Malays in Winter

May 14, 2019
North Florida
I have two Malay pullets of laying age under consideration that would be coming from a much warmer part of Florida. They likely haven’t experienced anything colder than the high 30s. My farm in far north Florida will likely experience many more freezes, some into the 20s, before the winter is over.

How well do Malays overwinter in non-tropical environments? These two pullets will be roosting with Liege crosses on a single roost bar that will be covered and wind blocked but otherwise open.

I have two Malay pullets of laying age under consideration that would be coming from a much warmer part of Florida. They likely haven’t experienced anything colder than the high 30s. My farm in far north Florida will likely experience many more freezes, some into the 20s, before the winter is over.

How well do Malays overwinter in non-tropical environments? These two pullets will be roosting with Liege crosses on a single roost bar that will be covered and wind blocked but otherwise open.
They do well, I do nothing special other then alittle extra fat in the diet, deep pack litter on the coop floor for natural heat. It can get down into the negatives where I live.

They have done well at a little under 30 here.
I can’t wait to see what they produce for you if all goes well. Ever thought of adding ganoi into flock? I have some really hardy really good survivor ganoi. They grow FAST too vs other oriental breeds I’ve raised.

Where'd you get your Malays? I'm currently looking for more.
I don’t have them yet. They’re about 3 hours south of me near Orlando. I’m trying to vet them a bit. The pullets look right but from the one pic I have of the parents I can’t tell if they’re Malays or some other oriental gamefowl being labeled as such. The price they’re asking for the pullets is reasonable for any healthy orientals but it will be a long trip if they aren’t what I’m looking for.

2CBDA0CD-69BC-499B-968B-66557D1F7D09.jpeg

The pullets, which I think look about right (but also look very aseel like).

The pic of the parents gave me pause, but out of respect for the seller I’m going to see if they offer better pics before I post and comment. Its a bad angle for judging their traits and I had a question about something else I saw.

View attachment 3377744

The pic of the parents gave me pause, but out of respect for the seller I’m going to see if they offer better pics before I post and comment. Its a bad angle for judging their traits and I had a question about something else I saw.
These guys look good, but if you say the parents look suspicious maybe ask for some better ones before buying them

View attachment 3377744

They're the American/European type.
I'm looking for the Indian, Shrimp Tail type.

Back
Top Bottom