Malays in Winter

Sounds good. I'm really intrigued to see the parents now🤣
17114CBB-7687-4FB5-AB8A-F67B6A9AD5D6.jpeg

That’s all I got for the parents. The hen looks very tiny compared to the cock and seems to have dark legs.

I should add that the hen reminds me of aseel hens both my brother and I had at the start of my Liege cross project. My brother still has some pure aseel hens I was able to look at this past weekend. Their build is very quail-like, which is what this hen reminds me of. The cock also looks more like a large aseel from the top.

View attachment 3377766

That’s all I got for the parents. The hen looks very tiny compared to the cock and seems to have dark legs.
Granted, this really is a terrible photo, but the cock looks OK. The hen, for me her skull is a little on the thin side, and she very small. Her beak is also quite thin. Her general build is very slender, which is not necessarily bad, but in this case it isn't the biggest positive

I agree, these guys, or at least the rooster looks more like an aseel, the hen probably still is purebred, just not the best specimen put there

Maybe @MysteryChicken can help with more Malay focused information

View attachment 3377766

Looking at the parents, they maybe Crossed between the two different types, both the American/European type, & Indian Malay. Maybe alittle Aseel thrown in too.

I got mixed feelings. For the purposes of my breeding project, I want at least one more oriental gamefowl line of a largish strain in with my aseel x Liege crosses to impart extra vigor. I actually would prefer long feathered birds to tight feathered, as I’d cull out the tight feathered birds anyhow in subsequent generations. I want there to be as much diversity as possible on the oriental side or things, because once I finally get all the genetics mixed in I want I’m going to heavily line breed to Indo and Azog for several generations. Therefore, it doesn’t “have” to be a Malay. I am attracted to Malays because they were likely foundational in the creation of the Liege. But oriental crosses with fuller feathering might do me better.

However, it will be a 6 hour trip both ways and I am not sure whether the risk of bringing in strange birds of unknown background from an unknown source is worth it. I already have some good offers for verified oriental bloodlines that could be added later in 2023.

Another unknown is their attitude. If I’m going to add another oriental line, it needs to have some fire in it.

If they were close to me, I don’t think I’d fret much over risking it. But there’s a lot of unknowns here. I’ll await better pics and if I don’t get them by tonight or if things don’t look right when more come in, I may pass.

The seller just volunteered that the cock likely isn’t a pure Malay but instead probably has aseel in it and that the birds were bred by a private individual and does not warrant the purity. I didn’t press them on any of that, so either they’re reading this thread or they’re just being very honest. So our suspicions are confirmed they aren’t pure Malay. I’ve still asked for more pics to confirm whether they might be a good pick for my project.

I got mixed feelings. For the purposes of my breeding project, I want at least one more oriental gamefowl line of a largish strain in with my aseel x Liege crosses to impart extra vigor. I actually would prefer long feathered birds to tight feathered, as I’d cull out the tight feathered birds anyhow in subsequent generations. I want there to be as much diversity as possible on the oriental side or things, because once I finally get all the genetics mixed in I want I’m going to heavily line breed to Indo and Azog for several generations. Therefore, it doesn’t “have” to be a Malay. I am attracted to Malays because they were likely foundational in the creation of the Liege. But oriental crosses with fuller feathering might do me better.

However, it will be a 6 hour trip both ways and I am not sure whether the risk of bringing in strange birds of unknown background from an unknown source is worth it. I already have some good offers for verified oriental bloodlines that could be added later in 2023.

Another unknown is their attitude. If I’m going to add another oriental line, it needs to have some fire in it.

If they were close to me, I don’t think I’d fret much over risking it. But there’s a lot of unknowns here. I’ll await better pics and if I don’t get them by tonight or if things don’t look right when more come in, I may pass.
Malays are also the Ancestors of the Aseel breeds. So, technically, they could be classed as a large Aseel variety, but most don't like the idea.

Malays are a more stable variety of Gamefowl. Males can live together if kept together, but can't live with each other if previously separated.

They are also very intelligent, they think about a situation before reacting.

Back
Top Bottom