Maine

I know the rats are around, but they're not getting in (due to excessive hardware cloth lining under the dirt floor of the coop). Three times now, we've had a lone rat get trapped inside during the fall, when the doors are left wide open all day, but it appears all of them are living outside now. We also had a breach, but patching seems to be working.

We poisoned the mice wreaking havoc in our pantry, but one died in the wall. :sick

It looks like we finished our winterizing chores in the nick of time. I'm looking forward to Friday's snow. Mainly to provide a cover over the current ankle-breaking crust! I feel bad for the chickens that are still molting.
Fairfield, Just down the road a piece from me. I live in New Portland. I've not had any trouble with pest. Knock Knock on wood. I have a big flock of wild turkeys in my yard most days. And the deer had a nice romp on my lawn after the first snow. They also decided this fall to munch on my apple tree. I put Irish Spring soap in a baggie and that stopped them. Have a lame coyote but I have seen her in awhile. She looked pretty bad. She really wanted one of those turkeys but can't run. Right hind leg just kinda dangling. She might have succumbed to the cold because she looked to be starving. Wonder hoe hard we'll get hit tonight?

We also had deer munching on apple trees this year. Strangely, the deer do not usually bother the garden.
Our snowy lawn showed what appear to be fox tracks this year. It looks like he was digging around for mice. I wish this snow was not expected to turn to rain here. I'm hoping to go out and ski our loop this morning before the changeover.

We also had deer munching on apple trees this year. Strangely, the deer do not usually bother the garden.
Our snowy lawn showed what appear to be fox tracks this year. It looks like he was digging around for mice. I wish this snow was not expected to turn to rain here. I'm hoping to go out and ski our loop this morning before the changeover.
Have a fun time. I'm not really a winter person. Well saw blood this morning. One big spot, about 1 1/2 inch in diameter. Thought one of my SLW was bleeding from her vent. Maybe an egg too big?? But upon closer inspection a torn off toenail. And boy are those SLW's nails long and sharp. I bet she was hogging the ladder and one of my other birds pushed her off her perch thus tearing off the nail. I don't think I can bandage it. She'd just tear it off and might eat the bandaging material. I'll just have to watch her closely.

This chicken keeping regimen is a good work out. Had to shovel around the coop to let them out this morning. Then clean off the roof. Put out food. 22%protein pellets, small amount of scratch, oyster shell, and mealworms. The SLW's are eating now. They don't need to be on alert so much now. Also, drinking good. I have a big metal waterer with the heater base plugged in outside for now. Now sure I want to put in run. Kinda small in there. I have a small jar in the coop snugged right in the corner so they don't tip it over. The SLW's are a little more pushy and will get a drink up there. They actually mingled with my other 2 this morning at breakfast. NO eggs from the Buff or NHR. One 55 gram egg for one of the SLW's. It's a start. Hopefully, the SLW's will take over when my Buff and NHR stop laying for the winter.

Be careful out skiing. Make sure you take your cell phone. My friend in Portland was worried about me moving up here. Thought I might get hurt and not be able to get help. So last year she fell on a muddy trail in the spring. She was right in Portland. But she didn't have her cell phone on her. She yelled and yelled thankfully a guy was working on athletic fields and heard her. Laid up with a rod in her leg for months. I told her she was right in Portland and still stranded.

Skiing was great in the morning, before it got too wet. I might be the last holdout in central Maine without a cell phone. Almost broke down and got one this year, but I really don't need another distraction.

Skiing was great in the morning, before it got too wet. I might be the last holdout in central Maine without a cell phone. Almost broke down and got one this year, but I really don't need another distraction.
My SIL in Farmington doesn't have one. They can be annoying. Because the telemarketer have gotten cell numbers. But I love mine for the apps. I have several and I saved $44 the other day at Hannaford's. I saved up $250 with one a app for Christmas gift cards for my 2 boys and a wife. No they are not sharing the wife. LOL. One other app I have over $35 and need to transfer to Pay Pal. I'm 67 so I'm still kinda catching up. I love the note pad app. I put a lot notes in their. I measured for curtains put that in there. Keep addresses there, list of my meds, ex husband's SS number, etc. Have a calendar in there. calculator. measurement table cm to feet etc. They can be quite handy.

Ok I was coming to ask the same question as above... Haha ... Or any fun crosses? Egg production finally looking up here.

How's everyone doing so far?
I have a BO and an ISAB. around 18-20 months old I think. I got them in August. This is their second winter laying. They have laid almost every day since I got them. It's on this schedule. Day 1 2 eggs Day 2 2 eggs. Day 3 1 egg Day 4 2 eggs. And then maybe day 5 no eggs. Might go for several weeks until a no eggs day. I got 2 SLW from a woman in Farmington. Seems she buys chicks in the spring summer and raises them to sell in the fall/winter. I got at 16 week around T-day. They started laying very small cream colored eggs. About 40 grams to start right after Christmas. Only 1 a day for awhile. Now the are laying everyday.And they are about 50 grams now. My other 2 have always laid high 60 gram eggs. I feed 20% protein, scratch, and mealworms. my birds don't eat table scraps, mushy food, seeds, yogurt, etc. They do love liver, gizzards, and hearts. I buy them at Walmart. Cheap just boil them for about 20-30 cut them up pea size and feed them to the chickens. The 4 birds devour them in less that 3 minutes. Feed that about 3-4 times a month. I have a TSC prefab hen house.. I didn't insulate the coop. It was -14F yesterday morning. I have good ventilation. The run is surrounded by clear tarp with painted on white grid and I have the snow banked up about 2 feet high. Doing good so far hardly any lapses in production. Since Nov probably 3-4 days with no eggs. Funny winter it started to early for me. Supposed to get nailed I hear on Sunday. Good luck every one. More snow more banking.

Zero eggs here for the past week. I suppose it is just as well, because I just wormed them.
My hens are getting older. As much as I miss hatching, I am restraining myself. I hope to retire in 4 years and maybe do some traveling. I could see taking a break from animals (and not searching for caretakers) for a bit. We'll see what happens.

Back
Top Bottom