Mama Heating Pad in the Brooder (Picture Heavy) - UPDATE

It's chick season at my house. :) These guys are in a holding box with their MHP waiting for the rest of their siblings to hatch so I could take them out to the coop. Out of 26 eggs (shipped eggs, no less, in the heat of early summer), five weren't fertile, one quit early in the process, and the rest of the 20 hatched about two weeks ago. And here they are in the coop getting checked out by a few of the flock. And the next day a few ventured into the nursery run: By the end of the next day, they were all in the run. MHP for the win!
I incubated and brooded chicks all spring! Been taking a couple months off this summer, getting projects done, expanding the garden, and adding meat rabbits. Going to be getting the incubator running again, once the pullet eggs get a bit more consistent.
Good to know everyone is okay and didn't just disappear haha Those chicks are too cute!!! I can understand taking time off from chicks. We've been working on the new coop off and on, mostly off :p , plus several concerts and I just got back from visiting a friend in Pittsburgh last Monday. Was there a week. So that's taken up lots of the summer. I had actually meant to start a vegetable garden but never did. I was told maybe a month ago there was still time for squash and pumpkins and such but I procrastinated acting on it so I think now it's probably too late for anything. Meant to plant the beginning of summer but whoops. Don't even have beds ready. I've never really gardened before. We tried last summer or the year before but the only thing that survived were the tomatoes and they got eaten by the deer, plant and all, before we could get to them. I had hoped to have better luck this year but never got around to planting. Went crazy on a seed spending spree, peppers, pumpkin, squash, watermelon, kale, cucumber, broccoli, etc. etc. Whoops. Do you think that the seeds may last until next season? I know they have a best by date and the seeds are sold for the current season but I just thought maybe they might still last? Maybe just not as viable? I guess what I'm saying is I don't want the seeds to go to waste so do you think I could perhaps try them next year? I sure hope so. I've thought about trying meat rabbits too or meat chickens but we've just poured so much money into our current chickens plus various other things that rabbits just aren't really feasible though. Plus I think I would find them too cute and fluffy to kill. Even chickens I doubt I'd be able to kill. And I really like that set up for the chicks. I'm trying to figure out what to do for the new chicks. I don't think I want to put them in the garage again and even if I did, I would have to come up with a bigger and more permanent solution. The old brooder has been taken down but also it was just completely makeshift, I mean 2 sides were cardboard and it wasn't really big enough for 8 but for 5 it might be okay. They can't go in the house again because first of all, that was a mistake, they were only supposed to be in for 1 night and stayed for 3 weeks, and second of all we redid the bathrooms so there's nowhere for them to go now. The kiddy pool thing worked okay but it's outgrown too fast. Anyway, I'm thinking I really like the idea of brooding them in the run and/or coop but the dilemma is our coop isn't really big enough to put a brooder inside, only 4x8. I was thinking of sectioning off part of the new run but I wasn't sure what to do about shelter. Speaking of which, brooding outdoors also brings the dilemma of a power source since there isn't electric to the coop. But it's close enough to the house I could probably run electric via extension cord from the garage or basement out there. I guess maybe I could always save the old coop, put the included little run back together, and stick it inside the bigs run?? That may be the best option. I'm mostly just concerned though about the fact that it's going to be October when I get them. Early October but still. Brooding outdoors concerns me. My first were brooded inside for 3 weeks then the garage to 7 weeks. The garage was pretty cold and if they hadn't been in the house for 3 weeks probably could have gone outside sooner than 7 weeks but still. I guess maybe I'm just spoiling and babying them but I am so worried they're going to freeze to death out there. Especially since last winter was a very very mild winter and we had barely any snow so I'm worried if this winter will be a real winter.

Good to know everyone is okay and didn't just disappear haha

Those chicks are too cute!!!

I can understand taking time off from chicks. We've been working on the new coop off and on, mostly off :p , plus several concerts and I just got back from visiting a friend in Pittsburgh last Monday. Was there a week. So that's taken up lots of the summer. I had actually meant to start a vegetable garden but never did. I was told maybe a month ago there was still time for squash and pumpkins and such but I procrastinated acting on it so I think now it's probably too late for anything. Meant to plant the beginning of summer but whoops. Don't even have beds ready. I've never really gardened before. We tried last summer or the year before but the only thing that survived were the tomatoes and they got eaten by the deer, plant and all, before we could get to them. I had hoped to have better luck this year but never got around to planting. Went crazy on a seed spending spree, peppers, pumpkin, squash, watermelon, kale, cucumber, broccoli, etc. etc. Whoops. Do you think that the seeds may last until next season? I know they have a best by date and the seeds are sold for the current season but I just thought maybe they might still last? Maybe just not as viable? I guess what I'm saying is I don't want the seeds to go to waste so do you think I could perhaps try them next year? I sure hope so.

I've thought about trying meat rabbits too or meat chickens but we've just poured so much money into our current chickens plus various other things that rabbits just aren't really feasible though. Plus I think I would find them too cute and fluffy to kill. Even chickens I doubt I'd be able to kill.

And I really like that set up for the chicks. I'm trying to figure out what to do for the new chicks. I don't think I want to put them in the garage again and even if I did, I would have to come up with a bigger and more permanent solution. The old brooder has been taken down but also it was just completely makeshift, I mean 2 sides were cardboard and it wasn't really big enough for 8 but for 5 it might be okay. They can't go in the house again because first of all, that was a mistake, they were only supposed to be in for 1 night and stayed for 3 weeks, and second of all we redid the bathrooms so there's nowhere for them to go now. The kiddy pool thing worked okay but it's outgrown too fast. Anyway, I'm thinking I really like the idea of brooding them in the run and/or coop but the dilemma is our coop isn't really big enough to put a brooder inside, only 4x8. I was thinking of sectioning off part of the new run but I wasn't sure what to do about shelter. Speaking of which, brooding outdoors also brings the dilemma of a power source since there isn't electric to the coop. But it's close enough to the house I could probably run electric via extension cord from the garage or basement out there. I guess maybe I could always save the old coop, put the included little run back together, and stick it inside the bigs run?? That may be the best option. I'm mostly just concerned though about the fact that it's going to be October when I get them. Early October but still. Brooding outdoors concerns me. My first were brooded inside for 3 weeks then the garage to 7 weeks. The garage was pretty cold and if they hadn't been in the house for 3 weeks probably could have gone outside sooner than 7 weeks but still. I guess maybe I'm just spoiling and babying them but I am so worried they're going to freeze to death out there. Especially since last winter was a very very mild winter and we had barely any snow so I'm worried if this winter will be a real winter.

You can try storing the seeds you bought this year and they may still be viable next year. It's work for me with herb seeds. I put them all in a plastic bag and shove them in the freezer. Hopefully your memory is better than mine, and you'll remember them next spring!

You can try to do a fall garden with frost resistant things like kale and chard or quick growing things like lettuce, spinach, and radishes. You can get herbs like oregano, mint, thyme, sage, and rosemary going now. They will die during winter, but they will regrow in the spring.
Yep!

And it's the perfect time of year to get garlic planted.
Too early for garlic, late october/early november here......for kdogs area too.

No chicky babies here, just waiting for the last batch to start laying in the next few weeks...and contemplating the fall cull list.
Want to build another hoop coop tractor but having trouble lining up transport for panels.

The MHP seems like a great way to go, and I'm hoping to use it with my first batch of chicks which are due to arrive in early Sept. I was hoping to block off a portion of the run to put the chicks and MHP in, but was wondering if that will work when it rains...? I could keep a tarp over the portion of the run that doesn't have a roof, or block the chicks off in the area that does have a roof. Still, I'm wondering about wind blowing the rain into the area where they and the MHP are. Will it short out? Be an electrical hazard? Any advice is much appreciated!
smile.png

The MHP seems like a great way to go, and I'm hoping to use it with my first batch of chicks which are due to arrive in early Sept. I was hoping to block off a portion of the run to put the chicks and MHP in, but was wondering if that will work when it rains...? I could keep a tarp over the portion of the run that doesn't have a roof, or block the chicks off in the area that does have a roof. Still, I'm wondering about wind blowing the rain into the area where they and the MHP are. Will it short out? Be an electrical hazard? Any advice is much appreciated!
smile.png
Chicks definitely need to be protected from wind and rain and damp...and any electrical connections should be kept bone dry.
Some of the pads used can be washed....but not when they're plugged in
wink.png

.... Do you think that the seeds may last until next season? I know they have a best by date and the seeds are sold for the current season but I just thought maybe they might still last? Maybe just not as viable? I guess what I'm saying is I don't want the seeds to go to waste so do you think I could perhaps try them next year? I sure hope so....

That is correct. They'll still be okay. Put them in a ziploc bag and stick them in the frig. Viability may drop a tad for next season, but it'll be okay. I've had seeds for years that I still was able to use. And I mean years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDOGG331

...Anyway, I'm thinking I really like the idea of brooding them in the run and/or coop but the dilemma is our coop isn't really big enough to put a brooder inside, only 4x8. I was thinking of sectioning off part of the new run but I wasn't sure what to do about shelter. Speaking of which, brooding outdoors also brings the dilemma of a power source since there isn't electric to the coop. But it's close enough to the house I could probably run electric via extension cord from the garage or basement out there. I guess maybe I could always save the old coop, put the included little run back together, and stick it inside the bigs run?? That may be the best option. I'm mostly just concerned though about the fact that it's going to be October when I get them. Early October but still. Brooding outdoors concerns me. My first were brooded inside for 3 weeks then the garage to 7 weeks. The garage was pretty cold and if they hadn't been in the house for 3 weeks probably could have gone outside sooner than 7 weeks but still. I guess maybe I'm just spoiling and babying them but I am so worried they're going to freeze to death out there. Especially since last winter was a very very mild winter and we had barely any snow so I'm worried if this winter will be a real winter.

If you brooder them with a heating pad, they're perfectly fine to go outside. . .and yes, even in a Massachusetts winter. I lived in Stoneham on the North Shore for over a decade, so I know what winters there are like. I can show you pictures of 3-day-old chicks out in the snow, and they're fine as long as they can scoot back into some warmth when they need it (and believe me, chicks know better when they need it than we do). Putting the smaller, brooder coop inside the big run works and it'll help them right off the bat start to get integrated into the flock. They need protection from drafts/winds and wet weather. I broodered my first heating-pad chicks in one of those dollhouse coops with the little enclosed run underneath. It was a really nice setup. I just had to run an extension cord out to the coop and secure the connection where it wouldn't get wet.

The heating pad is so much easier and so much less stressful (for you and the chicks).

Last edited:
You can try storing the seeds you bought this year and they may still be viable next year. It's work for me with herb seeds. I put them all in a plastic bag and shove them in the freezer. Hopefully your memory is better than mine, and you'll remember them next spring!

Thank you! I might try that. That's a good idea. Hopefully I will remember lol

You can try to do a fall garden with frost resistant things like kale and chard or quick growing things like lettuce, spinach, and radishes. You can get herbs like oregano, mint, thyme, sage, and rosemary going now. They will die during winter, but they will regrow in the spring.

Good idea! Already have the kale and maybe I'll pick up some of those other things. Would broccoli work? Have that too.

And it's the perfect time of year to get garlic planted. 

Yep!

Too early for garlic, late october/early november here......for kdogs area too.

No chicky babies here, just waiting for the last batch to start laying in the next few weeks...and contemplating the fall cull list.
Want to build another hoop coop tractor but having trouble lining up transport for panels.

Hmm, maybe I'll get garlic going when it's time. We don't really use much though.

Hopefully you can find transport to get the panels! Or maybe you could get wire? I like the hoop coop plan but pricing it out for my size run i want it winds up being more expensive

Chicks definitely need to be protected from wind and rain and damp...and any electrical connections should be kept bone dry.
Some of the pads used can be washed....but not when they're plugged in
wink.png
Absolutely right!! I brood out in the run, but it's really early in the year and the plastic tarp I put up during the winter protection is still over the run. Is there space to do the setup in your coop, if that's weather proof?

Back
Top Bottom