Maine

Opal, the first broody is a Colombian Wyandotte. She's doing well. Yesterday, when I let her out for her afternoon walk about, she thought she might want to chase me! I convinced her that was not in her best interest. But, I have a feeling that she won't let anyone mess with her babies.

Second broody, who is in process of being broken is a PBR. She escaped confinement today, so spent several hours on the nest. But, I've tightened security, and won't be letting that happen again!!

I got peeps! Today, CW did not come off the nest for her afternoon walk-a-bout. This evening, when I was tucking everyone in for the night, I heard peeps! I found a peep sized hole in the broody area, so scrounged around to get that filled. The left over piece of Closet Maid shelving covered that spot perfectly. I thought the peeps would be late b/c CW was off the nest for a couple of hours on days #1 and 2. But, today is day 20! When candling, I was convinced that the embryos were delayed.

I continue to marvel at the intricacy and perfection of the creation we have been blessed with.

All of the corn that I pre-sprouted has been planted. Several more hills to prep to tuck more squash in, then it's time to consider planting second crops. First crop of lettuce is finished, second crop is at it's peak. Beans are climbing, cukes are setting real leaves, Tomatoes and peppers blooming, as are potatoes and peas. Radishes are sweet and tender, we're enjoying salads almost every night. Oh how I love this time of year.

I got peeps! Today, CW did not come off the nest for her afternoon walk-a-bout. This evening, when I was tucking everyone in for the night, I heard peeps! I found a peep sized hole in the broody area, so scrounged around to get that filled. The left over piece of Closet Maid shelving covered that spot perfectly. I thought the peeps would be late b/c CW was off the nest for a couple of hours on days #1 and 2. But, today is day 20! When candling, I was convinced that the embryos were delayed.

I continue to marvel at the intricacy and perfection of the creation we have been blessed with.

All of the corn that I pre-sprouted has been planted. Several more hills to prep to tuck more squash in, then it's time to consider planting second crops. First crop of lettuce is finished, second crop is at it's peak. Beans are climbing, cukes are setting real leaves, Tomatoes and peppers blooming, as are potatoes and peas. Radishes are sweet and tender, we're enjoying salads almost every night. Oh how I love this time of year.

OH that is awesome lazy gardener! Congrats!!!
And nice about the corn too, I want to grow that next year. :) Sounds like you have a great veg garden going! :) I got my pumpkins planted, watermelon (probably too late), and cukes. My blueberry high bushes, one of them has blueberries on it already, still green tho' of course. We've been working on the beds and I hope to plant more when I get back from my trip. :)

Opal, the first broody is a Colombian Wyandotte. She's doing well. Yesterday, when I let her out for her afternoon walk about, she thought she might want to chase me! I convinced her that was not in her best interest. But, I have a feeling that she won't let anyone mess with her babies.

Second broody, who is in process of being broken is a PBR. She escaped confinement today, so spent several hours on the nest. But, I've tightened security, and won't be letting that happen again!!

LOL LOL! Sounds like a good broody mama!
Which breeds do you have the most success with?

I had a broody Dominique several years ago. The birds who have been broody this year include my 2 Colombian Wyandottes. (I broke the first one, but let the second one set. The first one continued to try to go broody. I sold her.) I now have a Plymouth Barred Rock who is persistent, but I'm more persistent than her, and plan to break her.

Set 12 eggs. She ate one dead egg, hatched 10 chicks, there is an other egg which quit. Of the hatch, I think there is 1 Buck Eye, 5 EE, and it appears that there are 4 sex links, one of which is a male. All chicks have yellow legs.

Set eggs under a broody BA tonight. My Colombian Wyandotte is doing great with her clutch of 10 chicks. She's an excellent Mama. Hoping to get some more Buck Eyes in this next set. Odds would be greater in my favor if I did not set blue eggs. But those blue eggs are so pretty, and those little chipmunk striped chicks with the puffy cheeks are so cute. So, Ba has 9 brown eggs and 5 blue.

I had to plant carrots twice this year. Even though I watered, the first batch failed due to drought. My squash looks good, but it is in a hoop house with black plastic and drip irrigation. It has holes in it from the cucumber beetles, but I go on a daily beetle crushing mission.

The big excitement here yesterday was a fox. One of my flocks is really noisy and I was ignoring their noise at lunchtime yesterday. Then I looked out the window and saw the fox running along the fence (which he could jump easily, but hadn't yet). I ran out and chased him off. DH tried to take a shot at him, but he never uses a gun, so by the time he got the safety off the fox was gone.

No one was harmed. I'm leaving them locked up for a couple days. It would be nice if the fox ate a few rodents around here.

I had to plant carrots twice this year. Even though I watered, the first batch failed due to drought. My squash looks good, but it is in a hoop house with black plastic and drip irrigation. It has holes in it from the cucumber beetles, but I go on a daily beetle crushing mission.

The big excitement here yesterday was a fox. One of my flocks is really noisy and I was ignoring their noise at lunchtime yesterday. Then I looked out the window and saw the fox running along the fence (which he could jump easily, but hadn't yet). I ran out and chased him off. DH tried to take a shot at him, but he never uses a gun, so by the time he got the safety off the fox was gone.

No one was harmed. I'm leaving them locked up for a couple days. It would be nice if the fox ate a few rodents around here.
I hate those beetles. And Japanese beetles. We use lots of methods, try putting all the beetles you find in water with dawn in it, kills them instintly.
For peppers we use PVC pipes and bend them into hoops and lay black fabric down with holes in it. The holes you put the peppers in, and then we put white fabric over the PVC. It's fabric from old curtains, but any see-through white fabric works.

Oof, foxes. I can hear them screeching in the woods often.
Do you have a problem with tons of yotes? I had one in the field, less then 20 feet from me. And they howl so loud, they are really close.

Keep that gun handy, loaded, and ready to fire. I really need to get the .22 ready to shoot. Shot gun is fine for some stuff, but if a pred were actually able to breach the run or coop, SG would not be the best choice!

BA is setting on her eggs like a champ. Still waiting for her to come off the nest for a walk-a-bout. But, this morning, I noticed a few crumbs of feed at the bottom of her water bowl, and the level is down a bit. So, she did get up at some point for a sip and snack.

Back
Top Bottom