Make your own - No waste - 5 gallon (25# feed) bucket feeder for about $3

Pics
I would think that 2" would be too small. Obviously, I am new to this feeder and could be wrong. I just think, after looking at the one I've built that the 3" is as small as you should go. But maybe try it out and see what happens... I would think that if it is too small the chickens won't stick their head in. I guess we'll see.

Quote: I used 1.5" because its what I had. I used a cat sand bucket and placed 5 vents in it. Bought a small square fan from wallyworld. Input temperature was 92 and output was 80 when I pulled the thermometer. Vents are approx. 2" off the bottom and I put water in up to the vents for more square inch of cold. Lasts about 3 hours.

I used 1.5" because its what I had. I used a cat sand bucket and placed 5 vents in it. Bought a small square fan from wallyworld. Input temperature was 92 and output was 80 when I pulled the thermometer. Vents are approx. 2" off the bottom and I put water in up to the vents for more square inch of cold. Lasts about 3 hours.
You sort of lost me with this one, sounds like you're describing some sort of cooling device. Sounds like it's working though
smile.png

What I meant, was that I used a vent instead of an elbow as the opening to feed from. It's the one on the left in the first picture. Also showing assembled feeder, and feeder in use in the following pictures.

Posted a clip on our slightly larger build a while back..if interested..
0.jpg

Looking at making up another feeder & clip with a few different mods I've worked out for folks that cant find the flanged fittings.. Have also seen some other ideas online I want to have a crack at as well..
Keep promising my sister I will make her up one but the feed store is having problems getting the bins back in :/
Cheers & hope the clip helps..

I'm bookmarking this. I didn't really read everything, but just in case our tractor supple generic feeder doesn't fit the bill, I can show this to hubby!! Thanks for all the instructions!

Made one with two elbows and a 5 gallon bucket. Works great. Chickens will empty this feeder before going to the traditional hanging feeder.

So, I have built one with 2 - 3inch elbows. How many chickens can reasonably eat from this? I have 30 or 31 chickens in the pen that I will be putting this in. How many 2 hole feeders do I need? or Do you think I should just add another elbow or 2 in the one I have already built? I guess the bottom line question is - How many chickens should I count on to eat from each hole?

So, I have built one with 2 - 3inch elbows. How many chickens can reasonably eat from this?  I have 30 or 31 chickens in the pen that I will be putting this in.  How many 2 hole feeders do I need?  or Do you think I should just add another elbow or 2 in the one I have already built?  I guess the bottom line question is - How many chickens should I count on to eat from each hole?
would have at least 2 feeders in with that many chickens just to avoid squabbling, the feed won't go to waste and if they only use one then that's less you'll have to fill it.

Back
Top Bottom