Mama Heating Pad in the Brooder (Picture Heavy) - UPDATE

Just when you think you've seen every possible way for a chick to commit suicide...
That is truly a bummer! I'm sorry for your loss! What are the sides of your brooder made of? My girls are 4-5 weeks old and they are starting to get a little crazy too. I get worried they will try to fly over the brooder edge and hurt themselves, but you can't control everything I guess!

That is truly a bummer! I'm sorry for your loss! What are the sides of your brooder made of? My girls are 4-5 weeks old and they are starting to get a little crazy too. I get worried they will try to fly over the brooder edge and hurt themselves, but you can't control everything I guess!

Chicks are in the top part, rabbits live in the bottom portion. Sides are hardware cloth, with a few wood support pieces. The chick most likely crashed into a wood support and broke it's neck. Death was very quick. And there is absolutely nothing that could have prevented it. My brooder set up is about as safe as it can possibly be. Chicks just have a way of finding new ways to kill themselves. At least it wasn't one that I was planning on keeping anyways. If it was a pullet, she would have been sold. If a cockerel, would have ended in the freezer.

Thanks guys. So flipping it over is okay? I had cocci or whatever its called my first time with chicks so now I'm always worried about poop!

I'm the one who said she flipped the shirt over and inside out...and I don't know the answer to your question but...:pop

My understanding (limited that it is) is that cocci can be a problem when the chicks are exposed to adult poop before they build up their immune systems...I don't think their own poop is an issue, but I hope someone with more knowledge will reassure us!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicken curious

I've been pulling from our fabric scrap pile (shirts my kids have outgrown, but aren't donate-able)

Anyway, I stick to cotton and get 4 uses: front, back, invert...inside front, inside back

then can use the poopy fabric as a weed/grass suppressant for a pathway I'm making : D

Lazy gardener:
Do you use T shirts? Brilliant use of them. Any issues with the chicks climbing inside the shirts?

LazyG,
No. None have gone inside. I typically drape it a bit over the MHP edges and now the huddle box and they just get on top. I guess if it was seriously draping (adult shirt) they might be able to get lost in the folds, but the kids shirts aren't that big. Adults shirts could maybe be folded or, even better, cut.

I'm out of shirts so I cut up some old flannel pjs of mine and some ripped sweats for this next batch...not as many flips, but can also go into yard when done to decompose :)

Quote: The very first thing Mama Broody does with her chicks is take them out and about in the chicken yard where some of their first snacks consist of eating the various assortment of chicken poop that they find on the ground. This is exactly how they build their immunity by eating that poo that is laden with lots of beneficial bacteria and fungi to populate their guts. And, yes, there is also cocci and other pathogens in that poo that they are eating. The issue with cocci is when it overpopulates the good gut flora. Cocci is found in every chicken gut. I give my chicks a plug of sod from my yard within their first week of life. That sod is loaded with beneficial organisms and also has some pathogens in it. During the first 2 weeks after hatch is the prime window for building your chick's immunity b/c they still have antibodies received from their mother. IMO, it's a good idea to get chicks started on FF during that opportune window. One thing I'd not do is expose chicks to WET soil or a wet brooder. IMO, it's also important to give them plenty of room.

Thanks guys. So flipping it over is okay? I had cocci or whatever its called my first time with chicks so now I'm always worried about poop!

I'm the one who said she flipped the shirt over and inside out...and I don't know the answer to your question but...:pop

My understanding (limited that it is) is that cocci can be a problem when the chicks are exposed to adult poop before they build up their immune systems...I don't think their own poop is an issue, but I hope someone with more knowledge will reassure us!!

The very first thing Mama Broody does with her chicks is take them out and about in the chicken yard where some of their first snacks consist of eating the various assortment of chicken poop that they find on the ground.  This is exactly how they build their immunity by eating that poo that is laden with lots of beneficial bacteria and fungi to populate their guts.  And, yes, there is also cocci and other pathogens in that poo that they are eating.  The issue with cocci is when it overpopulates the good gut flora.  Cocci is found in every chicken gut.  I give my chicks a plug of sod from my yard within their first week of life.  That sod is loaded with beneficial organisms and also has some pathogens in it.  During the first 2 weeks after hatch is the prime window for building your chick's immunity b/c they still have antibodies received from their mother.  IMO, it's a good idea to get chicks started on FF during that opportune window.   One thing I'd not do is expose chicks to WET soil or a wet brooder.  IMO, it's also important to give them plenty of room.

Awesome! Whew. So no worries with the fabric shake and flip?

Feeling good after your post :) I, too, did the dirt clod, I ferment their feed, and they moved onto some well built, yet rested, deep litter at about 2 weeks old that probably has some not quite decomposed adult poo from my chickens last year.

New chicks' MHP (or eHen as I like to call it) is ready and was all warmed up earlier in the garage brooder, but the breeder and I delayed the pickup so she can include a few from her current lockdown, too. Once they know where food and water are, I'll make sure to give them a clod to enjoy and then they and their eHen will move into the coop with the 6 week olds after a few days.

One thing I didn't like about the 'pad-under' design was the fat and clunky bungies.....
.....but I had some 10" bungies and got some more that were 6 & 8" at the hardware store.
Worked pretty slick, and took care of the pad being longer than the rack(I think)...we'll see how it holds up long term.

I just picked up some of these bungees today :) I'll FINALLY be putting my contraption together tomorrow as it's OVERDUE for the chicks to move out to the in-coop brooder. I'm excited. And nervous. But mostly excited. Thanks for the idea!

Back
Top Bottom