Mama Heating Pad in the Brooder (Picture Heavy) - UPDATE

Hi there. I've read through quite a few of these posts, but not all 513 pages! Wow! I just tried the MHP method for the first time. I really like it but did have one chick death and I want to mention it so others don't have this same problem. I had the heating pad on top of the frame. Then I had 2 towels wrapped in press n seal cause 1 wasn't big enough to cover it all up. The 2 towels overlapped by about 4". This morning I went out to check on the chicks and one had crawled in between the 2 towels and suffocated. I feel awful cause I could have avoided it. I've now taken away all towels and don't care if the heating pad itself gets pooped on. At least they can't get trapped between anything. I'm wondering if this has happened to anyone else. Other than this sad event, I still think the method is a good one and better than a heat lamp.
I'm sorry that happened. It stinks to lose a single one. I'm glad you took the time to stop by and let us know what happened. If you think about a Mama Hen raising her chicks, they will burrow under the warmest spot, working their way under her, and I suspect that's what you little chick did - just followed his instincts and found a niche to squiggle and worm his way into. I've never had one do that, but I've never used two towels either so the situation hasn't come up for me. @Beekissed tucks her entire assembly inside a pillowcase, putting her heating pad on the inside of the wire frame. She's done it this way for years. She posted some photos and a description here, and I'll give you the link to that page.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/956958/mama-heating-pad-in-the-brooder-picture-heavy-update/450

For me the towel serves more of a purpose that keeping the heating pad clean. It's an extra layer of fluffy warmth, and helps insulate the heating pad from the temperature fluctuations in the room or outside. Frankly I feel like you do - it's their heating pad and if they want to poop on it that's okay, they're washable. The heating pad dries the poop up pretty quickly and a quick shake usually knocks it off, so it's no big deal. But like I said, it's the extra insulating that I'm after, because I brood my chicks outdoors. I have some eggs in the incubator now, and as soon as they are dry and fluffy and I know that they're okay, out they'll go.

Fantastic, @aart I shall mark you in the book as "paid in triplicate"!
wink.png

If I do it, and I probably will, I'll use chicken wire or maybe HC...I do not care for plastic fencing at all.
I'll need about 150 feet of it to do both runs....luckily my gates are pretty tight so shouldn't need to overlap.
If I were doing it over, I'd also use regular metal fencing. When I did them I was in a hurry and "somewhat lazy" as I knew it would be harder for me to wrangle the metal as quickly. I also had worked with the metal before and was unable to figure out a good way to re-use it. At the time I was thinking that the lining was going to be temporary but almost 3 years later... I'm thinking it is a permanant fixture.
lol.png

@FlyWheel if it's any consolation, my 4 BO girls behave the same way at 2.5 weeks. They "roost" on top of MHP and have been for over a week. I think because my house is much warmer at 68 than if they were outside. They won't eat yogurt, fermented food, oatmeal, apple, or bread. Throw some dirt, chickweed, dandelion blossoms, etc. in there though, and they go nuts. Mealworms are a hit too. Then every night right before they go to bed, they have a loud chirping session. I think they want to see if I'll come check on them or bring treats. Who's training who, I wonder?! But they're thriving and happy!
I tried mealworms too. Those at least they ate, but it wasn't exact;y a "Jaws style" feeding frenzy either. I would really like to find something they are crazy about, so I can use it to help them 'imprint' on me.

Back
Top Bottom