MAMA Heating Pad....I'm getting cold feet!

WooHoo!!
Are those cloth diapers on top?
Can we see an end view?
Those are cloth diapers on top! Covered in Press and Seal..here is one end. One thing I would do differently next time is use a much smaller heating pad- this is the extra large one which is 24 inches long! They have been enjoying running from one end to the other and have figured it out, but it does take up a lot of room!! I checked on them this morning and everyone seems fine and happy.

Attachments

• IMG_5472.JPG
    IMG_5472.JPG
    63 KB · Views: 25
Mine are here and happy as well! They are in the house, in part because they are so cute I want to keep watching. They just seem too tiny to be outside - it was 25 last night.

One of them, today, has decided she's too cool for school and has been hopping up on top of the pad and snuggling next to the part that is against the wall. I reminded her twice about going underneath - nope. She popped right out and jumped back on top.

This is my first time raising chicks. Picked up 33 day olds and put them in 2 groups in the barn coop, each group with their own MHP.
IMG_20180403_185721343.jpg
Temps overnight and next day were low 30's. Next day, I decided it was too cold for ME! So I moved them in house so I could hang out with them. Added 11 more tinys the next day in their own brooder with MHP.
IMG_20180405_145440633.jpg
After a week, moved everyone to coop again when weather was nicer. Of course then all week had crappy cold weather, but they are doing great!
IMG_20180412_060247040_LL.jpg

Definitely recommend MHP chick raising!

I have only used MHP. I love it. I use it for my incubator hatched chicks, so I keep them in the house for awhile to be sure they know where heat is are eating drinking and have no issues.
My first batch I waited until 4 weeks to put them out in dog crate with MHP but I won’t do that again at 13 weeks they are still not fully integrated with my flock. My second hatch I put out at 2 weeks (plan was 1 week but we got sub zero temperatures so I held off), it was 30-40’s during day and down to teens at night and they thrived. After a few days they were squeezing in and out of the bars of the dog kennel and mingling with the flock most of the day. My flock paid them no mind at all. But they had the safety of the the crate to get away and food and water if needed. They would go back in crate under MHP for naps and at night to sleep.
View attachment 1344584 View attachment 1344585
Is that picture showing the MHP suspended and the chicks under it for warmth?
I want to use this method
Tell me the best setup.
Do they stand on it, or only rest under it?

Yes I made a heating plate with heating pad. I took wire rack bungee the heating pad to the the underside and threaded rod to make adjustable legs. I cut cardboard to make the top stable for the chicks to sit on. Here are some better pictures. I have 2 the other one we used large bolts, I liked the threaded rod better they are easier to adjust.
EE209A78-8084-4D75-A1FE-458A37D239CF.jpeg
B3EAA3B0-47A1-4766-892B-8C2012CCEC29.jpeg
C3B924C7-6B0C-4829-BA5B-81CBF16C1B10.jpeg

Cooling racks work great, for making the MHP. I put my heating pad on top. I cover the pad with press and seal and tape it to the rack, then put a towel over it and tape the towel, so the chicks can't get underneath. I use old towels, so no cost using them.

20180304_161327.jpg
After a couple weeks, don't be surprised if they like hanging out on top, instead of underneath.
20180317_141901.jpg

Is that picture showing the MHP suspended and the chicks under it for warmth?
I want to use this method
Tell me the best setup.
Do they stand on it, or only rest under it?
Chicks do both.....rest under and on top (if able....you could rig something to prevent the on top part but it's not necessary to do so).
I use a cookie rack, threaded rod and washer/nut setups as legs, super easy to adjust height as needed. I put my pads on top of the rack and use old towels cut to size with holes for the rods to go through as covers.

I am sold on the MHP idea and like it better than the heat lamp idea. I have 25 day old chicks arriving next week and am getting things set up for them. I am going to use a dog x-pen wrapped in a blanket, with a screen on top and pine shavings. Originally I was going to set this up out in the coop, but the NE wind has been pretty fierce lately driving the temps down quite low, plus I would have to do the extension cord thing. Now I'm thinking I'll put them in the spare bedroom with a shower curtain under the shavings. I like the idea of not having a light on all the time. They need to get used to daylight and dark (right?) I appreciate the idea of using the cookie cooling rack and the adjustable legs. The first time I raised chicks in a brooder I used a commercial metal one and it worked fine, but it was harder to clean and I didn't get to sit and watch them as much as I will this new idea. I am really excited about having chickens again.

It’s almost three years later and I’m so glad I found this thread. I am feeling the same anxiety... brooding chicks for the first time and it’s COLD outside... in the 30’s at night. I’m going to trust everything I’ve read and go for it. I’m not sure I’ll be able to start them in the house. I may have to put them outside right away, but I’ll see when they get here in a couple of days. Thanks for the motivation and insight from everyone on this posts and the many others I’ve read.

I have only used MHP. I love it. I use it for my incubator hatched chicks, so I keep them in the house for awhile to be sure they know where heat is are eating drinking and have no issues.
My first batch I waited until 4 weeks to put them out in dog crate with MHP but I won’t do that again at 13 weeks they are still not fully integrated with my flock. My second hatch I put out at 2 weeks (plan was 1 week but we got sub zero temperatures so I held off), it was 30-40’s during day and down to teens at night and they thrived. After a few days they were squeezing in and out of the bars of the dog kennel and mingling with the flock most of the day. My flock paid them no mind at all. But they had the safety of the the crate to get away and food and water if needed. They would go back in crate under MHP for naps and at night to sleep.
View attachment 1344584 View attachment 1344585
Thanks for this! I’m wanting to do this too and my new chicks are 1 week tomorrow. I have ten. And I currently have 13 year old hens in a coop outside. Right now my chicks are using those adjustable “brooder” warm plates in my basement with surrounding ambient temps at 60-65 degrees. They are thriving so far. But I really want to do the outside brooder mama’s heat pad method that you have set up but need lots of direction for a beginner! Advice?!?

Back
Top Bottom