Mama Heating Pad in the Brooder (Picture Heavy) - UPDATE

Heck, and I think @Henless and I should be getting a kickback from the Sunbeam company!
lau.gif

Quote:
Both the heating pads I have manual switches, so no auto off. Plus because they aren't digital so they turn back on if the power goes out. I have no idea what brand the old one was, but the other one was a Conair that I found at family dollar for $12 I believe.

Funny how different we all are. As great as these other pads are, I'll stick to what I have. I like the finer temperature control, but then I raise mine outdoors from the start. Those of you who raise them indoors don't have the temperature swings mine experience outside, so that ability to "fine tune" the heat is just what I need for my situation.

I want to move my two week old chicks out to the grow out coop in a few days. It is one of those prefab coops with a raised coop and a run underneath. the floor of coop is metal with pine shavings on top. will the heating pad provide enough heat or do I need to insulate the floor somehow? If so, do you think a piece of plywood under mama heating pad would be enough? (It's in the 40s at night)

I want to move my two week old chicks out to the grow out coop in a few days. It is one of those prefab coops with a raised coop and a run underneath. the floor of coop is metal with pine shavings on top. will the heating pad provide enough heat or do I need to insulate the floor somehow? If so, do you think a piece of plywood under mama heating pad would be enough? (It's in the 40s at night)

My 2 week olds are headed to the outdoors tonight. It gets 10-20 degrees here at night. They will do fine..

BUT I have a non-fluffing chick

Any idea how to get her to fluff?

You can't see them but under my heating pad brooder are: 2 Ameraucana, 2 Black Australorp, 2 Buff Orpingtons, 2 Plymouth Rock and 2 Brahmas.

Yours came with chaperones? How big was the shipping box?

Cute all the way around.

I would think the plywood would be a good idea. I'm sure the chicks would make short work of finding the cold metal floor under the shavings.

My 2 week olds are headed to the outdoors tonight. It gets 10-20 degrees here at night. They will do fine..

BUT I have a non-fluffing chick

Any idea how to get her to fluff?

Um, a blow dryer?

I rally have no idea since I've never hatched chicks but (hoping I'm wrong) maybe you have a chick with feather problems.

Back
Top Bottom