Mama Heating Pad in the Brooder (Picture Heavy) - UPDATE

That is correct. They'll still be okay. Put them in a ziploc bag and stick them in the frig. Viability may drop a tad for next season, but it'll be okay. I've had seeds for years that I still was able to use. And I mean years. Quote:
Originally Posted by KDOGG331 /img/forum/go_quote.gif ...Anyway, I'm thinking I really like the idea of brooding them in the run and/or coop but the dilemma is our coop isn't really big enough to put a brooder inside, only 4x8. I was thinking of sectioning off part of the new run but I wasn't sure what to do about shelter. Speaking of which, brooding outdoors also brings the dilemma of a power source since there isn't electric to the coop. But it's close enough to the house I could probably run electric via extension cord from the garage or basement out there. I guess maybe I could always save the old coop, put the included little run back together, and stick it inside the bigs run?? That may be the best option. I'm mostly just concerned though about the fact that it's going to be October when I get them. Early October but still. Brooding outdoors concerns me. My first were brooded inside for 3 weeks then the garage to 7 weeks. The garage was pretty cold and if they hadn't been in the house for 3 weeks probably could have gone outside sooner than 7 weeks but still. I guess maybe I'm just spoiling and babying them but I am so worried they're going to freeze to death out there. Especially since last winter was a very very mild winter and we had barely any snow so I'm worried if this winter will be a real winter.
If you brooder them with a heating pad, they're perfectly fine to go outside. . .and yes, even in a Massachusetts winter. I lived in Stoneham on the North Shore for over a decade, so I know what winters there are like. I can show you pictures of 3-day-old chicks out in the snow, and they're fine as long as they can scoot back into some warmth when they need it (and believe me, chicks know better when they need it than we do). Putting the smaller, brooder coop inside the big run works and it'll help them right off the bat start to get integrated into the flock. They need protection from drafts/winds and wet weather. I broodered my first heating-pad chicks in one of those dollhouse coops with the little enclosed run underneath. It was a really nice setup. I just had to run an extension cord out to the coop and secure the connection where it wouldn't get wet. The heating pad is so much easier and so much less stressful (for you and the chicks).
Thanks for all the info and help! That's good to know that even in our winters they will be fine. Definitely helps me worry less. :) Good to know someone else other than me has used the little coop before too. I'm thinking it will hopefully help a lot with integration. That, besides the cold, is my biggest concern because some of the Australorps can be mean. I'm hoping it will help

Thank you! I might try that. That's a good idea. Hopefully I will remember lol
Good idea! Already have the kale and maybe I'll pick up some of those other things. Would broccoli work? Have that too.

Hmm, maybe I'll get garlic going when it's time. We don't really use much though.

Hopefully you can find transport to get the panels! Or maybe you could get wire? I like the hoop coop plan but pricing it out for my size run i want it winds up being more expensive
Broccoli may take too long to mature, and if you plant it too late in the year, it might bolt before developing any proper flower heads if you get a heat wave in September.

Thanks for the info! So when's the best time of year to plant it then?
Spring, as soon as the ground is warm enough to work (not frozen solid). You want to give it a chance to grow and mature before the summer heat. I can grow broccoli year-round where I'm at. I don't get enough warm summer weather for most things, but cool weather veggies love the Pacific Northwest.
Bok Choy and other chinese cabbages are another good choice for quick growing crops that don't mind cool weather. But if you get temps over 75* within a week or two of it sprouting, it will bolt and go to seed before it develops anything edible. Had that happen two years ago in March...

Chicks definitely need to be protected from wind and rain and damp...and any electrical connections should be kept bone dry.
Some of the pads used can be washed....but not when they're plugged in ;)
Thank you aart! That makes sense. I think I'm going back step on the MHP in the run idea, and set up a brooder in my enclosed back porch. I appreciate the guidance!

Spring, as soon as the ground is warm enough to work (not frozen solid). You want to give it a chance to grow and mature before the summer heat. I can grow broccoli year-round where I'm at. I don't get enough warm summer weather for most things, but cool weather veggies love the Pacific Northwest. 
Bok Choy and other chinese cabbages are another good choice for quick growing crops that don't mind cool weather. But if you get temps over 75* within a week or two of it sprouting, it will bolt and go to seed before it develops anything edible. Had that happen two years ago in March...

Thanks!! So should I save them for spring then? Or would later in the fall be good? Maybe I'll go find some lettuce and stuff.

Thanks!! So should I save them for spring then? Or would later in the fall be good? Maybe I'll go find some lettuce and stuff.
Definitely wait till spring. Some varieties can take over 90 days from sprouting to be harvestable. If you don't have that kind of time before the frost/freeze comes, don't plant it. A better/faster growing choice is Broccoli Raab. Most varieties can be harvested in as little as 40 days, and you can continue to harvest, right up until things freeze.

Quote:
To the original question about how long seeds can last. If you can put them in the refrigerator inside a ziplok or other airtight bag, with a dessicant package inside to absorb any little moisture that might have been absorbed by the packages, the seeds will last the longest. However, I've had seeds that were stored completely incorrectly and still sprouted and grew veggies 5-6 years after expiration date. There are a few seeds that are really only good the same year as the package is marked, and parsnips and moonflowers (a flower) are two of those. Other than a few things, though, seeds do last a long time.

Back
Top Bottom