Maine

Hello from Windham Maine. Looking to swap my almost one year old male pekin for the same aged female pekin duck. I have two males and they are trying to mate all the time and a little aggressive towards each other. Please help.

Hi Everyone,

I currently have my first broody hen, but we lost our rooster to a coyote about 6 weeks ago. She has been sitting on infertile eggs for about a week and I would really like to get her some fertile eggs! I would really like Ameraucana hatching eggs or lavender Orpington hatching eggs. I’m will obviously pay for the eggs and shipping. I’m looking to get eggs ASAP! Let me know what you have.
I live in Southern Maine, right on the border of Maine and New Hampshire.

Thanks

Yes you should insulate your coop. Maine has very cold winters. When you get chickens in Maine you wanna make sure you have birds that can withstand the cold.
I live in West Central Maine not far from Sugarloaf. I have a pre-fab tractor supply coop. I did NOT insulate it. I had no heat in it or extra lighting. I did wrap the run with a clear tarp. I have a BO, ISABROWN, and 2 Silver Laced Wyandotte. The SLW I got around T-day at 16 weeks. They started laying at Christmas time. All 4 Birds laid most every day all winter long and are still laying daily. About 1-2 days in 14 I might only get 3 eggs on those days. I changed out their water about every 2-3 hours. My BO and ISABROWN were on their second winter laying. I won't say either way whether to insulate or not. Keep your birds dry with good ventilation. A nice layer of bedding and see how that works for you. Chickens run a temperature of about 106 F. They roost and cover their feet with a down coat. And many of them tuck their heads under a wing. Check and see how warm it is under a wing and under a bird. You might be surprised.

Greetings from unorganized territory a bit north of Houlton Maine. This is my first flo k on our offgrid homestead. I have 28 chickens, Rhode islands, barred rock, Jersey giants,cornish, amber link, americaunas, . The neighbors do not insulate their coops besides straw and dead leaves. We got 150" of snow this past winter. Theirs seemed to do fine, but I may put up rock wool for mine not sure yet, they are currently about 12 weeks and freeranging well. I also have keets, poults, and ducks. Good to meet everyone

Hi Everyone,

I currently have my first broody hen, but we lost our rooster to a coyote about 6 weeks ago. She has been sitting on infertile eggs for about a week and I would really like to get her some fertile eggs! I would really like Ameraucana hatching eggs or lavender Orpington hatching eggs. I’m will obviously pay for the eggs and shipping. I’m looking to get eggs ASAP! Let me know what you have.
I live in Southern Maine, right on the border of Maine and New Hampshire.

Thanks

Bell have you found a rooster? Mine are about 10 weeks old, we may have a few too many roos.

Just wanted to get the word out that both Augusta and Palmyra TSCs are having swaps from 9-2 this Saturday(7/27/19)
Everyone is welcome to take a look around(and maybe buy if you see something that catches your eye). If you're interested find the person running the swap and ask how you can be a part of it in the future, or ask for more information.
Sales change every time we're there, so "I should've bought it, when I saw it at... TSC swap". There's usually an abundance of farm animals(geese, ducks, guinea fowl, chickens, rabbits, occasionally sheep, goats, and cows), some vendors sell products from their farm(hatching eggs, fruit/berries, soap, cheese, etc.), and occasionally there's farming supplies. Come check it out if you get the chance.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom