Make your own - No waste - 5 gallon (25# feed) bucket feeder for about $3

Pics
How is everyone cutting their buckets? I don't have a hole saw big enough and imagine that a razor knife would end in disaster.

I think I just figured it out. They have cutting bits that fit into dremels. Just trace the circle with a sharpie and cut using dremel? I guess I'll see!

I've considered using a 5 gal bucket for years but was concerned about rain. My original idea was to bolt on a larger water bowl to the bottom of a 5gal bucket,and cutting slots around the bottom of the bucket. But then I would need a larger flat piece to put on the top of the bucket to keep rain off the exposed feed from below. I've read this thread and wonder if this idea would work? Has anyone tried installing the 3" street elbow in the very center of the bottom of the bucket? Of course the bucket height would need to be raised but in no way would rain,even if it's blowing could get at the feed if the elbow was in the very center of the bucket.If 3/4" inch is still raised above the bucket floor,if your worried about the elbow coming out,you could drill some holes around the elbow above where it comes above the bucket bottom,and stick a few long nails thru the holes before using sealer or cement.

Last edited:
I think I just figured it out. They have cutting bits that fit into dremels. Just trace the circle with a sharpie and cut using dremel? I guess I'll see!

That works too. I can't control my Dremel well enough to make a nice circle but it doesn't have to be perfect.

I've considered using a 5 gal bucket for years but was concerned about rain. My original idea was to bolt on a larger water bowl to the bottom of a 5gal bucket,and cutting slots around the bottom of the bucket. But then I would need a larger flat piece to put on the top of the bucket to keep rain off the exposed feed from below. I've read this thread and wonder if this idea would work? Has anyone tried installing the 3" street elbow in the very center of the bottom of the bucket? Of course the bucket height would need to be raised but in no way would rain,even if it's blowing could get at the feed if the elbow was in the very center of the bucket.If 3/4" inch is still raised above the bucket floor,if your worried about the elbow coming out,you could drill some holes around the elbow above where it comes above the bucket bottom,and stick a few long nails thru the holes before using sealer or cement.

I would imagine installing the elbow on the bottom would mean feed would just come pouring out of it, but maybe I'm not picturing it right? I've seen people make this feeder style with an extra extension (hood?) on the top of the elbow to keep rain out when used in an uncovered run.

That works too. I can't control my Dremel well enough to make a nice circle but it doesn't have to be perfect.

I would imagine installing the elbow on the bottom would mean feed would just come pouring out of it, but maybe I'm not picturing it right? I've seen people make this feeder style with an extra extension (hood?) on the top of the elbow to keep rain out when used in an uncovered run.

Just go back to the VERY FIRST POST in this thread. It's extremely simple. To make the hole use a hole saw. You can purchase a hole saw kit at Harbor Freight for about $6 that will have the 3-1/2" hole saw. Put it on the end of a drill and you have a perfect cut.

http://www.harborfreight.com/10-piece-carbon-steel-hole-saw-set-68114.html

Here are pics of how to cut the pvc elbow......... but don't put it on the bucket that way. Point the cut end down.

See............... This is INSIDE of the bucket....................

Below is the EXTENSION (3" pvc pipe) I installed to force them to put their heads in farther and not flip the food out on the floor. This would also keep the rain out better........

See the food inside the hole below......................

Back
Top Bottom