MALLARD THREAD...not rouens, Mallards!

I have a mallard cross and i can't seem to get him to put on any weight any advice?
fl.gif
I would take a stool sample to a vet, have them check it for parasites.

This morning I went out to check on my two ducks the Pekin and the Mallard. the first thing I noticed was that the Pekin was all alone so I looked and the Pekin was covered in scratches then I found one single spot of feathers and blood, then I looked again and under the propane tank a couple yards away I found my Mallard and its head was ripped off and I can't find the head. What animal would do this????
I had the same deal on Sunday morning when I woke up, except my Swedish, one of my mallard hens and my chicken were gone. Only found what was left of the Swedish since he didn't fit under the fence like the other two I'm guessing.. Down to one very lonely little mallard hen now :(

I've been working night and day building a new coop that is going to keep my little girl safe, but for the time being she's been sleeping inside with me. Got more ducklings coming so hopefully she won't be lonely long. These were the two ducks I lost

And here's my Baby Girl, Lenny and Bob the chicken (coons got him as well)

I had the same deal on Sunday morning when I woke up, except my Swedish, one of my mallard hens and my chicken were gone. Only found what was left of the Swedish since he didn't fit under the fence like the other two I'm guessing.. Down to one very lonely little mallard hen now :( I've been working night and day building a new coop that is going to keep my little girl safe, but for the time being she's been sleeping inside with me. Got more ducklings coming so hopefully she won't be lonely long. These were the two ducks I lost And here's my Baby Girl, Lenny and Bob the chicken (coons got him as well)
That sucks :( I haven't had any more problems now that my dog gets along with the ducks though! So maybe if you have a dog you can try that.

I've got two dogs that got along great with the other birds, but the one hen I have left is VERY feisty. My CHESAPEAKE RETRIEVER won't go near her and a couple days ago my Australian Shepard got too close to my hens feed. Never seen a duck chase a dog before that. The chicken was especially fond of the aussie, though. They'd both curl up on my lap and fall asleep together every time I had bon fires.

I'm wondering if maybe my little hen survived the coons because she's 2 lbs of feathery fury. She was the only one who can't fly yet but she does not like critters with 4 legs!

the first picture we believe the male is laying down, the second we believe the male is on the right, but we are not sure, is there anyway to tell based off these pictures?
There are 2 things that I look for at this stage. One is the beak, the beak on the females is a brighter orange color around the edges. The drake's beak is more of an Olive Drab color even on adults. Also the voices are different. Usually the female is louder. The female has a clearer guack while the male has a raspy voice.

Question: Who determines the gender of
the offspring.... drake or hen?

and, is it likely OR, even certain, that whichever
one does the determining, they'd ALWAYS
create the same gender?

The reason I ask.... I have two males and two
females.... and one of the males has laid claim
to both females...

Only one of the females has laid eggs...

I put them in an incubator .... have hatched 14

9 of them are approximately 2 months of age
and they ALL appear to be male... the tops of
their heads are all green.... some only just
visibly green in bright sunlight.

only one has a band around it's neck.....

I REALLY want a bunch of hens and I'm afraid
that these wonderful little guys will just end up
on someone's plate if I take them to auction ;(

thanks for your input

Question:  Who determines the gender of
the offspring.... drake or hen?

and, is it likely OR, even certain, that whichever
one does the determining, they'd ALWAYS
create the same gender?

The reason I ask.... I have two males and two
females.... and one of the males has laid claim
to both females...

Only one of the females has laid eggs...

I put them in an incubator .... have hatched 14

9 of them are approximately 2 months of age
and they ALL appear to be male... the tops of
their heads are all green.... some only just
visibly green in bright sunlight.

only one has a band around it's neck.....

I REALLY want a bunch of hens and I'm afraid
that these wonderful little guys will just end up
on someone's plate if I take them to auction ;(

thanks for your input
maybe I'm not understanding the question but neither gender determines the offspring.....it's just like every other animal and the parents don't decide the sex of their children that's just the way it goes.

Back
Top Bottom