Make your own - No waste - 5 gallon (25# feed) bucket feeder for about $3

Pics
I think The pasta box would work great for chicks in a brooder! Easier to increase the size of the hole in the box as the chicks grow and easy to just get a new box when you need to.

I dont want to argue the point but I have 10 chicks that are 5 weeks old and I fill my Foldgers feeder up, the extra 100 cup size, and they go through that in 3 days. I am not sure how that would work with a pasta box unless you are filling it up all the time.

The pasta box feeder would certainly be less hassel up front as you do not have to build the feeder but you would have to be filling it up all the time.

No argument. You're right, it would have to be filled more often. I just look for different ways to keep them from pooping in their food and using their beak to dig through the food which leads to them scooping it out of the feeder and wasting it. That's my only 2 criteria. I don't mind filling it more often while they are in the brooder.

Hi! Love this. My husband just made 2 for our big girls. I also have a coop with a Cochin Bantam and an Egyptian Fayoumis. I worry that the 3" will be too big for them as well as the elbow being too long for my bantam. What do you guys use for their bantams?

And... we are heading out of town and have someone just coming once a day to check on our girls and clean out their coops around 6pm so we won't be able to cover it over night. So worried about rodents. They won't be able to run free while we are gone because we have such a hawk problem so they will be their coops until she comes at 6pm so that's why we can't cover it. Any ideas on this one?

Thanks!
Mm about the bantams... Finally found the replies on this post about them!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom