Mallard layed really weird "egg"

duckman4450

Chirping
7 Years
Aug 1, 2012
My mallard layed her very first egg earlier around 10 this morning, and it was a normal egg and everything. 6 hours later she was acting very strange so I knew she was gonna lay another one, then this thing came out! :confused: Does anybody know what on earth happened??

Last edited:
i have never seen this before i think its kind of cool but i think she just layed a egg that was not ready to be layed yet i would freak if my ducks layed that but i would say that the egg wasnt ready for laying

Is she getting layer feed and crushed oyster shell free choice?  

Amiga has indicated the best dietary supports to end shell -less eggs. It does happen and was very likely a glitch bcz your duck is just starting to lay eggs. I have 2 who just started laying back at the end of '13, and their eggs are super tiny. I expect that come Spring, their systems will have normalized. Your duck should too.

Yes, she eats layer feed and she has gravel grit available to her. She also eats a lot of cracked corn and vegetables, along with meal worms and crickets, if that matters.

Is she getting layer feed and crushed oyster shell free choice?
Yes, she eats layer feed and she has gravel grit available to her. She also eats a lot of cracked corn and vegetables, along with meal worms and crickets, if that matters.

Gravel grit, or coarse sand, those are good for grinding food. But does it contain calcium? Crushed oyster shell is a calcium source.
I don't believe it does. I ordered some crushed oyster shells earlier today so I'll see if that does anything. Thanks for your help

Back
Top Bottom