Making my own suet from pann drippings?

Thanks for the recipe ideas. I am going to try a suet cake with BOSS, scratch, oats and drippings. I hope my girls like it!
smile.png

Just thought I'd report back on the homemade suet treats for the girls.

I mixed BOSS, scratch, a bit of rolled oats and a bit of herbs and put them into 500mL yogurt tubs with a cord down the center. I melted my bacon fat and beef tallow down and poured it in, put it outside to let it harden. When it was hardened (I gave it a good 6 hours) I tried to pull the suet out of the tubs. That didn't work, so I had to cut the yogurt tub down the side and get it out.

Unfortunately, i don't think I had my fats hot enough, as it didn't penetrate the whole tub of seeds. So Next time I will layer it as I go. I also found that the cord I used was no good - it is nylon and too slippery and just pulled right out when I went to hang it up. Next time I'll tie a loop in it and use a cotton cord or something a little absorbent that the fats can stick to.

So I just threw it into a dish on the floor of the coop.

The girls love the treats! Just next time I want it hanging up.
smile.png

for hanging kind..give this a try....cut a bottom from cardboard or plastic cover...punch hole in center..run cord thur & tie off on back side....line containor with freezer paper or grease good.....lay cut out bottom inside containor....pour ingreds in....set to cool.....the cut out bottom will prevent it from fallin apart once hung. surprising with grease- fats added it will still stick to containor..the freezer paper will help to remove from mold.

Back
Top Bottom