Make your own - No waste - 5 gallon (25# feed) bucket feeder for about $3

Pics
My foot is much better today. I'm walking now without the crutches.

I think I'm overfeeding my chickens with these new feeders. All they want to do is eat and roost during the day. Before I gave them a certain amount of feed, they ate and then free ranged all day, didn't go into the coop except to lay an egg or hard rain. Any suggestions?

My foot is much better today.  I'm walking now without the crutches.

I think I'm overfeeding my chickens with these new feeders.  All they want to do is eat and roost during the day.  Before I gave them a certain amount of feed, they ate and then free ranged all day, didn't go into the coop except to lay an egg or hard rain.  Any suggestions?
If you have PVC feeders, maybe you can use the PVC caps and cap the feeders of after they eat in the a.m ?

Yes, I guess that's what I'll have to do. Just put enough feed for a day in each bin. The whole purpose of the feeders was for convenience, fill them up and no worries. Well, that hasn't quite gone that way. The rats found the feeders during the night so we had to buy PVC covers and then put them on at night and take them off in the morning. That's what I was doing when the rooster nailed me.

I had a long piece of rain gutter that I attached to the fence that worked great for their feed but wild birds discovered it. We were not only concerned for the amount of feed they were eating but diseases.

Great DIY. I made one today and I had a question. I have 4 week old chicks that are just going into the coop/run. I am constantly changing food because they are sitting on top and dirtying it, so this will work perfect. Does anyone feel that they are too young for this feeder? Also, how to you introduce them to try it? Almost seems like they can climb in the elbow!

Great DIY.  I made one today and I had a question.  I have 4 week old chicks that are just going into the coop/run.  I am constantly changing food because they are sitting on top and dirtying it, so this will work perfect.  Does anyone feel that they are too young for this feeder?  Also, how to you introduce them to try it?  Almost seems like they can climb in the elbow!
I waited until mine were 8 weeks old, put a little food on the edge of the elbow once they see it you'll be in business.

Great DIY. I made one today and I had a question. I have 4 week old chicks that are just going into the coop/run. I am constantly changing food because they are sitting on top and dirtying it, so this will work perfect. Does anyone feel that they are too young for this feeder? Also, how to you introduce them to try it? Almost seems like they can climb in the elbow!
Waited until mine were bigger. They kept using their beaks to rake through the food in the regular feeder and kept wasting so much of it. While they are smaller, to keep them from getting on top of it and pooping in the food, take a funnel, turn it upside down and run a string through the funnel. Tie one end of the string to the feeder handle and tie the other end to something that the feeder can hang from. Hang it low enough so they can eat. The funnel will rest on top of the feeder and they won't be able to perch on top of the feeder because the funnel is slanted.

as far as the bucket feeder, mine were naturally curious enough to stick their heads in the hole. I don't know if they could smell the food, but they figured it out fast. Once they see one puts its head in the bucket, the others will copy and they will all realize there's food in it and will come back when hungry.

Does anyone feel that they are too young for this feeder? Also, how to you introduce them to try it? Almost seems like they can climb in the elbow!

I made 2 mini feeders for my babies. The first one I made when they were around 2 weeks old. I used a 1 1/2" pipe and a 2 gallon bucket.

The 2nd one I used a 2" pipe and 2 gallon bucket when they were around 4 weeks old. Both worked great. I just put one station in the bucket with 8 chicks.

Last edited:
I have the same problem.I have to shake my container everyday in order for the food to fall in the opening..
I cut 2 slots on the sides of the elbow..It helps some but does not correct the problem.
I think I'm going to cut a 1 to 2 inch opening in the upper part of the bend of the elbow so food will fall in it a little easier..

I would wait till they are a little bigger (a few more weeks). They will take to it quickly...
They are naturally curious... I put my other regular feeder up on a small block so the little chicks wouldn't poop in the feeder.

Back
Top Bottom