Maine

BQ? What's BQ? I don't think $15 is a bad price for a pullet just coming into her prime. Generally, I sell the pullets at what ever price I set, and toss in the roo. I've found that folks just don't want a roo, no matter how wonderful he is.

I'll be set up to hatch: Buck Eyes, Black sex links with walnut and pea combs, Red sex links with walnut combs, and EE this spring. If any one is interested, let me know. The number of eggs I set will be based on the interest.
Breeder quality, ie not quite show quality but far above hatchery and pet quality

i see SQ/BQ/PQ/HQ a lot when talking about conformation on call ducks

Help! went to get eggs just now and had one pecked out and yolk eaten. Should I start looking for an egg eater to cull? could it just be a one time thing? My Ameraucana pullets just started laying so could it be one of them? Never had a problem with the others before. Thinking it may be they are missing something since it's mid winter. I did feed them some crushed up washed eggshells but I've done that a lot. TYIA

I wouldn't worry about the eaten egg.......yet. I've had many one time events (spaced far apart). Usually, it is because someone laid a thin-shelled egg that cracked, or I've also had another hen get in the box and put their toe through it, etc. Just keep an eye on things and make sure you have oyster shell around.

My flock gets crushed up egg shells, as well as oyster shell, and they don't eat eggs. I wouldn't worry about it unless you're finding a pattern. Some of my fat girls crush eggs, or like bucka said, a thin shell will crack, and they'll devour it.

I threw an egg out that was cracked this morning, and crows are eating it! It was too icy for my flock to climb up the hill to get it, so the crows took it.

Good grief. Put 7 eggs in incubator and almost fills the turning rack completely last year's eggs were much smaller. Guess I need to find another incubator if I want a decent hatching rate.
Any one know if cheaper to build one? Thinking about that where I can build exactly what I want.

Hi everyone! I have missed this place! The last two years have been extremely challenging. We have moved to a homestead on 25 acres near Kingfield and we are finally ready to start over with our flock. Due to pregnancy and complications I had to rehome my previous birds which made me extremely sad as I loved them and put so much work into them. Does anyone within an hour of Farmington have Pure Ams or BCM chicks for sale? I will also be looking for a variety - wellsummers, dorkings, brown leghorns etc.

Good grief. Put 7 eggs in incubator and almost fills the turning rack completely last year's eggs were much smaller. Guess I need to find another incubator if I want a decent hatching rate.
Any one know if cheaper to build one? Thinking about that where I can build exactly what I want.

I would definitely build one, rather than buying one. You can even add a semi automatic, hand controlled egg turner. (I've not yet done that, but keep mulling different options in my head.) It's much cheaper to build your own, especially if you are a scrounger. I suggest a digital thermostat, a computer fan with 12V telephone charger so you can plug it in, heat source: 2 x 40W bulbs. You can even get a free styrofoam cooler from a pharmacy or pet shop. check Rush Lane Poultry. He has lots of how to you tube tutorials about how to put it together.

Hi everyone! I have missed this place! The last two years have been extremely challenging. We have moved to a homestead on 25 acres near Kingfield and we are finally ready to start over with our flock. Due to pregnancy and complications I had to rehome my previous birds which made me extremely sad as I loved them and put so much work into them. Does anyone within an hour of Farmington have Pure Ams or BCM chicks for sale? I will also be looking for a variety - wellsummers, dorkings, brown leghorns etc.

Sorry you had the pregnancy complications, and had to get rid of your flock. I'm hoping all is well with you now. I am S of Bangor, and have a few pullets that I would be willing to sell. PBR, plus a few others. Will need to get out and do some flock assessment before I can have a final # of ladies to remove.

I'd not worry about a single eaten egg either. However, there is this: If the egg had a hole in it, and it looked like the egg was slurped out of the hole, IMO that's not chicken MO. that's more like rat MO. Chickens tend to eat the entire egg, and the most you'll find is a few egg shards, and a wet spot where the egg used to be. They are typically opportunistic, eating an egg that was cracked by nest box rough housing, or a weak egg. Also, egg eating tends to be a seasonal issue, often at end or very beginning of laying cycles.

Any readers use Poulin feeds? And what is your satisfaction level? I currently use Blue Seal (Kent) but doing a bit of comparison shopping. Down side is that Blue Seal is handy to me, Poulin... not so much.

Sorry you had the pregnancy complications, and had to get rid of your flock. I'm hoping all is well with you now. I am S of Bangor, and have a few pullets that I would be willing to sell. PBR, plus a few others. Will need to get out and do some flock assessment before I can have a final # of ladies to remove.

Thanks :) All is well now and I have a beautiful 18 month old who will be thrilled to have chickens I'm sure. I would certainly be interested in some pullets but later on in spring once we get the shed fully converted into a coop. Please do keep me posted!

Back
Top Bottom