedding, as well as the ceiling venting. A well placed window or two will also help. You can always block off some venting as needed, but good to have it installed with the coop build. All venting and windows should be protected with 1/2" hardware cloth to prevent predator entrance. As for breeds, check out Henderson's chicken breeds chart. My favorite breeds that meet my criteria: Dominique, EE, and Wyandotte. Do you plan to keep a rooster and hatch your own eggs? That will enter into your decision, especially when you consider the options to create your own special brand of birds, and breed your own sex linked birds! Half of my home bred flock are small combed, black sex-links, most of which lay blue or green eggs.

Back
Top Bottom