Make your own - No waste - 5 gallon (25# feed) bucket feeder for about $3

I think this design is only good if you have a few chickens (around 10). Is there any good design for a larger flock (around 100)?

I think this design is only good if you have a few chickens (around 10). Is there any good design for a larger flock (around 100)?

I have over 100 birds, so I have several feed stations of the PVC pipe type. Like-ish in this video ...

I solved my "flow" problems differently than he did because I had the opposite problem. I found that crumbles got stuck in the hopper and didn't move down into the feeder section. I solved this a variety of ways. First, I used a "slower" angle to connect the pieces. Second, I now use pellet feed & whole grains so the feed flows better. Third, I hung the feeders at a downward angle so it flows better.

NOTE ... if you put the holes ON TOP of the curve of the pipe, then the feed doesn't spill from the feeder ... this seems so obvious to me that I have to post the link to the video for a giggle.

I am thinking of a way to attach a larger hopper to our feeders, though with several feeders and access to outdoor forage I don't find filling them to be too much of a chore.

Here is a dumb, unrelated video that shows some of our feeders ...

Second NOTE: I'd avoid the "single hole" PVC pipe feeders with the "Y" fitting at the bottom for feed access ... I've read reports of younger birds getting stuck upside down in those feeders, which didn't end well for the chickens.

I was just talking to someone the other day about making a no waste feeder for their homestead and the 50 or so residents they have. I was thinking that it might be possible to make a large box out of some T1-11, say, 8 feet long 2 feet deep and 2 feet tall, with street elbows every 6 inches around the box. Hinged lid, lined with plastic or metal and pitched at the bottom, so that the feed falls towards the elbows.

Or, maybe picking up a few 55 gallon drums, and going about it the same way as a bucket feeder, but with a lot more capacity and elbows.

Thoughts?

Fabulous idea and thanks tons for posting it! I have a PVC pipe feeder, but I'm definitely going to give this a try.

For those who have questions about the types of buckets to use... I'm sure the majority of buckets shouldn't be an issue, but if you happen to have a burger place, bakery, etc, in your town, you could get food-grade buckets for free. I get plenty of buckets at the local Ron's Hamburgers and use them for container gardening, mixing fermented feed, etc, etc, etc.

Mmmmmm... hamburger....

If it's a problem of them perching and pooping on the top, you could always "fake" hanging it by having a rope or chain attached to the handle and then to a rafter. You could also use the plastic or metal cones used over top of traditional hanging feeders in conjunction with that to really keep them off.
So, i'm sold on this and went out to get the elbows - no luck on finding the type You used with the flange on the end that stays inside the bucket. Where did you get yours ?
Will continue to look locally (Abq.). Thanks .

Quote:
You can get street elbows with a flanged end at Hope Depot, Lowes does not sell them. However, the flange is not really that big of a deal. A bit of silcon works just as good. I used a few drainage street elbows with a spigot and hub and no flange, to make two feeders, and they came out great.

Quote:

You can get street elbows with a flanged end at Hope Depot, Lowes does not sell them. However, the flange is not really that big of a deal. A bit of silcon works just as good. I used a few drainage street elbows with a spigot and hub and no flange, to make two feeders, and they came out great.
If I can get away without the glue then all the better. Yeah, HD around here did not have them - I even had them go online there in the kitchen dept. and showed them what I was talking about but they could not find them. hmmmmmm. i'll keep looking or just use the glue. (I have until spring of 2014) just anxious to build this the way I've seen it here on BYC.

So, i'm sold on this and went out to get the elbows - no luck on finding the type You used with the flange on the end that stays inside the bucket. Where did you get yours ?
Will continue to look locally (Abq.). Thanks .

Here's the product link (the picture looks different than the actual product, I didn't find out until I had it in front of me): http://www.homedepot.com/p/NIBCO-3-...Street-Elbow-C48072HD3/100347226#.UnBRP3BwpLc

I used the "Check Store Inventory" function to find the stores near me that had it in stock, not all Home Depot's carry them. And as others have pointed out, a regular street elbow without the flange on the inside will also work. (EDIT: Ooh, and I just realized in my instructions I said the opposite, I was wrong, it will work.)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom