MALLARD THREAD...not rouens, Mallards!

Quote: 100% wrong

The answers to your question is that the female duck has the chromosome that determines the offsprings gender. To put it into terms that you might understand from a biology class or something. The female basically has the Y chromosome with an X chromosome and the males have 2 X chromosomes . So ducks are opposite of humans with females deciding the gender of the babies.

The female does not only lay just one gender, like humans there is a 50/50 chance of a boy or a girl being conceived

The green sheen on the top does not determine that if it a boy or a girl, when molted into their juvenil feather both males and females have a bit of green sheen on the top of their head , like a thick stripe thing. . The only way to determine the sex is by voice, Ventsexing ( When a few days old ) , or the sex feather that curls on males.

Last edited:
maybe I'm not understanding the question but neither gender determines the offspring.....it's just like every other animal and the parents don't decide the sex of their children that's just the way it goes.
i think you just misread the question

See i think what kstavert meant was what chromosomes from which parent determines the offspring. In all birds females chromosomes decide the sex of the babies since a females chromosomes are zw and males are zz (Z and W are used as birds sex chromosomes) so if a female passes a w chromosome then the baby will be female, if it passes a z then the baby will be male.

Last edited:
Well, in humans, the sperm determines
the gender of the offspring...(a whole
long science class on X and Y
chromasomes)

in chickens, the HEN determines the
gender....

I wondered if the same was true in ducks

100% wrong

The answers to your question is that the female duck has the chromosome that determines the offsprings gender. To put it into terms that you might understand from a biology class or something. The female basically has the Y chromosome with an X chromosome and the males have 2 X chromosomes . So ducks are opposite of humans with females deciding the gender of the babies.

The female  does not only lay just one gender, like humans there is a 50/50 chance of a boy or a girl being conceived 

The green sheen on the top does not determine that if it a boy or a girl, when molted into their juvenil feather both males and females have a bit of green sheen on the top of their head , like a thick stripe thing. . The only way to determine the sex is by voice, Ventsexing ( When a few days old ) , or the sex feather that curls on males. 
Oh my hahahahah you are complicating this..... An animal human or duck can not consciously decide if it wants its offspring to be male or female. What you are describing is quite different and involves features of the animal that can be used to tell if the animal is male or female. By the way hahaha biology is quite different than genetics and anatomy :)

Oh my hahahahah you are complicating this..... An animal human or duck can not consciously decide if it wants its offspring to be male or female. What you are describing is quite different and involves features of the animal that can be used to tell if the animal is male or female. By the way hahaha biology is quite different than genetics and anatomy :)
@buff goose guy

She was asking about genetics and what I said is scientifically correct
I'm not saying what you said isn't correct hahaha I'm saying that when you say one gender or another "determines" the gender of an offspring that phrase should be used more loosely. You are talking to a cardiologist here buddy.....

Quote:
i think you just misread the question

See i think what kstavert meant was what chromosomes from which parent determines the offspring. In all birds females chromosomes decide the sex of the babies since a females chromosomes are zw and males are zz (Z and W are used as birds sex chromosomes) so if a female passes a w chromosome then the baby will be female, if it passes a z then the baby will be male.
Buck, you worded my question far more
clearly than I - Thank you :)

and, I didn't know about the ZZ and WZ
chromosomes for birds...

Except for humans, I don't think that any
creature gives a hoot about the gender of
the offspring :)

Karen

Back
Top Bottom