Mama Heating Pad in the Brooder (Picture Heavy) - UPDATE

They look so cute! The more I see silkies, the more I think I want some. I just don't know what I would do with the extra roos. I don't think I could eat that black meat.

It's yummy and makes delicious soup! I wish I could raise some for meat (increasing their size as the project). But I only have so much space and bandwidth for projects...

- Ant Farm

It's yummy and makes delicious soup! I wish I could raise some for meat (increasing their size as the project). But I only have so much space and bandwidth for projects...

- Ant Farm

If we all had 100 acres and unlimited funds, we could have all kinds of projects going!

The meat may be yummy, but I don't think I could wrap my head around it.

They look so cute! The more I see silkies, the more I think I want some. I just don't know what I would do with the extra roos. I don't think I could eat that black meat.

Around here, they're in pretty high demand so I think I'll be able to sell them pretty easily. I really hope i have at least 2 hens out of these 3, but we'll see! I don't think I could eat these guys...they're my first chicken babies and I'm totally attached!

The tub I have them in is about 3x2. I plan to get them into the coop
In the next week or so depending on how they tolerate the cold. So far they're taking it like champs! And it's really cold here today! They are indeed my first chickens ever
:) so I'll turn my 4x6 coop into a brooder when they're ready and when my 10 ordered chicks from Meyer come on the 12th, I'm hoping to sneak them in with these 3 silkies, but I can keep them separate if need be.

Oh that's awesome! Sounds like you know what you're doing then! :)

Eventually you may need to expand :p but my chicks coop isn't very big (it was a kit) but we added a run so I think with a run theyll all be fine. Thougg you might need to,expand just because you're gonna want more :p

These are my first too and also from Meyer! Mine hatched October 26th they are. I was keeping really vigilant track but the last week or so I sort of lost track. I think they just turned 10 weeks old Monday so yesterday (losing track of the days too xD). We don't have silkies or bantams though but rather all standards. Had 9 but one died early so now have 8. Also added the free one. You may be able to guess by looking at numbers which breed died and which was the free one hah 1 Barred Rock, 2 Black Australorp, 3 Buff Orpington, 2 Easter Egger. They are ADORABLE. You will love your babies! What breeds are you getting?

Also, blooie, how did scout get frost bite? Because their water keeps freezing and it was out last night (maybe I should be bringing it in?) So this time got completely frozen, even inside and where it pours out, so couldn't open it so,had to put a small round rubber cake pan out there (completely open) for now so I can pop ice out but I saw one perch on, maybe in, it and am really concerned about frost bitten feet. However my mom says the water's warmer than the snow. Plus the snow's wet too so I don't know. Hopefully we can switch to the nipple waterer soon enough but for now they needed water and fast. Do you think adults get frost bitten feet or was it just that scout didn't have the feathers yet to,warm them up??

Last edited:
I've learned so much from this thread! I'm ordering my heating pad today and am picking up our 6 baby chicks on the 19th. The coop/run is nearly finished--just have to seal the floor of the coop and buy all the supplies. I began getting nervous about having a light on them 24/7, the dust in the house, etc. and am thrilled to learn I can brood them outside in our insulated and predator proof coop. Thanks again--this site is amazing!

Wow. Just wow. I came over here from the incubating w\ friends thread, where everybody has been "egging" me to inubate now, but I was worried about the temps if I had a hatch in mid january! Would the heating pad support young chicks in - 20 temps? Or would they need to be inside, or in a bin with a heatlamp as well and more heating pads?? I'm very interested in this method!

I am in Manitoba Canada
Our MHP is in a wire partitioned part of the hen house. Minus 29C, and the chicks were fine. No wind, good ventilation. Everyone can see them, and once they are feathered, they will be integrated...

There are windows with a roost over a poop board, for sun bathing.

A dry chicken, is a happy chicken... That is the coldest we have been this year, so far.

Back
Top Bottom