Mama Heating Pad in the Brooder (Picture Heavy) - UPDATE

We've been up in Billings all day so while I was sneaking peaks every so often I waited until we got home to truly catch up.

@PaisyQ it's always fun to pop in and see someone who hasn't been active on the thread come in and get those dues paid right off the bat! Welcome to the Broody Brigade! Cute chicks, and nice set up!

You know, that makes me wonder - we have kind of an idea how many folks have switched from heat lamps to either MHP or @aart 's pseudo heating plate based loosely on how many come in and either ask questions, need a little help getting started, or have been doing it since the beginning of the thread and are on subsequent batches. But it makes me wonder how many are using it now that we don't even know about........I know there's a feed store in Ohio that isn't using heat lamps for the chicks they stock anymore, so I'm sure buyers have seen MHP in action and decided to try it. Then we have MHP fans who tell others about it on different threads. Wouldn't it be a hoot to know just how far this has spread - to know how many are using it that we aren't even aware of? Hmmmmm food for thought!

frow.gif
Welcome, @AllynTal Consider yourself counted!

While we're (I'm) on the topic, found out this morning that we have hit the "Big Time". If you Google "brooding chicks with a heating pad" or some similar combinations, guess what pops up? Yep, little ol' us!

Wondering f I can ask a poop question here? I searched the forums but couldn't find anything that matched what I saw. One of my chicks pooped and it had what looked like a string of egg white coming from its bum. The poop was runny and a little yellow. I tried to grab her to isolate her to make sure nothing was wrong and as I reached for her she finished her biz and took.off. Man they are fast! And of course I have like 15 more that look just like her so I lost her in the crowd
hmm.png
Anyway, is that stringy looking poo cause for concern?

Does he call the hens to food as well? If he is calling the chicks I'd wager you can go for a very early integration with portals from the brooder pen to the rest of the area. I bet that rooster will protect the chicks from all comers, just like a mama hen would.

We've been up in Billings all day so while I was sneaking peaks every so often I waited until we got home to truly catch up.

@PaisyQ it's always fun to pop in and see someone who hasn't been active on the thread come in and get those dues paid right off the bat! Welcome to the Broody Brigade! Cute chicks, and nice set up!

You know, that makes me wonder - we have kind of an idea how many folks have switched from heat lamps to either MHP or @aart 's pseudo heating plate based loosely on how many come in and either ask questions, need a little help getting started, or have been doing it since the beginning of the thread and are on subsequent batches. But it makes me wonder how many are using it now that we don't even know about........I know there's a feed store in Ohio that isn't using heat lamps for the chicks they stock anymore, so I'm sure buyers have seen MHP in action and decided to try it. Then we have MHP fans who tell others about it on different threads. Wouldn't it be a hoot to know just how far this has spread - to know how many are using it that we aren't even aware of? Hmmmmm food for thought!

OK, Blooie. I think it's time to add a survey to this thread, or perhaps do a MHP#2 thread, with an attached survey. Be sure to add a question pertaining to: "Have you had any friends or acquaintances use MHP as a result of your recommendation?"

@PaisyQ Cute!!! What breeds are they?
Thanks. :) They are mixed breed. The mother of the dark ones is a silver laced wyandotte, and the mother of the light colored one is ??? mixed breed.

From when they were much younger; the light one's mom on the right, dad on the left.

Dad last summer I think. He hatched from a green egg, so I used to think he was an EE. Most of his chicks end up with muffs, but none of his daughters lay green or blue eggs as of yet.

Very cute! My 2012 chicks were raised similarly. Be aware that IN the tub only lasts about 2 weeks. By then they can fly two feet up. And then they will get brave and head to the bathroom floor. But they can't get back up
wink.png

I know.
wink.png
This is the second year I'm brooding in the bathtub. First year they actually didn't figure out how to get out until about 4 weeks old, but then I couldn't keep them in. I have plans worked out for a barrier to add. I just have to get around to making it.

You know, that makes me wonder - we have kind of an idea how many folks have switched from heat lamps to either MHP or aart's pseudo heating plate based loosely on how many come in and either ask questions, need a little help getting started, or have been doing it since the beginning of the thread and are on subsequent batches. But it makes me wonder how many are using it now that we don't even know about........I know there's a feed store in Ohio that isn't using heat lamps for the chicks they stock anymore, so I'm sure buyers have seen MHP in action and decided to try it. Then we have MHP fans who tell others about it on different threads. Wouldn't it be a hoot to know just how far this has spread - to know how many are using it that we aren't even aware of? Hmmmmm food for thought!
Thanks @Blooie! I'm really loving this. I just put the babies to bed for the night. It is so nice and quiet in there right now, I'm loving it.

Probably won't ever know for sure, but if it keeps catching on, I'm sure we'll start seeing more and more people using it. I've already talked it over with a couple people I know how keep hens; they're waiting on my experience, but both are interested in giving it a try.

OK, Blooie. I think it's time to add a survey to this thread, or perhaps do a MHP#2 thread, with an attached survey. Be sure to add a question pertaining to: "Have you had any friends or acquaintances use MHP as a result of your recommendation?"
Oh, I dunno LG. I kinda like it the way it is now - those who come here do so because they are either going to try it or are interested to see the experiences of others before they jump in. If I started a new thread and had a survey, we'd probably have a lot of people come in who would be spending their time warning us that we are going to kill our chicks by freezing them to death.
lau.gif

My neighbor was over today and she was checking out the chicks and considering having some. I told her all about the MHP so I'm sure they will use it if they do decide on chickens. Together we could supply our small neighborhood with eggs!
1f61d.png
There are only 4 houses

Back
Top Bottom