Mama Heating Pad in the Brooder (Picture Heavy) - UPDATE

Yeah that could be the deal, being outside for the first time. I also read dust can make them sneeze, it's so windy here, maybe the wind is kicking up dust? I tend to have allergies and I'm okay?
I posted on the illness forum also, to see what people think. I'm trying not to get scared but...

Also I added more bedding-pine shavings and straw, the floor is concrete so I just want to make sure there's enough bedding. Under the MHP I have a big towel folded three times with a layer of pine shavings under that, then more shavings on top of the towel and some straw as well.

I always watching them for a bit when I'm down there and they aren't usually under MHP, maybe a couple of them are. Most of them are busy doing chick stuff. They don't seem cold? Ugh. Praying my chicks are okay :(

My chicks will sneeze occasionally just due to the dust they kick up (I sneeze from it too!), so it may be nothing to worry about.

I added pine shavings from my daughter's gerbil stash and the chicks love scratching around in it. They are about 5 or 6 days now and I am pretty sure one of by buff chicks is trying to dust bathe. I would like to make a little bath for her, but not really sure what is safe for them to use right now?

Oh and I also bumped the MHP up to 4? I don't know if I'm doing the right thing half the time...much like when my daughter was a baby ;o

@Blooie Can you remind me, what was yours set on once they went outside? It's supposed to be low 30's tonight and in the 40's tomorrow. Thank you <3 I know you've probably said it a million times, I can't remember and I can't find it in the thread :eek: Thank you!!

Last edited:
I added pine shavings from my daughter's gerbil stash and the chicks love scratching around in it.  They are about 5 or 6 days now and I am pretty sure one of by buff chicks is trying to dust bathe.  I would like to make a little bath for her, but not really sure what is safe for them to use right now?

Shavings are fine. I have used builder's sand and peat moss as well.

Well, the sun's pretty much down here in the midwest, so time for them to be settling in to sleep. If they don't want under MHP for that, it may be a little too warm so you'll know to turn it down.

When it was warmer last week I had it on 3 and noticed at night they had started pig piling at the opening, some under and some just barely under at all, so I was thinking of turning it down to 2. Then it turned cold again and so they're more under it again. Maybe 3 was okay. I just wonder about the temp changes and how to adjust the HP accordingly. I'll go doe here in a bit again once it gets good and dark and see where they're laying, maybe turn it back to 3.

Back
Top Bottom