Maine

Just candled the 8 eggs I am incubating. One dud but it was out of my Ameraucana pullets so no surprise there. Others are dark at 13 days.
Brown and blue and green are so hard to candle. Plus everyone's saying I need 60% humidity for first 2 weeks. Mine has been at 19 to 25 have humidifier outside to raise humidity for last week.
Guess I will see in a week just fun to show wife's sisters stepson. 6 years old and so curious.

I don't know who's telling you to use 60% humidity. I use 30 - 40% and have excellent hatches. I raise humidity to 65% during lock down. Humidity is used as a tool in the first 18 days to ensure that the air cells are the correct size. Too much humidity = air cells too small which may result in chicks drowning when they pip into the air cell. Check "hatching eggs 101" in the learning center for more info. Good luck with your hatch!

I have kept the humidity at 25% for most part. I 've added a humidifier beside the incubator tonight and humidity is sitting at 44% now.
The air sacks are good on all the eggs just waiting for Wednesday night lock down. Hoping to be able to raise humidity for last week.

Well wife wanted ducks. So i got 2 khaki Campbell ducklings. Hoped that they would be female or at least one of each. Nope we have 2 males which I am going to have to separate soon. Drat it was hoping for duck eggs. L

How is it I have never checked out the Maine thread? Sheesh. Just checking in so I can get this thread in my alerts!

...and now I have to go tuck the girls in and tell them AGAIN: "Sorry, winter's not actually over yet. We've got another month of crap weather." It's their first winter. I think they think the weather's playing dirty tricks on them. Gotta love Maine! :)

But, haven't the last couple of days been a dream!!! Lovin it. Just in time for more crap. I've got dahlia, sage, parsley, basil, egg plant, and thyme planted. Some basil up already.

Welcome to the Maine thread, HF! Maine... the way life should be.

But, haven't the last couple of days been a dream!!! Lovin it. Just in time for more crap. I've got dahlia, sage, parsley, basil, egg plant, and thyme planted. Some basil up already.

Welcome to the Maine thread, HF! Maine... the way life should be.

Thank you, Lazy Gardener!

You've planted already? As in seed starting I assume? Or do you have cold frames or tunnels you're working with? Our beds are still under two feet of snow :) My wife does the crop planning (I'm more the infrastructure and soil person). I know we're starting onions next week, but I'm not sure what other seeds are on-deck.

You can say that again about the weather! Our poor chickens are so confused! It's their first winter. Each time it warms up the get so excited like they think it's spring. But then it gets cold again (like it's going to tonight) and they get a little dejected. I feel bad for them...

BTW if you have ANY eggplant tips, I'd love to here them! We've consistently failed our past two (coincidentally our first two) seasons. I know we had nutrient issues last season, so I'll test and amend for that this year. We've been reading Nancy Bubel and Ed Smith recently and it sounds like containers might be a good answer? We're in USDA Z4B, incidentally.

But no worries if you've got other demands for your attention. Everything is a learning experience for us!

I do hope you will join us on the gardening threads. Gardening is my true passion. chickens are simply a means to that end, though I do enjoy them also, and am absolutely addicted to hatching. Yes, I've started some 6 packs in the house. Within the next few weeks, I'll be busy with a lot more. I have some shop lights and shelves in my basement. As for egg plant, this is only the second time I've grown it. I don't even like egg plant. But... that's one of the items on my bucket list: "Learn how to like, or perhaps even just appreciate egg plant." What better way to appreciate something than to grow it yourself? At least then, it will be fresh, and tender!

I don't know Nancy or Ed. Time for a google search. I'm a long time proponent of deep permanent mulch gardening. Started with Ruth Stout about 35 years ago, and recently discovered Paul Gautschi: https://www.backtoedenfilm.com/

Am in process of converting my veggie garden to BTE, have planted a BTE orchard, and am working on a hugelkulture mound.

Back
Top Bottom