Maine

I've only incubated in late winter/early spring, when we are still using wood heat and the house is very dry. It might depend on your incubator too. I have a Brinsea Octagon. I use very low humidity (20 - 30 %). Then at lock-down I bump it up to 70%. The only way I can keep the humidity that high in our dry house is to line the bottom of the incubator with a washcloth or thick paper towels to increase the surface area of the moisture. Then every morning I use a thin straw (put through the ventilation hole) and syringe to add a bunch of sterile warm water to the washcloth and bring the humidity back up.
That has worked well for me, but I think you will get a wide variety of opinions on this!

I'll just ask this here since I don't see a need for a very in-depth answer:
I've got a chick hatching that already has the start of a comb. It's coming from a brown leghorn egg but is definitely a cross(no brown leghorn roos and no other white egg laying breeds). Could it be a hen, or would it most likely be a roo?

EDIT: well, it's no longer important... I'm left with only 1 chick of 12 eggs. I don't know what went so wrong this time.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about your hatch. I once hatched just one chick out of twenty eggs. I had a bad rooster and it turned out the other eggs just weren't fertile. I did another hatch with shipped eggs so she would have company.
I still have that solo hen. She has a beautiful gray-olive egg and is 8 years old now, so I don't expect to have her a lot longer.

Sorry to hear about your hatch. I once hatched just one chick out of twenty eggs. I had a bad rooster and it turned out the other eggs just weren't fertile. I did another hatch with shipped eggs so she would have company.
I still have that solo hen. She has a beautiful gray-olive egg and is 8 years old now, so I don't expect to have her a lot longer.
Planning on picking up a few more at tsc this weekend.

Wow according to BYC the last time I was on was almost a year ago!! Think I’ll slowly work my way backwards. A Lot has happened in the last year! My son got married and we love her! My daughter graduated from college, has a FT job & her own apartment. I got laid off but found a new job w/the State. And I lost 13 chickens to a weasel. I had 2 survivors in the coop and thankfully a mama & 6 babies in a separate coop. So I’m down to 1 rooster & 7 hens. Hoping for a broody this spring My new roo is a sweet Rhodebar named Buddy after Buddy the Elf because he was so goofy & leggy as he grew up.

Welcome back Coopchick719! It sounds like you've had a busy year. I have not been on here that much either. I'm not adding any more chickens. I have 34 aging chickens and hope to take a break from chicken keeping when I retire in 4 years. We'll see who's left by then.
@Madie'sOddFlock , Somerset auction is right around the corner from me, but I have never attended.

2661D736-5FEF-4E71-A8B3-EE824C5A45FD.jpeg

This is my EE, Pip, with some of her 8 chicks.

Hello all!
Would anyone near Edgecomb maine want to adopt a barred rock/Dominique rooster from the Midcoast Humane animal shelter? There is one there. His name is Harry and he is one year old. I would like to because I have chickens and a coop and all that I could probably even show him this fall but I have to work on convincing my parents that we need another rooster as I already have two. I thought I'd mention it hear just encase anyone's interested. Here is the link:
https://midcoasthumane.org/animal/ba6e1547-e665-e911-b49e-00155dff1f99/
I just feel bad that he's there and don't want him to end up in the wrong hands or euthanized.

Back
Top Bottom